The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/16/2024 9:42:35 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The GREAT MOHICAN GATHERINGS
 Gathering Gossip & Ganders [?]
 Help Wanted! - Gathering Questions!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Cherokee Poll.. your opinion needed! Topic Next Topic: Still rumblings from Dupont Forest Developers  

Sandy Lewis
Lost in the Wilderness

Queen2
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 30 2002

Posted - October 17 2002 :  01:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. So I admit I'm a greenhorn, never having attended a gathering in the past! At the risk of sounding like a nutty female, I'm going to toss out some questions that I have and hope you don't hold it against me!

I tried to make it this past gathering, but was detained. I had planned on driving OVER and UP from Texas and staying at the no phone, pesky roach motel - since I didn't want to get lost! Admittedly, I can barely fold a map! Is getting lost/disconnected from the group from site to site - day to day a potential problem?

I read your postings about the different locations for lodgings and also have concerns about driving IN THE DARK through unfamiliar territory (aka - MOUNTAINS!). Will everyone be so scattered about that there will be no "buddies" to follow back to camp, so to speak? I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand, (well maybe after visiting the Irish Pubs), but rather put some of my fears to rest!

Cinco Star!
report to moderator

hawkeye
Pioneer

Longhunter With Child
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 17 2002 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There's usually people you can follow. On a couple of occassions during the last Gathering, I had a really fun family from Hawaii follow me from place to place. Sometimes you can even just catch a ride from people and not drive at all. Hope you can make it next year.

Marc
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 18 2002 :  05:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Lewis:
Is getting lost/disconnected from the group from site to site - day to day a potential problem?

Potential? Yes ... but not too likely, if you play your cards right. Actually, I was hoping some others would answer this, as out-of-towners probably have a better feel for your situation than I do [though, as some can attest to, I too get lost!!! ] But, since only Marc has come forward so far ... I'll take a stab.

I concur with what Marc says. We encourage car-pooling. We have a vehicle "caravan" flag made for each vehicle to display to assist in following the group [this year's to be made by Belinda Starnes of MO, btw]. Most travel is done in the daytime: the Sunrise & the return from the theater being the two exceptions that come to mind. We book an optional group facility so that you can more easily meet up with fellow Gatherers. I try to run down the itinerary as much as is possible at the various stops. We hand out the infamous Program Guide on the first morning. This guide helps to get you everywhere ... though on occasion the directions are wrong or have a typo! How fun is that?!? This time, I will take a more active role in its preparation and, hopefully, we can avoid that! [Don't count on it, though!]

It's easy! Don't fret, Sandy ... we'll get you through!

Adele
The Huggy Merchant

May 17 2002

Posted - October 18 2002 :  06:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Adele a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Actually, I was hoping some others would answer this, as out-of-towners probably have a better feel for your situation than I do [though, as some can attest to, I too get lost!!! ] But, since only Marc has come forward so far ... I'll take a stab.

Alright, alright...I'll take a stab at this one...

My first gathering, I flew in from London and spent the night in Charlotte, and got picked up the following morning by the Terrible Trio (Gadget Girl and Group!) - this was an experience I wouldn't have missed for anything! By the time I reached the rest of the group, I felt like I knew everyone already! The remainder of my stay, I picked up rides from various people, and it is SUCH a good way to get to know everyone. There is always someone with room in their car for you.

The second gathering I travelled over with the Dutch Trader, and we hired a car. I figure, if a foreigner who had never driven in the US before, can make it through the entire gathering without maiming anyone, breaking the car, or losing a travelling companion - anyone can do it! I even ferried a certain Gnome around, who managed to survive with no visible scarring (apart from perhaps the odd white knuckle and bitten tongue!)

In short, the flag system (whereby all gatherers have flags on their cars, so you can spot them a mile off) - works wonderfully well. I didn't find driving the mountain roads in the dark (on the way to sunrise at Green Knob) any problem at all, since the roads are quiet, and you can drive at your own pace.

Sandy...you will have a blast! Whether you drive yourself, or are driven around, there will ALWAYS be someone to hold your hand!

