The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/9/2024 3:08:52 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 In The Tavern ... Wenches, Wahoos, and Girty!
 Blind Man's Bluff - 16 September 1764
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Kings Pawn to Kings Pawn Three  -  02 October 1764 Topic Next Topic: For Regiment And Family - 07 September 1764  

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 27 2005 :  10:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
“Blind Man’s Bluff” By Sgt. Munro

Fort Pitt, The Ohio Country

16 September 1764 / 1030 Hours

Lieutenant-Colonel John Reid was reading over a dispatch he had prepared for delivery to Colonel Bouquet. Once he had ensured that all pertinent facts were recorded properly, he once again read it to guarantee clarity…

Sir,

It gives me great concern to acquaint you of the Return of Mr. Macgee, who went from this place on Friday last, with Your Dispatches for Col. Bradstreet. He informs me that about 45 Miles from hence he discover’d that Brown, one of the former Expresses, had been murder’d by the Savages, and his head Stuck upon a Pole in the middle of the Road. It wou’d appear they have carry’d Lawrie Prisoner. The Party, he imagines by their Tracts, were four or five. I cannot think of any sure expedient of having the dispatches sent unless with a Party of Twenty or Thirty Light Horse. Colonel Bradstreet has certainly allowed himself to be over reached and imposed upon by these Villains, their intentions having been to amuse him to gain time to dispose of their Wives & Children…

“Very clever, my foe.” Reid said to himself, as he reflected over the report of the decapitated boy, “Killing defenseless schoolchildren and their headmaster. Obviously you are hoping to shatter our resolve for invasion, your actions are nothing more than a poorly planned bluff.”

Hearing the conversation, young Ensign Charles Graham knocked on the colonel’s door.

“Enter.”

The colonel’s aide entered, and asked, “Sir, is all well?”

“Yes Charles, it is. Why do you ask?”

“Sir, it was just… I heard you talking, and I knew that no one had entered through the outer office, sir. I apologize, sir.”

“No need to, my lad. Sometimes I talk to myself, in order to stimulate my mind. You only need to worry yourself when the day comes that I start getting answers.”

“Aye sir.”

Lieutenant-Colonel Reid smiled, so as to convey that it was only humor. He then changed the subject, “What news of our guests?”

“They are confined to the Officer’s Barracks, as per your orders, sir.” Ensign Graham then handed the colonel the daily returns of the 42nd Regiment, as he continued, “They are receiving all of the food and drink they desire, and they appear quite satisfied with your gifts as well, sir. I dinna think that they are yet aware, that they are not permitted to leave the fort, sir.”

“With hospitality like this, I do not think they would want to, Mister Graham. It was fortunate that they arrived voluntarily, since we could not have sent the Bow Street Runners out to arrest them.” Colonel Reid perused the returns, and then handed the sealed dispatch case to his aide, “Take this to Lieutenant Piper, and have him detail a section of his Pennsylvania Light Horse to deliver it expeditiously to Colonel Bouquet, who should be encamped near Bushy Run.”

“Aye sir.” The young ensign then saluted, and departed.

…That afternoon, to the east of Fort Pitt’s main gate:

The column marched through the clearing, between the King’s Garden and the 42nd’s encampment, as if they were passing through a wooded trail. Four hundred men, from the 42nd and 60th Regiments, The Pennsylvania and Virginia Provincial Regiments, and a two-gun section from Captain Hay’s Battery of the Royal Artillery were taking part in this day’s exercise. Near the base of Grant’s Hill, over one hundred pieces of old planking were erected at various distances in a loose semi-circle formation. Some of the planks were partially obscured by brush or small trees, and these were to represent the ‘enemy’ staging an ambuscade.

Once the column entered the center of the circle, Francis Cooper and some of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, fired powder charges into the air, from the flanks, to signal that the trap had been sprung.

Lieutenant-Colonel Reid shouted to his company officers, “Hostiles encountered! Prepare for engagemen

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - May 27 2005 :  10:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent Sarge, - good reading, thanks.

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 29 2005 :  10:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you, MG, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Now that the season has started, I'll be late from time-to-time on posting new chapters; but hang in there, the next installment of this part will be up in a few weeks.

Your Most Humble Servant,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Kings Pawn to Kings Pawn Three  -  02 October 1764 Topic Next Topic: For Regiment And Family - 07 September 1764  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.22 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07