The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/25/2024 4:00:19 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Weekly Update ... !
 Mohican Press For Sale?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Re-doing Things Topic Next Topic: Some New Additions To The Site!
Page: of 4

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2004 :  8:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That is great that we now have Stephanie, Nancy, and Doc!!! Y'all are wonderful!!! Doc, I am hoping that we are going to get alot more names so that the cost will go down, but you are right, any little bit helps!!! It looks good so far. I know that there are alot more of Rich's friends that will help out. We just have to give them time to see this thread and add their names to the list.
Okay, here is the list so far.

1. Kay D.
2. Mary G.
3. Diane B.
4. Smurfette Stephanie
5. Nancy M.
6. Doc M

love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 06 2004 :  11:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
#7. Theresa

Count me in as well. Can't imagine not having this place to come to. I know that it would be much harder for Rich to let this place go than for any of us to lose it. Let me know what to do and when to do it.

Theresa

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 07 2004 :  05:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hold on for a moment here, folks ... I am - as always - overwhelmed by the enthusiasm & support - but just hold on ...

My initial post was not meant to be a comprehensive "state of the union" type of post ... It was mainly to see if I could get any nibbles on a purchase [which I doubted I would, and so far haven't] to see if it was even a realistic notion.

I'll speak more on the cooperative side of things this weekend, OK? Don't panic!

And, thanks to the Sarge, who joined Kaye and Gadget Girl in the donation department.

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 07 2004 :  06:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,
Look at it this way. You have had the burden of the financial responsibilities all of these years. I know how you hate to ask for money, so if some of us pitch in and help out, that will make life alot easier for you. I figure that if we can donate $5.00 or $10.00 a month to keep our favorite website going, then it will be well worth it. We love you!!!!! and we aren't going to let you down!!! Here is our new list:

1. Kay D.
2. Mary G.
3. Diane B.
4. Smurfette Stephanie
5. Nancy M.
6. Doc M
7. Theresa W.

We only need one more person to make it $10.00 a month, or 8 more people to make it $5.00 a month. Come on, let's see some more names added to the list!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 08 2004 :  05:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, too to Bookworm ... your donation arrived yesterday!

Like I say - I'll talk soon on this matter ...

kdpat
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

January 03 2004

Posted - October 08 2004 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I hope I'm doing this right!! I always get confused when trying to reply on here!
Anyways ..... Kay, Count me in for money each month or year or how ever you want to do it (I take it,YOU will be heading this up?)
NOW!! If I can figure out how to send this ????
Love ya, Pat
[
quote:
Originally posted by Kaylynn44

Rich,
I sure hope that you don't ever sell out because I can't see anybody running this site except for you!!! I mean, YOU are MohicanPress.
We do need to figure out a way for more money to be generated for the site. Maybe if starting at the beginning of the year, we can ask for membership dues? We could do something special for the members. If we could get 100 people to donate $20.00, then that will be $2000.00 for the site and you won't have to worry so much about the finances and you will stop thinking about selling out!!! Come on gang, do y'all have any ideas for making money for the site?
Let's put our heads together and help Rich out!!!

Love,
Kay

Pat

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 08 2004 :  10:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Pat,
That is so great that you want to help out too!!! Now we have eight people signed up!!!
Nope, not heading this thing up, just trying to see how many of us can help Rich out with the financial end. I figure that if we can get enough people to sign up, then it will just cost all who want to help out just a few dollars a month to keep this website up and for Rich not to have to shoulder the whole responsibility. He has to pay $960.00 a year to keep MohicanPress going. I just think that it would be nice if we can just lighten the load for him.
Now, I am so glad that you were able to post on the board. You did real good girl!!! You know that I love you!!!
Here is the new list:

1. Kay D.
2. Mary G.
3. Diane B.
4. Smurfette Stephanie
5. Nancy M.
6. Doc M
7. Theresa W.
8. Pat D.

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 10 2004 :  07:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As promised ...

First of all, let me clarify expenses. The $80 I mentioned above pays for the web site hosting - rent, if you will. In addition, there are the merchant account fees that allow the taking of credit cards - $20-$25 per month - plus the regular bank fees of $11 per month for the business account, and Internet connection fees which I won't count since I - or a buyer, I'd assume - would be paying that fee anyway for their other Internet & E-mail usage.

So, at the present time, it actually costs at least $111 per month to maintain this site. That's not counting the domain name registration which costs something like $25 every two years ... I forget the exact amount.

One could do away with the merchant account & not take credit cards, but that is where the bulk of sales come from. And, they could have the funds go directly in their personal account, but that makes tax-time more difficult.

Still, as it is, it takes a mere 6 book sales per month to cover the site. Plus, for me, since I have no income to speak of at this time, I need the additional $16 to connect to the Internet to maintain the site, if nothing else. So, that's 7 books.

Not happening these days ...

