The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/9/2024 6:02:06 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 In The Tavern ... Wenches, Wahoos, and Girty!
 Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (Part-3) 27 August 1764
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: For Regiment And Family - 07 September 1764 Topic Next Topic: Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (Part-2) - 12 August 1764  

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 21 2005 :  08:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
“Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum” (Part Three)

Fort Loudoun, Pennsylvania Colony

27 August 1764 / 1100 Hours

Colonel Henry Bouquet was fuming as he wrote a dispatch to General Gage. He had received Bradstreet’s dispatch, dated 12 August, which mentions his own treaty he had completed with some of the Ohio Indians. This was in direct violation of the agreed method of the campaign, and in violation of Royal Decree; which stated that all treaties between The Crown and Natives would be conducted through His Majesty’s Superintendent of Indian Affairs, Sir William Johnson. After mentioning the ‘treaty’ to General Gage, Bouquet continued with:

…Permit me likewise Humbley to represent to your Excellency, that I have not deserved the Affront laid upon me by this Treaty of Peace concluded by a Younger Officer, in the Department where you have done me the Honor to appoint me to Command, without referring the Deputys, of the Savages to me at Fort Pitt, but telling them that he shall send and prevent my proceeding against them. I can therefore take no Notice of his Peace, but proceed forthwith to the Ohio, where I shall wait till I receive Your Orders how to Act afterwards.

Col: Reid is safely arrived at Ligonier & will be to Morrow with his Convoy at Pittsburgh; He writes me that every Body with him, expresses the greatest Indignation at the Terms granted by Col: Bradstreet And the few Officers here who are acquainted with it from Fort Pitt are of the same Opinion: & indeed when I compare them with your Orders to me & the few Hints I took Liberty upon a full knowledge of these Savages, to lay before you last year, and which you was pleased to approve of, I cannot reconcile my self to the thought of seeing those Villains go unpunished…

After completing his dispatch to General Gage, Colonel Bouquet then decided to inspect the army’s camp, just outside of the fort. He needed some fresh air, and a chance to arrange his thoughts. A small prayer ran through his mind, “My God, I hope this endeavor will succeed.” There was reason for doubt, for two days ago he received a report from Captain Lems, of the Pennsylvania Regiment, which stated that yet another Indian attack had occurred within cannon-shot of Fort Bedford. The victim was one Isaac Stimble, a long-time area resident, whose scalped body was found by the captain’s patrol.

Such attacks would continue to erode the morale of both colonial subject and soldier alike. With each attack, more farmers deserted their fields to flee to the safety of eastern settlements. Without a steady supply of food, the army would be limited on its span of movement; for as a young Corsican would someday note, “An army marches on its stomach.”

The one bright spot, in all of his doubt, was that Lieutenant-Colonel Reid and his soldiers would soon be at Fort Pitt. He had served with Reid before, and knew him as a steady and competent commander who inspired his men. The colonel’s men were also of a high caliber, and Bouquet was familiar with their capabilities as well. They would prove to be his ‘avenging sword’; as they did last year, by saving the day with their now famous ‘flanking action’ at Bushy Run. Those brave and intrepid men were of His Majesty’s 42nd Royal Highland Regiment, and Colonel Bouquet was thankful to have them as an asset for this expedition.

…That afternoon, at Fort Pitt:

After the men of Graham’s Company assembled for afternoon parade, in full kit with bayonets fixed, Captain Thomas Graham then conducted a somewhat abbreviated inspection of his troops. Once completed, he assumed his place at the front of the formation and said, “Ensign Fergus MacMillan, front and center.”

Marching up to his captain, Ensign MacMillan halted and saluted, “Sir.”

Returning his ensign’s salute, Captain Graham then directed MacMillan to turn and face the company. Once in position, Captain Graham then opened a sealed dispatch

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - April 21 2005 :  3:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sarge,

Good stuff my friend. I really like your work. I can definetly see that you know your stuff on this subject. But it was a very interesting read.

