The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/7/2024 10:25:22 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Mohicanland's Recommended Reading
 Philippa Gregory Novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: New Black Watch Book Forthcoming - Sons of the Mountains! Topic Next Topic: Witch Child-Salem  

Lotte
Pathfinder

United Kingdom

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 08 2006

Posted - September 26 2006 :  12:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently read 'The Boleyn Inheritance' the latest of Gregory's works, and I was just wondering if anyone here had and if so what you thought if it.

I really enjoy Philippa Gregory's books; they centre on one of my favourite periods in British history, the Tudors. I know that the novels aren't always historically accurate, but they are still just works of fiction.

Whilst 'The Boleyn Inheritance' has shed a bit of light on Anne of Cleves and Katharine Howard, albeit not a historically correct light, and was a good read, I felt as though it wasn't as good as 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and 'The Constant Princess'. Now, perhaps this is because personally I've never been much interested in Anne of Cleves and Katharine Howard but I'd like to think I saw past those prejudices. I know I shouldn't make comparisons between books; it's just that this latest one doesn't seem to flow as well as her previous novels; it's not as exciting to read. With her previous novels I've found that I literally can't put them down whereas with this one I wouldn't have been bothered if I'd had to interrupt my reading. As it was, unfortunately, I had the house to myself so with no interruptions (and these would have been welcome) I found that I had it finished in a day, which I suppose was a good thing as it didn't drag it out.

However, even though not a personal favourite, I would still recommend ‘The Boleyn Inheritance’. If you haven’t read ‘The Other Boleyn Girl’ I’d recommend this one more so because this introduces you to the Tudor books, it’s my favourite out of Philippa Gregory's books, and is also going to be made into a film.

Bet you're all wondering how this is linked to LOTM by six degrees? Ha, for once I have an answer... In 2004 the BBC did a dramatisation of 'The Other Boleyn Girl', which I wish I has seen even though there were mixed reviews. Anywho, this Drama starred Jodhi May as Anne Boleyn, so there you go, six degrees... just!

"The whole world's on fire, isn't it?"
report to moderator
  Previous Topic: New Black Watch Book Forthcoming - Sons of the Mountains! Topic Next Topic: Witch Child-Salem  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.23 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07