Regarding a cooperative effort:
  • Membership Fees: No. Won't go that route. It has to be a voluntary thing.
  • Donations: Voluntary donations are acceptable. There have been "DONATION" buttons on all our Menu Pages for a year now ... not a single donation through them [of course, they are limited to a PayPal donation]. Yesterday, I put a button on the Board.
  • Sales: That's the best way. Besides keeping the site afloat, you get something for your money!

So - Menu Pages? Yeah, the first page of each of the main sections of this Web Site:

Pathfinding
Gatherings
Musings
Script
History
Soundtrack
Storefront
Humor
Links

PayPal? Yes ... but you must set up a free account with them. A great way to make Internet purchases ... it is fast, easy, and secure. We've used it since our selling of the Killdeer replica days without any problems. PayPal

But, think of this: At any given time there are, for the sake of argument, 300 registered users of this Board. More really, but we'll stick with 300. If each user paid $1.00 every three months [.33 cents a month or a penny a day, roughly], we'd be just about there. Not counting a single sale!

That ain't ever gonna happen, but it's just a thought.

So, I will graciously accept any voluntary donations, and your name will be added to the Board's Contributing Member scrolling list.

Sales, though, that's how I'd prefer it!

Ok ... OK ... how many copies can you buy of my book?

Please see the STOREFRONT link above for other options! We have affiliate programs set up with Amazon.com, All Posters, History Channel, and the Catholic Exchange [not part of the Storefront]. We get credit for any purchase made through those pages. Take Amazon [BOOKSTORE] ... We all buy books, videos, DVDs, CDs, software, etc., right? Buy it through our store & we get credit - $$$. Ok, it might cost you a bit more - then again, maybe not - but, if you want to assist ... Clicking directly on a product link obviously gets us credit, but so does ANY purchase [using the Amazon Search] as long as you enter via our page!

One problem ... when it comes to donations, if the idea ever caught on, it

Rich
Mohican Press

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 10 2004 :  08:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,
I like the "donation" button on the board. It will make it alot easier. Now I just have to get some money in my PayPal. I haven't been doing too many eBay auctions lately, so my account is kind of pitiful!!!
I understand how you feel about having mandantory membership dues. I knew that it was a bad idea when I suggested it.
Sales of the books are a great idea, but like you said, we can only buy just so many books. I know, I still haven't bought mine yet, but I will.
I still think that simple donations are the best way to go. You get 100% of the money and that way you can pay whatever needs paid.
Now that everybody knows that you really need some help here, even though we have only had eight people to sign up to send a monthly donation, others might send a donation here and there. I know that we won't all be able to send $10.00 a month. I think that some of us are on a real tight budget, but even if anyone (and that includes the people that have signed up to send $10.00) can send two or three dollars a month, it really adds up if we all pitch in!!! We talk about this group as being a family, well doesn't a family help out whenever they can?
Okay, I will shut up about this, but please, if you can afford to send a little money to Rich to help out with the website maintenance. Please think about sending a donation or buying a book, or any of the other suggestions that Rich made.

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 11 2004 :  10:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
JUST BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION:

If you use the DONATION button to contribute, PayPal tacks on an additional $2.00 for S&H. I cannot recall why.

In any event, make your contribution $2 less than you want to. In other words, if you plan to donate $10, make it $8. With the additional $2 that PayPal automatically adds in, I will receive the full $10. Otherwise, you'll find yourself donating $12.

Understood???

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - October 14 2004 :  11:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What we do at the Studigroup is request annual dues of $20.00, but it is optional, unless one plans to attend our gathering, and then it is necessary to pay the $20 to be an "Official Member". Perhaps dues could be figured in as part of the cost of attending the gathering.

Also, one clarification. My sentence as to having "bought" the Studigroup meant that I undertook the expense and the responsibility. I did not purchase the group. I put "bought" in quotations because it was a figure of speech. Don't want to create any misunderstandings here.

Yogi
Pathfinder

May 29 2002

Posted - November 13 2004 :  10:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Rich,

Know I'm a bit late to post on this subject, but Yogi and I hope you can hang in there and continue to host Mohicanland. It's obvious that this site and you are beloved by many and would be greatly missed.
Best wishes,
Pat

HuronHarpie
Pathfinder

USA

August 01 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 23 2004 :  11:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Count me in too.
Ros

Rosalinda Haddon

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 17 2006 :  10:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here's an update -

I borrowed money against my retirement - for other reasons - but had a little left over, so I paid the website up for a year. First time ever I was able to do that. That was in August, 2006. I'll see how we are situated next summer. It is getting increasingly difficult for me on many levels.

The domain name has been extended.

Visitation now numbers between 6 and 8 thousand - on average - every single day.

As I write this, there are currently 504 registered members of this board. [Keep in mind, non-participating members are deleted after six months] ...

Had a nice little flurry of book sales in November, but before that, it was bone-dry for several months. A very good thing I did pay for a year, or there would have been serious trouble!

