The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/19/2024 5:29:49 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The GREAT MOHICAN GATHERINGS
 Gathering Gossip & Ganders [?]
 What's Happenin'? - Remnants of 2003 Gathering ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: The UN-Gathering 2003, Part III Topic Next Topic: The 2003 UN-Gathering, Part II
Page: of 2

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 28 2003 :  06:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Received several inquiries over the last little spell wondering various things about the "postponed" [till June 2004] 2003 Great Mohican Gathering. To be honest, I know very little. Maybe some of you can fill in the details here for all to see. From as far away as Missouri [the Stanglers - Phil & Karen] I've had queries as to who'll be there, where, when, and should I come???

I don't know!!!

Personally, with much of my time off utilized during Sophia's hospitalization/homecoming, I'm not sure what I'll be doing, though I hope to hook up with whoever, if only for a day.

Here's what I know [or, think I know]:
  • Marc & Cherie will be here, at Dupont at least, I think, for a little bit
  • Gadget Girl, Theresa, and Christina have talked about meeting up at CRP [or the Tiki Bar, at least!?!]
  • Stephanie Smurf, too, has mentioned being on the Cliff Trail, if only to fling herself off in desperation [though I hope that can be averted now that the 2004 plans are much more solidified!]
  • There's some sort of shooting gathering up at the French Broads on Sunday, June 22, and I think Fitz & Mac, at least, will be there
Did I miss anyone/thing? I'm sure Eric & Sharon could be hijinked into meeting up someplace, as well.

So, maybe post your details as you know them and help make a "mini"-Gathering happen!
report to moderator

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 28 2003 :  07:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
....and once we've taken care of everything "Tiki" I would love to drive out to the French Broads for a little shootin' practice (and maybe even some hawk throwing?....NO FOOT RACE!).

Theresa
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 28 2003 :  07:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
AND DON'T FORGET CECELIA!!!! She'll be hangin' with the Tiki Crowd!!

We'll most likely hit CRP, at least to offer a eulogy (or cliff flingin' as the case may be) for this year's gathering. The Tiki Broads are hopin' to meet up with the French Broads (or Freedom Broads???? - JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING!!!!!). We plan on being there from Thursday through Sunday. I dare say there will be no 3AM starts for sunrise viewing ANYWHERE that weekend, no Bataan Death Marches, and NO KEYS LOCKED IN CARS!!!! Saving those festivities for next year !

Marc and Cherie, what day are you guys planning on being at Dupont??

GG

hawkeye
Pioneer

Longhunter With Child
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 28 2003 :  08:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cherie and I'll be gettting into the area the evening of 13 June (Friday). I plan on hiking DuPont the following morning. I don't know if Cherie will make the hike or not (she has immediate family that live in the area and may be speding time with them). But I simply cannot be that close to DuPont and not hike it at least a little. My plan right now, is to hit both High and Triple Falls and drive around the back side and hike to Bridal Veil.

I'd love to have company if anyone would like to meet up. Rich mentioned some time ago that he might be up for a hike if family commitments permit.

Marc

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 28 2003 :  09:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well Poooooo! Marc you guys will be there the weekend before us. The 19-22nd is the weekend we'll be there. I guess we'll just have to hike behind you I suppose and look for any droppings.....er, I mean signs of your passing! Sorry, we'll miss you guys!!!

GG

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 28 2003 :  1:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As if right on cue, found the following letter waiting for me in the Mohican Press mail box at the P.O. Thought it was worth sharing:

Bob Penland, Pres.
French Broad Rifles Muzzle Loading Assoc.
6 Alclare Dr.
Asheville, NC 28804

19 May, 2003

Rich Federici
PO Box 123
Marion, NC 28752

Dear Rich,

As President of the FBR, I want you to know how sorry we were to hear that the 2003 Great Mohican Gathering had
been canceled. We certainly enjoyed hosting your group last year and were looking forward to an even bigger event this
year. Hopefully, there will be a 2004 Gathering and we hope you will include us in your plans.

Our club recognizes that you have been instrumental in bringing together people in the Mohican Gathering who share a
love of American history. As traditional muzzleloaders, the French Broad Rifles certainly fall into that group. Even
though the 2003 Mohican Gathering will not be held, our club would like to invite you to our regular practice shoot on
Sunday, June 22 at noon. If you know of any in your group that would be in the area on that date, please let them know
that they are invited as well. I know when Bob Ray received word from Ann of the cancellation, there were several
e-mails flying back and forth from other folks hoping to at least have an opportunity for an informal gathering. The
French Broad Rifles will provide extra guns, powder, and ball for you and any guest to use. Please let me know if this is
something that will fit into your schedule. I look forward to hearing from you and hope to see you on June 22.