HM

mohicanwarrior
Pioneer

indian warrior
USA

October 08 2002

Posted - October 22 2002 :  5:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mohicanwarrior's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You know that this year will be my first year going and I have nobody I know who is going with me except my mom. And I still have alot of questions to ask about the trip. What If I dont wake up on the right time in the moring and miss the first trip that we will be taking with the whole group, that stuff worries me. Mohicanwarrior

wpmacleod
Lost in the Wilderness

Taurus
USA

July 07 2002

Posted - October 22 2002 :  5:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just GO! There will be lots of people who are either (a) in the same boat as you, being new, or (b) remember their first and are willing to help. BTW: Don't always try to follow Rich, he drives like a maniac on those mountain roads.

mohicanwarrior
Pioneer

indian warrior
USA

October 08 2002

Posted - October 22 2002 :  8:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mohicanwarrior's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I will keep in mind not to follow Rich, hehehehhehe, Yeah I will just have to go and meet new people and introduce myself which will be a challenge (crawling out of my shell) but I know that I will make lots of new friends and have alot of fun. Mohicanwarrior

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 22 2002 :  8:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mohicanwarrior:
Well I will keep in mind not to follow Rich, hehehehhehe, Yeah I will just have to go and meet new people and introduce myself which will be a challenge (crawling out of my shell) but I know that I will make lots of new friends and have alot of fun. Mohicanwarrior

Not to worry. We have all been there at one time or another. (not following Rich - going to the Gathering!

I remember I "discovered" this website just prior to the first Gathering, so I was very nervous. Rich and Marcia encouraged me though, and I went - by myself even - and ended up not only with some wonderful memories, but some treasured friends as well. You know, the scenery is beautiful, but it's the people that make the Gathering. I assure you, you will have a wonderful time!

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 23 2002 :  09:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A Mohican Gathering is the best "shell" cracker there is. Remember we were ALL first timers at one time. I echo what Caitlyn says and can say unequivocally that the gatherings have been some of the best times I've ever had in my life. Good people, good scenery, good eats along the way, good advencha's, good laughs, good crys, good tired muscles, just plain ole good times providing a lifetime of memories! They also teach one the importance of REST-MANAGEMENT... AND it ALWAYS ends too soon!!!

NO WORRIES...Mohicanwarrior!!!

GG

mohicanwarrior
Pioneer

indian warrior
USA

October 08 2002

Posted - October 23 2002 :  2:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see mohicanwarrior's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well Thanks you guys you made me feel much better about crawling out of my tortis shell heheh. And I know that I will have a great time. Thanks Mohicanwarrior

Sandy Lewis
Lost in the Wilderness

Queen2
USA

September 30 2002

Posted - November 12 2002 :  12:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So maybe I exaggerated a little bit... I am capable of folding a map! Just don't use terms like North or South (tell me to turn left or right)and I will be just fine.

I forgot to mention that my best friend will be traveling with me in my MIATA (sure to be loaded to the gills) for what appears to be an adventure of a lifetime! You all sound like family and I can't wait to meet you. I officially proclaim myself to be your BRUNETTE-HAIRED STEP-CHILD! (otherwise known as the "Black Sheep" the family tries not to talk about!)

Remember, you now have TWO nutty females to contend with. I suggest those of you that are willing to lend rides... bring straws!!!

Cinco Star!

carol
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

November 13 2002

Posted - November 13 2002 :  8:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Help! I am confused---is the gathering a re-enactent, or do the followers who attend all dress period and cultural and preform living history or what? I want to go, but i don't want to be in the way or not ready for what is expected of me! Details for an unenlightened?
thanks, carol

carol hammer

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 13 2002 :  9:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by carol

Help! I am confused---is the gathering a re-enactent, or do the followers who attend all dress period and cultural and preform living history or what? I want to go, but i don't want to be in the way or not ready for what is expected of me! Details for an unenlightened?
thanks, carol

Carol...all of the above! Some dress in period clothing....some don't. Some do a little re-enacting...some don't. One thing is for certain, though...ALL have a great time and NOBODY gets in anyone else's way. So do plan to come. You won't be sorry. Have you checked out the photos of past Gatherings? If you haven't, do so and you'll see! See ya there!

Theresa
  Previous Topic: Cherokee Poll.. your opinion needed! Topic Next Topic: Still rumblings from Dupont Forest Developers  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07