The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/24/2024 7:17:52 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Weekly Update ... !
 Re-doing Things
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: A Couple of New Additions to the Forums Topic Next Topic: Mohican Press For Sale?  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 28 2009 :  12:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OK ---

E-mail sent out, but I wanted to post it here in case someone did not receive it:

The Mohican Board has been a very quiet place of late, and so I thought this might be a suitable time to upgrade the Board. The software has been updated and I'd like to upgrade to the latest version. HOWEVER, doing so would cause us to lose much of the add-on functionality. Some of that stuff is little-used, anyway -- like classifieds, events, etc. I would have to add that in, little by little, over time.

So, if sometime over the next few weeks things look a tad different, that is why.

Best to all!

This will also mean, I failed to mention, that Polls will be temporarily non-functional. There are lots of things that I have added in over the years. Some, will not be reimplemented which may result in more efficient responsiveness of the Board. [I hope!]

Then again, I may chicken out ...

And, as mentioned elsewhere, the guide book has undergone what will probably be its final revision. I ought to have the new books by the end of next week. It looks sharp,printed on a bright white stock, rather than the off white it had been printed on. On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans

Happy Trails!

Rich
Mohican Press
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 01 2009 :  10:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmm..... interestingly, I did not find that email when I arrived home. Did it bounce back to you, Rich? Yahoo has been giving me some problems lately. Right, Seamus?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 05 2009 :  12:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It may have, Joyce ... quite a few did, but I paid little attention to what was what.

Anyway, regarding this thread, BAD IDEA!! I simply have too many modifications that I'd have to re-do to justify upgrading. Little by little, I think I'll just "patch" here and there to simulate the upgrade!!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 05 2009 :  2:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Somewhat unrelated Rich, - but I've read that the USPO is making some cut backs in quite a number of places - are you or your office going to be impacted?

you can keep "The Change"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 09 2009 :  6:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nah, I'm OK ... Our office is big enough to remain viable, and I am the Senior clerk, so, it would take a lot for anything to affect me personally. Some district offices were shut down, affecting management types. Remember, the mail must go through!

The 5-day delivery thing is being bandied about again as it is from time to time. Though it's being discussed more seriously this time, I'll be very surprised if it were to come to pass anytime soon.

I can't wait to retire!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 09 2009 :  6:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's good to hear Rich. Retirement, one of the damnedest things is that somehow how age comes into nearly every conversation at some point. It almost replaces talking about the weather - nutsy. Hope everything works out, - I'd rewind a few years if I could, not very many actually.

you can keep "The Change"

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 10 2009 :  09:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Actually, Rich, retirement has both its good points and its bad points: "Retired--NO responsibilities, NO deadlines, NO money!"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 10 2009 :  3:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Actually, from what I have been told, if you have been with the post office for a good long time and have worked your way up... say to Senior Clerk ... you can end up with a pretty good pension. Then you take a part-time job as a greeter at Wal-Mart a few days each week and you are good to go!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - April 10 2009 :  7:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman
Then you take a part-time job as a greeter at Wal-Mart a few days each week and you are good to go!

And exactly how is that "retirement"?

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - April 10 2009 :  11:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Whenever people asked my grandpa if he was retired yet, he would always say, "I got the tired part. I just ain't got the 're' yet!" He was a postal carrier for 50-something years. When he finally did retire he had the most years of anyone in the USPS, excepting one other person!

Sorry . . . back to the real topic now.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 11 2009 :  08:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Actually, from what I have been told, if you have been with the post office for a good long time and have worked your way up... say to Senior Clerk ... you can end up with a pretty good pension. Then you take a part-time job as a greeter at Wal-Mart a few days each week and you are good to go!

For your info, I am a highly skilled, trained professional Wal-Mart greeter!!! I've been honing my craft at the PO for years ...

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 11 2009 :  3:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by winglo

quote:
Then you take a part-time job as a greeter at Wal-Mart a few days each week and you are good to go!

And exactly how is that "retirement"?

A joke, Winglo.... a joke!

Rich got it...

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - April 14 2009 :  7:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW, I knew it was a joke. . .and so was my comment! But, I can't believe the number of people who do this kind of thing when they "retire." What I can't figure out is why they say they have "retired."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 15 2009 :  08:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, from what I know of people who have retired from the "main" workforce and their jobs of many years, some do it because they simply get bored or their spouse drives them nuts at home. Others do it because they find it is difficult for them to suddenly stop doing something they have done for 45 years. And some find that their social security and pension (if they are fortunate enough to get one) just isn't enough to support them at the level they desire.

I am quite concerned about my own situation. I am 62 now, and I would retire tomorrow, if I could afford to. As it appears now, with the downturn in both the economy and my retirement portfolio, I may need to work at some sort of job indefinitely.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - April 15 2009 :  09:19:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You could make bootleg cherry bounce.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
  Previous Topic: A Couple of New Additions to the Forums Topic Next Topic: Mohican Press For Sale?  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.39 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07