Your Most Humble Servant,
Bob Penland

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 28 2003 :  5:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well then....let's go!!

Theresa

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - May 28 2003 :  10:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will definitely be in Chimney Rock/Geneva June 20-21, and maybe a half day on June 22. I'll be returning late late late Thursday night from Phoenix after spending four days in a convention center with 9,000 people at a church convention (I cover religion for our paper) so rest assured I will be up for cliff-flinging, tomahawk throwing, shooting, and knock you naked sweet potato queen margaritas. Can't wait to see any and all who show up! Bring it on!

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 02 2003 :  7:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lady Ann passed along these directions, courtesy of the 2002 Gathering. For any of you folk who plan to be here that weekend, here they are for your convenience. Hope you join us! [I say us, but I'm not even 100% sure I'll be there. Hopefully!]

From the Geneva, find your way to I-40. [I usually take Route 9 over the mountain from Chimney Rock and pick it up at Back Mountain. Take I-40 to I-240 (the Asheville beltway) and take the right fork (toward Hwy. 70).]

Stay straight on I-240, taking no exits (not even the big one labeled Highway 19-23!), until it turns into Patton Avenue (literally, I-240 seems to become Patton Avenue, with stop lights and everything).

Go up Patton
Avenue for several blocks until you reach the Leicester HWY
(also HWY 63) intersection.

Turn right onto Leicester.

Stay on Leicester for about 12.6 miles, until you come to the intersection with Meadows Town Road (also SR 1001).

Turn right onto Meadows Town Road.

Go down about 2.7 miles to Piney Grove Church Road (Piney Grove Baptist Church will be on your left hand side, on a little hill).

Turn left onto Piney Grove Church Road, and go up about 1.2 mile to where the road forks.

Take the right fork and just keep going uphill. You will pass trailers, a big white farm house and a barn on your right, and the road will turn from gravel to dirt. Keep going and you will see the rifle range and areas to park. Do not get out of your car coming up the hill on the dirt road....both sides of the road are
covered in poison ivy!

Sounds like a courier being sent from the fort! Happy Shooting!

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 02 2003 :  8:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

Lady Ann passed along these directions, courtesy of the 2002 Gathering. For any of you folk who plan to be here that weekend, here they are for your convenience. Hope you join us! [I say us, but I'm not even 100% sure I'll be there. Hopefully!]

Well now, HOPEFULLY you WILL. It'd be a shame to get to the French Broads with no Sachem in sight.

I, for one, am looking SOOOO forward to a relaxing time in them thar hills.

Theresa

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 02 2003 :  10:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christina

I will definitely be in Chimney Rock/Geneva June 20-21, and maybe a half day on June 22. I'll be returning late late late Thursday night from Phoenix after spending four days in a convention center with 9,000 people at a church convention (I cover religion for our paper) so rest assured I will be up for cliff-flinging, tomahawk throwing, shooting, and knock you naked sweet potato queen margaritas. Can't wait to see any and all who show up! Bring it on!

We live just 30 miles East of Phoenix! If you ever want a break, let us know! I would love to have a fellow Mohicanlander come visit!
Caitlin

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Mac
Lost in the Wilderness

June 06 2002

Posted - June 04 2003 :  11:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just wanted to include a few more details about directions to the French Broad Range. After turning onto Piney Grove Church Rd, you will go until you reach a tee in the road. The large white farmhouse is straight ahead and the small trailer park is on the right of the tee. Turn left onto a rough farm road and go past a barn on your left. Continue until you reach a gate. If the gate is closed, you will have to open it, drive through, and go back to close it. If it is open continue driving straight ahead and you will see a grassy parking area next to the range. To repeat, the road from the farmhouse back to the range is ROUGH. I would not recommend driving it with a really low-slung car. I hope to see Rich and any other wandering Mohicanlanders at the French Broad Range on June 22. It should be a lot of fun.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 05 2003 :  07:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Mac!

As far as I know, I'll be there. Claude will not be able to make it and he is truly disappointed that he will miss out on seeing you again. Reading your directions sure does paint the picture in my mind of exactly how it looks. Looking forward to it and can't wait!!

Theresa

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 10 2003 :  06:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I'm out for next weekend at Dupont - very sorry, Marc & Cherie! - dear old Mom is down for my oldest daughter's Confirmation this past Sunday, plus to see Sophia & the rest ... Her original intent was to stay but a few days, however she's extended through next weekend for Father's Day.

Still workin' on the following weekend at CRP and/or FBR - if my car doesn't disintegrate before then I just might be able to make one or both!

hawkeye
Pioneer

Longhunter With Child
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 10 2003 :  10:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

Well, I'm out for next weekend at Dupont - very sorry, Marc & Cherie! - dear old Mom is down for my oldest daughter's Confirmation this past Sunday, plus to see Sophia & the rest ... Her original intent was to stay but a few days, however she's extended through next weekend for Father's Day.

