The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/10/2024 10:58:39 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 In The Tavern ... Wenches, Wahoos, and Girty!
 Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (Part-1) - 24 July 1764
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (Part-2) - 12 August 1764 Topic Next Topic: The Go-Betweens (Part-5)  -  20 June 1764  

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 18 2005 :  10:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
“Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum” (Part One) By Sgt. Munro

Fort Pitt, The Ohio Country

24 July 1764 / 2040 Hours

Captain William Grant, of the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment and post commandant, was seated at his desk enjoying a well-earned glass of Madeira. The arrival of Francis Cooper’s mission, three weeks ago, had been the start of a bustle of activity at the fort; there was much to prepare for the arrival of men and material, all of which needed space. Brush needed to be cleared from around the fort’s perimeter, so as to give a clear field of view for the sentries, as well as to ready the ground for the ‘tent-city’ that would soon appear. Construction of the additional huts in the fort’s ‘Lower Town’, would help alleviate some of the congestion by giving the officers and senior warrant-men new quarters, thereby freeing up some much needed barrack space. With quill now in hand, Captain Grant started his report to Colonel Bouquet:

Fort Pitt, July ye 24th of 1764

Sir

Inclosed I send you double setts of the monthly returns of this garrison, I hope the last went safe by Ensign Smith of the Pensilvanians. Since that time we have seen no Enemy at all nor any the least signs of them, sometimes I send out a Couple of men to hunt, and hitherto they have seen no tracts nor any appearance of Savages. We have cut down the field of Spelts and brought them in, so that our work is now over, and therefore the men will enjoy ease for sometime, and I am glade of it, since they would not work any more. Some maliciouos Villains, (Draughts from the 77th and some of the 60th) put it into their heads that formerly 9 pound of flower was allowed every man at this post, upon which the whole got together /those upon guard excepted/ in a tumultuous manner, however I got them pacified, not without many arguments, having first promised them that I would forget their infamous behavior, provided they woud promise never to behave so Scandalously again, in short the affair is made up, and they receive their provision as usual. I must not neglect informing you, that they made much noise about wanting their pay so very long, for that indeed they have some reason, having received none at all since the 24th of last August. Colonel Reid has sent me here a Credit for the men’s subsistence upon Philadelphia, which you know, Sir, is of no manner of use, since no money can be had here for bills, of this I acquainted Col: Reid last winter, and begged he woud send an Officer to the retired posts with the men’s Subsistence at this time I have set forth to him the absolute necessity there is of bringing up the mens Subsistence and told him that the men said even to myself that they woud memorial the General about it, as also concerning two years clothing which they want.

You know, Sir, that when men once pass the bounds prescribed them, that they will rip up every thing they can think of. In short it will be absolutely necessary to bring up their Subsistence, otherwise it may be of bad consequence.

I have the honor to be Sir
Your most faithful and most obdt humble Servant

William Grant

P: S: the grasshoppers and other Vermine have quite disappeared, therefore all the gardens thrive very well.

Sealing the finished report, Captain Grant eased back into his chair. He could not blame the anxiety of his men, since they had all been laboring under the most austere conditions for the last year. Short rations, no pay, hard labor and dangerous patrols have tested the mettle of all here at Fort Pitt. Lesser men would have mutinied, or just walked-off; But these men are made of a tougher fiber, and he had reason to be proud of all of them. Now, he must ready them for an offensive that may just prove to be as costly as the one to relieve this post last year, and for that he asked the Almighty for the wisdom needed of such leaders.

…Meanwhile, at MacKenzie Barracks:

The men of Graham’s Company we

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator
  Previous Topic: Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (Part-2) - 12 August 1764 Topic Next Topic: The Go-Betweens (Part-5)  -  20 June 1764  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.19 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07