I'm currently working on my Alamo manuscript as of now.

~Wade

www.alamosentry.com
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

YoungNative
Pioneer

May 19 2003

Posted - April 21 2005 :  6:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Send YoungNative an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow uncle, i'm gonna have a kid :-)

I really enjoy reading the stories, keep up the good work.

"Re-enacting is life, the rest is just history." -me

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -M. L. King Jr.

"music is like this porthole into another world - the world of truth."
-Trey Anastasio

"you do not have to fear what goes bump in the night, when you become what lurks in the dark" - unknown

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 22 2005 :  01:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you for the kind words, guys. I was starting to wonder if anybody was still reading my stuff. Wade, I look forward to seeing you launch your own creative endeavor. I know it will be very good.

Nephew, if you liked it so far, just wait till we get into 1765... and beyond.

Your Most Humble Servant,

-Or-

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 22 2005 :  11:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You write extremely well Sarge, - is there a book in the near future?

you can keep "The Change"

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - April 22 2005 :  11:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Do not worry Sargeant. I for one am still lurking in the woods nearby, patiently awaiting each installment. I've even been inspired to pick up quill and paper myself. Now, If only I could force myself to start...

keep up the good work.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - April 22 2005 :  2:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sarge,
Without your installments, how would I learn what fills all the gaps that were left in my US history education? I enjoy and appreciate all the details you put into your work. Don't ever stop - unless you finally find it's time to publish. (Then write another one after that!)
Rose

Rose Dupre
AKA/Órelindë Tinehtelë
AKA/Polly Gamwich
Gordon's 60th Royal Americans
Detroit French Marines

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 23 2005 :  07:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Reading 'em always, Sarge ...

Regarding a book ... see: http://www.lightningsource.com. It is very inexpensive to publish your own - on demand - these days. Would be happy to offer you an outlet here. Same for The MacWilliam Chronicles.

I could lay out the book for you, if you need assistance!

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - April 23 2005 :  8:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In addition to vanity presses, there are also quite a few independent publishers out there that might offer you a deal you'd be interested in. Check out Poets & Writers magazine, it comes out bimonthly.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
-- Oscar Wilde

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - April 24 2005 :  1:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SgtMunro

Thank you for the kind words, guys. I was starting to wonder if anybody was still reading my stuff. Wade, I look forward to seeing you launch your own creative endeavor. I know it will be very good.

Nephew, if you liked it so far, just wait till we get into 1765... and beyond.

Sarge, I'll see what I can do. I'm currently working on the first chapter as of the moment and it's coming out really well. But as I get further into the project I'll post more details on it. I plan for my novel to show the Alamo battle as it really may have been. Graphic, emotional, and sad.

But please, post more of your work Sarge. We really enjoy reading it.

~Wade

www.alamosentry.com

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 24 2005 :  2:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Dillon1836 said: I plan for my novel to show the Alamo battle as it really may have been. Graphic, emotional, and sad.

That's fantastic, since any novel should include all of those things. A tale should be both fantastic, yet relatable to the reader's own life experience. I know yours will be one to be remembered, as was the historical background it is set against.

quote:
Sachem Rich noted: Regarding a book ... see: http://www.lightningsource.com. It is very inexpensive to publish your own - on demand - these days. Would be happy to offer you an outlet here. Same for The MacWilliam Chronicles.

I could lay out the book for you, if you need assistance!

That is very generous of you, Sachem. I may take you up on both of your offers, once I get a few things together on my end.

...In the meantime, look for the next instalment during the first week of May.

The Sarge

-Or-

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - April 24 2005 :  5:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks alot Sarge. I really appreciate your encouraging words and can't wait until your next installment.

~Wade

www.alamosentry.com
  Previous Topic: For Regiment And Family - 07 September 1764 Topic Next Topic: Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (Part-2) - 12 August 1764  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07