Sorry to hear that Rich, but glad you'll be able to spend the time with family. If plans change at the last moment and you think you can find the time... give me a call on my cell (540.226.3068) and mabye we can still arrange a "2 mile" walk. Hope you have a good time the following weekend!

Marc

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 10 2003 :  1:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So, Marc! Get any obscene calls on yer cell phone, yet?!?

I figure this might make for a good case study of exactly what kind of clientèle we really have around here! If anyone mentions high-heels & red saranwrap, I know who it is!!! Let me know ...

hawkeye
Pioneer

Longhunter With Child
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 10 2003 :  2:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

There are other kinds??!!

quote:
I figure this might make for a good case study of exactly what kind of clientèle we really have around here! If anyone mentions high-heels & red saranwrap, I know who it is!!! Let me know ...

Certainly not within our austere group of crazies...err... respectable members?! I'm not worried... I run around dressed in leather and carry multiple edged weapons. Bring on the nuts!

Marc

Cherie
Colonial Settler

Bug
USA

July 02 2002

Posted - June 11 2003 :  08:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh My.. The things that could be said about that !!! I wonder if his Marine Corps buddies know about the leather?

Support our Country, our President and our Troops

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 11 2003 :  1:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This could be arranged. Actually, they might already know - one never knows who might be a-lurkin'.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 11 2003 :  3:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by hawkeye

quote:

There are other kinds??!!

quote:

Certainly not within our austere group of crazies...err... respectable members?! I'm not worried... I run around dressed in leather and carry multiple edged weapons. Bring on the nuts!

Marc

Cherie,

It's that "bring on the nuts" quote that has me concerned. For some reason I see breechclout viewing atop Table Rock in my mind.

Theresa

Cherie
Colonial Settler

Bug
USA

July 02 2002

Posted - June 11 2003 :  5:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No Kidding Theresa !!! See this is what happens when " MEN GO WILD " And you thought those pictures/videos were only shot at the beach!!!

Support our Country, our President and our Troops

Donna
Colonial Settler

last of the mohicans
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 17 2003 :  1:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Donna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For the 1st time since 1998, I'm not on my way to North Carolina.
2003 was not meant to be. On Memorial day I twisted my ankle really
bad. It's still hurting. So, it's better for me that it was cancelled.
Even though I was very tempted to come anyway, before my accident.
So here I am at work. I miss everyone. It's been the highlight of
my summer for the last 5 years. I'm hoping it all comes together for
2004. It would be great if everyone could make it.
Here's wishing everyone a great summer! Donna

Been onboard since 1998.

"Push hard, 'cos you got to clear the French outpost by dawn."

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 17 2003 :  5:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Donna!

So sorry to hear about your ankle. I thought I remember something being said about you possibly coming to join us this week(end) for some relaxation and fun in the hills. We will miss you. And I concur....I hope everyone will be able to make 2004. Take care of yourself!

Theresa

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 18 2003 :  10:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Donna, Sorry to hear about your injury. Take care of it so you'll be back up to snuff by June 2004!!!!!!!!
Stephanie

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 18 2003 :  5:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Donna

For the 1st time since 1998, I'm not on my way to North Carolina.
2003 was not meant to be. On Memorial day I twisted my ankle really
bad. It's still hurting. So, it's better for me that it was cancelled.
Even though I was very tempted to come anyway, before my accident.
So here I am at work. I miss everyone. It's been the highlight of
my summer for the last 5 years. I'm hoping it all comes together for
2004. It would be great if everyone could make it.
Here's wishing everyone a great summer! Donna

Hi Donna,
It actually was good for us too that G2003 was postponed. We're crossing our fingers for G2004! It would be wonderful to see everyone again after all these years!!

Hope your ankle gets better!
all our best,
caitlin & jeff

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 18 2003 :  6:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So, I stood there at work, looking out the lobby window - on this, what would have been the 1st day of Gathering VI - and had some major mixed feelings. Certainly, I felt I was supposed to be elsewhere doing something else. But, no. I was selling stamps. But, looking out that window, at the drizzle & rain ... well, it sure wasn't the perfect day to hold a Gathering ... humid, too, very dreary ... at least here in Marion. Not too hot, though. I figure that right about now we'd be breaking up from The Elk Hunt area ... Oh, well.

WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!!

For those of you ... Diana, Theresa, Christina ... still coming from out of area, the wet weather we've been having for what seems an eternity looks like it's going to break in another day or so. Weekend looks beautiful!

See you at the French Broads? Or, is that with the French Broads?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The UN-Gathering 2003, Part III Topic Next Topic: The 2003 UN-Gathering, Part II  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.48 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07