The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/19/2024 7:10:18 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Towne Crier's Square
 Sad News
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Time to Move! [Edit: NOT!!!] Topic Next Topic: A Thanksgiving Story  

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2012 :  12:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is with a heavy heart, which I pass on this dispatch received on my post at Fort Pitt this afternoon. I was notified that Mohican Board member Mike Slease (AKA- Seamus, AKA- LTC Armstrong of the Pennsylvania Regiment's 3rd Battalion) passed-on to his final muster, last night. I know that I share the feelings of many here in that wishing his assembly on God's parade ground will be one of eternal bliss & peace.

God Bless You; my friend, confidant & mentor

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2012 :  2:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For those of you who live near or will be in Mike's area, here is the information in.re. his funeral service:

Service and Memorial for Michael G. Slease, Commanding Third Battalion Pennsylvania, the Augusta Regiment, Burd's Coy.

Saturday, Jan 21st at the 1st Presbyterian Church, 47 Walnut St., Milton, PA.
Visiting Hours @ 12 - 2 PM and a Memorial Celebration @ 2 PM

18th century dress welcome (Seamus would approve of such a 'period' send-off)

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2012 :  2:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah! I was just coming on board to make a post. I see that you have beaten me to it, Sarge.

Yes. Although it was expected for several weeks, it was still a shock to receive the news from Mrs. Slease. What most of those here did not know was that Seamus had been battling the war with non-Hodgkins lymphoma for about 5 years. He didn't want it made known here. In fact, his words to me were often, "This had better not show up on the boards!" I had to respect that.

He had undergone 2 rounds of chemo during those years, and most recently had some radiation treatments. He did well, with some additional bumps along the road, until about 6 months ago. He went downhill very quickly after that. When I last visited with him on December 12, he was very ill and weak. Finally, last evening at about 9 PM, he ended his last battle of the war, surrendered his sword to God and left this life.

Even though it's expected, it never comes easily. Those of us in his regiment are all devastated, and the re-enacting community has lost a giant.

Mike, your candle flame has been extinguished, but the light you have given to the world of re-enacting will shine forever. Go with God, Dear Friend.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2012 :  4:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank You for the post Sgt. Munro. I heard the news this morning and was heartbroken to learn of Mike's passing. He is better known to the Mohican Board as Seamus. I count myself fortunate to have known him and ALL the characters he made larger than life.

His enthusiasm, his kindness, his humor, and his beautiful soul will be missed

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 18 2012 :  4:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Although I never knew Seamus personally, - I feel like I've lost a good friend. Mike and I had exchanged e-mails in the past a number of times. I will miss those correspondences greatly. His knowledge and humor will be missed by all, ... a truly sad day.

you can keep "The Change"

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 18 2012 :  4:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What a colorful character he was. Claude and I only had the pleasure of his company for one of the Mohican Gatherings and he was definitely the life of the campfire. I know he will be sorely missed...think I'll dust off the "McWilliam Chronicles" and give them a read. Rest in peace, Seamus...fond memories abound.

Theresa

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 18 2012 :  6:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Right now I am too stunned to say much. I will miss, you Seamus. Rest in Peace and thank you for everything.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 18 2012 :  9:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He had told me a number of times that I should come to the Pittsburgh area and he would show me all the historic sites. I never seemed to have the time. Now, I really wish I had made the time. I guess it will be my loss. I will miss him.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 19 2012 :  01:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I share Rich's sentiment when I say that I too am shocked and at a loss for words. I did not have the fortune to meet Seamus in the reenacting world - I only knew him from Mohicanland. I will miss his enthusiastic and witty posts. God Bless you, Seamus... May you rest in peace.

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 19 2012 :  12:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My prayers are with all of his family and friends.

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 21 2012 :  1:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
More on Mike here in This Thread.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 25 2012 :  11:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you, Rich, for adding Seamus's name to the growing dedication list on the home page of the forums. He would be pleased.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 25 2012 :  1:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Updated my book, as well. I keep thinking about Mike ... hard to notice that he's not here.

lmg222
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

December 05 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 26 2013 :  11:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Always sad to say good-bye even to someone I have never met. I wish him well in the afterlife and will hold him in my thoughts.

Linda G

Diana
Pioneer

May 18 2002

Posted - March 01 2013 :  12:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My condolences to his friends and family.

His contribution to preserving history is much appreciated.

Diana
  Previous Topic: Time to Move! [Edit: NOT!!!] Topic Next Topic: A Thanksgiving Story  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07