The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/10/2024 12:33:22 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 In The Tavern ... Wenches, Wahoos, and Girty!
 Principle of Conduct - 26 September 1764
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Christmastyme of 1764  -  24 December 1764 Topic Next Topic: The Conference Bower (part-3)  - 15 November 1764  

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 20 2005 :  10:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
“Principle of Conduct” By Sgt. Munro

Fort Pitt, The Ohio Country

26 September 1764 / 0500 Hours

The morning air was chilled, in more ways than one, as soldiers from the 42nd and 60th Regiments of Foote assembled with their provincial counterparts on the parade ground. Lieutenant MacMillan, who was officer-of-the-day, stepped forward to read aloud the execution order. Next to him, standing in irons, were two private soldiers awaiting their sentence to be carried out.

“William Anderson in His Majesty’s 42nd or Royal Highland Regiment of Foote, having deserted from the same on the 20th of June last; and Francis Steedwell soldier in the First Battalion of His Majesty’s 60th or Royal American Regiment of Foote, having likewise deserted from the Camp at Fort Loudoun and both having been apprehended, and having been tried by a General Court Martial held at Fort Loudoun on the 14th of August last, and found guilty of desertions, and sentenced to suffer death: His Excellency, The Honourable General Gage, Commander-in-Chief of all His Majesty’s Forces in North America has been pleased to approve of the above sentences against said William Anderson and Francis Steedwell. The execution of sentence is to be on the morn of the 26th of September, where the condemned are to march to a place of execution, and said sentence will be carried out no later than eight o’clock. And may God have mercy on your souls.”

Sergeant-Major Glenn, along with Sergeants Munro and Boehm, then marched to face the deserters. As both sergeants assumed their place next to the man of their respective regiments, Sergeant-Major Glenn then addressed the prisoners.

“Your conduct is of such an unbecoming nature, that the privilege of wearing the King’s Uniform is now rescinded!”

On cue, both Sergeants Munro and Boehm then proceeded to rip the regimental coats from Privates Anderson and Steedwell. The coats were torn from the bodies of the condemned, and then placed in a nearby handcart for proper disposal. Munro was so rough with Anderson, that he knocked the man to his knees while cutting off his regimental.

Looking up at Sergeant Munro, Anderson made one last desperate plea, “My God Duncan, we have known each other since Ireland. Is there not any sense of mercy for me left in you?”

Munro replied, “Private Anderson, desertion is a heinous offence, and in my humble opinion it should be one without pardon. But fear not, I do not judge you, for that is reserved for God alone. I am only here to arrange the meeting.” He then grabbed Anderson by his waistcoat, and jerked him to his feet, “Since you chose not to live like a man, you will at least stand on your feet to die like one!”

Sergeant Boehm was no less charitable with Private Steedwell, for his standards of professionalism were on par with his Highland counterpart. After he had removed Steedwell’s coat, he said, “Francis, I have known you since you were a recruit. Your behavior has disappointed me, and in some way I feel as if I have failed you. I have failed to instill in you the sense of duty and honor required of a man-at-arms. If you have wished to continue behaving as a rogue, coming and going without a ‘by your leave’, then you should have never taken the King’s Shilling.”

Steedwell begged, “Please Sergeant Boehm, for the love of God, please spare me this, for I promise never to stray again!”

Boehm’s stare grew icy, as he said, “Private Steedwell, I alone could trust you, but I will not gamble the lives of my men on your promise of good conduct.”

Sergeants Munro and Boehm then stepped back, as an execution guard detail from both the 42nd and 60th Regiments assembled around the two private soldiers. With bayonets fixed, the detail marched the two men from the parade and through the main gate, while musicians played ‘The Rogue’s March’. The rest of the regular and provincial brigades followed them.

Upon arriving at the foot of Grant’s Hill, the reg

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - June 21 2005 :  5:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You should definitely think of publishing your work in the future. Regards, - John

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2005 :  5:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you, John. I will probably publish these tales in the near future, for limited release, as soon as I finish the begining and ending parts. I am working on all three; past, present & future (Comparatively speaking), at the same time. Anyone who knows me personally will tell you that I am usually probing in several directions at once, and I do eventually finish all projects, when they are ready.

In addition, I am thinking of posting a sort-of 'photo array' of some of the characters (Or people who gave me the inspiration for the characters) in my tales, so that people can actually put a face to the name. It's just an idea, since I do not know how it would be received.

Anyways, thank you again for enjoying the tales. Please keep an eye out for the next installment due out in a few weeks time...

Your Most Humble Servant,
The Sarge

-Or-

Pte.MacGregor
Lost in the Wilderness

British Soldier 3
USA

June 28 2005

Posted - July 07 2005 :  7:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Pte.MacGregor an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
sarge i like your stuff and am looking forward to the next instalment!!
ymh&os
pte MacGregor

Pte. MAcGregor

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 11 2005 :  08:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you for the kind words, Cedric, and welcome to the board. It will be nice to have yet another member of Graham's Company here.

The Sarge

-Or-

qasimoto
Pioneer

USA

March 11 2005

Posted - December 21 2005 :  02:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
NICE piece of work. I'll forward to seeing more. And I agree with one of the other respondants, you should indeed publish.

Qasimoto

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 21 2005 :  09:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear qasimoto,

I am glad that you are enjoying my on-going tale. When you go into 'The Tavern', look at the bottom to view previous pages. I have my tale spread out over three of them so far. The next one, 'Christmastyme of 1764' will be out in the next two days, so that it gives a Christmas feel to my humble endeavor.

As for publishing them in a hardback form; I probably will, the question remains to publish them according to their "parts", or as a whole. If I choose the former, it will be far cheaper to purchase, since I classify this historical fiction in the same price catagory as the paperbacks found in grocery stores. That being, economical and light-reading entertainment. Whatever I decide, it will not be until I finish my non-fiction, historical work of the same period. That will be my grand work, and hopefully fill a long-needed niche in the 'Great War For Empire' portion of 18th Century military history.

Either way, thank you for the compliments, and keep checking in for new installments.

I Remain,

The Sarge

-Or-
  Previous Topic: Christmastyme of 1764  -  24 December 1764 Topic Next Topic: The Conference Bower (part-3)  - 15 November 1764  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.19 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07