KEY TO MAP
||Near the site of General Montcalm's 1st battery, now sits
the Old Courthouse, which contains exhibits and a book & gift shop.
||Landing area, called Artillery Cove, for Montcalm's
cannons & mortars.
||The site of Montcalm's Camp during the siege
||Deliberately sunk, as a winter's hiding place ... to be
reused later ... were 260 bateaux belonging to the British &
||Montcalm's Entrenchments ran from here as the French army
dug ever closer in their artillery bombardment.
||A walkway called Warship Row, the scene of various
activities of French raiders & Rogers' Rangers between early 1757
||Started in 1817, The Lake George Steamboat Company still
launches boat tours from here, describing the history of Lake George.
||One of three Military Docks used by British &
provincial troops for loading & unloading supplies.
||A Radeau Warship, built & launched from this site now
lies beneath 107 feet of Lake George water two miles northward.
||General William Johnson's command tent was located near
here during the Battle of Lake George in 1755.
||The ruins of Fort George, the never-completed descendant
of Fort William Henry.
||Representing the first Americans is this
Indian Memorial ... once an integral part of the region's fabric.
||Killed during the Battle of Lake George,
are these 4 Unknown Soldiers buried at this place.
||During the siege of Boston, during the early
stages of the Revolutionary War, Henry Knox passed through this area laden with artillery captured from Fort Ticonderoga to the north.
||Winifred S. LaRose Monument memorializes a
great conservationist who did much to preserve what we have of this
||A Patron Saint, Father Isaac Jogues, who
originally named Lake George Lac Du Saint-Sacrement, was twice
captured, tortured, and finally killed by Mohawks.
||The reconstructed Fort William Henry stands
here today ... Guardian of Lake George!
||Monument to the defenders of Fort William
Henry during the siege of 1757 ... The 35th Regiment of Foot, commanded
by Lt. Colonel George Monro.
||A Common Stone ... hauled in from the
Mohawk River ... commemorates the common men who constructed, fought
& died at Fort William Henry.
||Here, at the Fort William Henry Cemetery
& Memorial, site of the old colonial cemetery, are the remains of
men killed in the siege and massacre.
The entire tour is 3.3 miles
long, round trip, and takes about 2 hours of walking time. See these
historic places, etched in our minds via The Last of the Mohicans, and