Presently, there are a hundred, or so, copies of the 2005 revised edition in stock.

The scrolling marquee is updated on this board's main page. Thank you Steph for your continuing monthly contribution. You are an Angel!

So, not sure if this is good or bad news ... just reporting the facts, ma'am, just the facts!

On another - somewhat loosely associated subject - I have heard from many of you via E-mail and/or Christmas cards who have asked how I am doing ... I apologize for answering very few of them. Perhaps soon, if I can figure a way to write it up without sounding too depressing - - I'll post a comprehensive report to answer you all.

Merry Christmas, folks!

Rich
Mohican Press

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 18 2006 :  09:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kaylynn add my name to that list. Rich, forget about it! We cannot imagine anyone leading us other than you! I completely understand your financial stresses. When I got divorced I got stuck with all of my ex-husband's debts and have spent the past three years struggling to find a way to pay them off. Thankfully my mother and father have made the offer for me to move back home for the year that my boyfriend is in Iraq and work only to clear the debts. I will be financially stress free during the next year and hopefully from there on out!

Now as far as a membership fee....I have no problems with that. We all use this site almost everyday and I think we should all help out with the site however we can. I personally have been with this site for two or three years and don't want to see it go "belly up".

I have looked around the store front at some of the merchandise you have for sale on here. I will be doing a bit of shopping in the new year so maybe that will help as well. Oh and I don't know if you would have to get permission but, have you thought about selling some of the merchandise with different pictures or maybe some logos? For example...The track suit set you have for sale....maybe you could put "Mohican Press Member" on the back or a pic of Eric Schweig (again the whole permission thing). You seem to have a million Uncas lovers on here....what better way to peak some interest in the store front! I would definitely buy a shirt with his face on it!

Anyways, I hope we can all come together and figure out a way to get you out of the red! Whatever needs to be done...definitely count me in See you on the trail!

"I teach the dance...the passion is yours to find."

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 18 2006 :  9:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,
Sometimes you just have to remind us of the expenses. I think that we take it for granted that this site will always be around and that just isn't the case if there is no funding for it. I will be making a New Year's resolution to help out more. You know, if we have 504 registered members and each member pledged $10.00 a year, then that is $5040.00. Rich would never have to worry about finances again. In fact, he could take us all out to dinner at the next Gathering. Okay, I know that not all of the members are going to send in $10.00, but even if half of the members sent in $10.00, then that would still be plenty to keep the site going. Okay, in January I am sending Rich $10.00. Who else wants to help out??? Come on gang, this site is for all of us, so let's all help out. Just send a check to Rich at:

MOHICAN PRESS
PO BOX 123
MARION, NC 28752

We all need to help out before it is too late!!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 18 2006 :  10:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I truly believe this site has provided at least $10 worth of entertainment, information, fun, and friendship for most of us here. Think about it, what's it worth to you?
You don't even have to waste a stamp (sorry Rich)... you can click on the "Make a Donation" link on this website and send your donation via Paypal. Just remember that it automatically adds $2 shipping so if you want to donate $10, just type in $8 instead! Clear it up any?

Thanks, Rich, for all you do for us and for the website.
Steph

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - December 19 2006 :  07:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd certainly be willing to send $10/year, sort of like membership fees. Considering all the time I spend on this site, $10 would be a bargain, to say the least!

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 19 2006 :  08:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Count me in! Okay Kaylynn....when do we send in our money? Should we all do it on a specific day or just whenever? If we all do it on one designated day we can call it the "Rich Appreciation" Day!

I agree with Stephanie 100% about the fact that this board offers more than $10 worth of entertainment! You can't even go to the movies for that amount these days!

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2006 :  11:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmm, I wonder if Uncle Sam would allow us to make it like a tax donation?
(anyway to avoid those darn high taxes...)

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 19 2006 :  4:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dancer,
Why don't we just designate January as "Rich Appreciation Month." That way, we don't have one particular day to send it, but if Rich could receive the donations the first month of the year, that would really start 2007 off right, wouldn't it?
Like Steph said, you can always send it PayPal, but if you don't have a PayPal account, just send it to the Mohican Press address.

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - December 20 2006 :  08:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds wonderful to me. So there it is....January is now the official "Rich Appreciation" month! Hiphip...hurray!!!! Hee hee hee!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 21 2006 :  06:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You are embarrassing me ... that is not necessary.

If half the folks who registered here bought "On the Trail ...", or used the Frontier Shoppe to purchase their books & movies, or ... well, you get the idea ... it's really that simple.

Anyway, as I said, paid up till August '07.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - December 21 2006 :  10:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, yeah, yeah...we know.

I'll pitch in $10 too. Like Red said, "I'll definately get my $$$'s worth!)

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - December 21 2006 :  11:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You can have my ten bucks too if you need it Rich

IG
Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Re-doing Things Topic Next Topic: Some New Additions To The Site!  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.58 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07