The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/10/2024 5:51:47 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 In The Tavern ... Wenches, Wahoos, and Girty!
 Hail the Conquering Hero (Part-1) - 29 November 1764
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Hail the Conquering Hero (Part-2) - 08 January 1765 Topic Next Topic: Christmastyme of 1764  -  24 December 1764  

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 20 2005 :  4:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
“Hail the Conquering Hero” (Part One) By Sgt. Munro

Fort Pitt, The Ohio Country

29 November 1764 / 1530 Hours

The day before, the army’s triumphant return to Fort Pitt was marked with celebration, as well as tearful reunions with waiting family members. Those redeemed captives, who were not reunited with family either serving on the campaign or gathering at the fort, were to be transported east to Carlisle. There, hopefully other settlers would gather, in answer to the broadsides, to look for missing friends and family.

The soldiers’ work was on going; in addition to the usual post-campaign maintenance, a large portion of the army had to prepare for an immediate march eastward, so as to not be trapped by the accumulating snowfall. The 1st Battalion of the 60th Royal Americans was ordered to Philadelphia, and had departed Fort Pitt before noontime. The Virginia and Pennsylvania soldiers prepared for departure on the following day.

Reading the orders from Colonel Bouquet, Captain Thomas Graham said, “Fergus, it looks as if the whole communication, and surrounding backcountry, will be secured by our regiment alone.”

“The lads are more than up to the task, Captain.”

Finishing his tea, Graham replied, “Yes they are, but I do wonder if such a reduction in force strength is not a wee bit… premature?” He then donned his bonnet, and motioned to Lieutenant MacMillan, “Come Fergus, the lads are formed up for afternoon parade, and we must read Colonel Bouquet’s orders to them.”

The men of Graham’s Company were in formation near MacKenzie Barracks. Seeing his two officers approach, Sergeant Munro bellowed, “Take care! Officers on parade!”

The men snapped to attention, and stood ramrod straight. All of the filth and grime of active campaigning had been scrubbed away, as ‘spit and polish’ is always the order for garrison duty. Freshly shaved, groomed and clad in their full dress uniform, with all arms and accouterments clean and shined, one would find it hard to believe that these were the same men as the ‘mud larks’ who marched into the fort less than twenty-four hours earlier.

Snapping his halberd to the ‘Recover’, Sergeant Munro saluted his company commander with, “Good afternoon Sir. The company is formed and ready for parade, Sir.”

Captain Graham returned the salute and said, “Thank you Sergeant, you may assume your post.”

“Aye Sir.” Munro then brought his halberd to the ‘Advance’, and marched to his respective position in the company.

“Men,” Captain Graham started, “You have once again distinguished yourselves in this latest tasking. This campaign was made even more a success by not a shot in anger being fired. I have here a written order for the suspension of arms against our late foes, signed by Colonel Bouquet.”

The men were then given the command to ‘Order Your Firelocks’, as Captain Graham read the following:

By Henry Bouquet Esquire, Colonel of Foot & Commanding His Majesty’s Forces in the Southern District of North America.

Whereas a Suspension of Arms has been granted to the Indian Tribes of the Mingoes, Wyandots, Delawares & Shawanese, any of their People coming to our Posts are to be treated as Friends; but as no Trade can be carried on with said Indians till a definitive Treaty of Peace be concluded with them…

After finishing reading the obligatory order, Captain Graham gave the command to ‘Rest’, as his speech became more informal. “Men, as you know the 60th Royal American Regiment departed this post today, and the provincials will also be departing in the next two days. Three of the 42nd’s Battalion Companies will also march eastward to assume the posts of Fort Ligonier, Fort Bedford, Fort Loudoun and Fort Cumberland. One company each will be posted to Forts Ligonier and Bedford, and the remaining company will be halved between Forts Loudoun and Cumberland. Our company will remain with two other Battalion Companies, as well as the

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - December 20 2005 :  6:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very good Sarge, - but that's nothing new I'd say. Another keeper. ;)

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 21 2005 :  09:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you MG, and keep watching for the final two installments on this part, "...A Finish to This Dammned War, 1764-1765". The next will be posted before week's end, and the final part within a fortnight afterwards. Afterwards, the installments will cover the next part titled, "Frontier Constabulary, 1765-1766".

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

PS:Cedric, have ye been reading the new ones lately? When you reminded me about wanting new installments, while we were in garrison at Fort Bedford the other week, I thought you would have checked-in by now, Lad.

-Or-

YoungNative
Pioneer

May 19 2003

Posted - January 01 2006 :  02:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Send YoungNative an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excelent as usual unc.

I know you like to use reenactors as inspiration, is my mom the inspiration for janet henderson?

"Re-enacting is life, the rest is just history." -me

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -M. L. King Jr.

"music is like this porthole into another world - the world of truth."
-Trey Anastasio

"you do not have to fear what goes bump in the night, when you become what lurks in the dark" - unknown

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 01 2006 :  07:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Happy New Year, my Nephew, and "yes" you are right on both counts. I try to pay homage to most of the people I know in the hobby; and I do this by either using their 'real' character name, or a pseudonym of their choosing.

Your Most Humble Uncle,

Duncan

-Or-

YoungNative
Pioneer

May 19 2003

Posted - January 03 2006 :  07:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Send YoungNative an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SgtMunro

or a pseudonym of their choosing.

Duncan

Hmmmm, So, you know who agreed to the pseudonym "private dingleberry"

just kidding

I'll have to tell my mom shes in one of your stories, i'm sure she'll wanna read it.

"Re-enacting is life, the rest is just history." -me

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -M. L. King Jr.

"music is like this porthole into another world - the world of truth."
-Trey Anastasio

"you do not have to fear what goes bump in the night, when you become what lurks in the dark" - unknown

Previous Topic: Hail the Conquering Hero (Part-2) - 08 January 1765 Topic Next Topic: Christmastyme of 1764  -  24 December 1764  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.24 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07