The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/1/2024 11:19:46 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 In The Tavern ... Wenches, Wahoos, and Girty!
 Remembering Mike 'Seamus' Slease
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Memorial Day 2016 Topic Next Topic: A southerner on Mt. Washington, ...  

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2012 :  10:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, Muskets & Mohicanland...
...Six degrees of separation?

The first time I met Colonel Armstrong (as I first knew Seamus) was at Fort Ligonier in 1999. I was a private soldier in Captain Robertsons Company of the 77th Regiment of Foote, and the 3rd Pennsylvania Regiment was billeted next door in the neighboring barracks. After the Saturday battle, I was cleaning my firelock in a traditional, but non-period manner, when Mike approached and introduced himself. After an exchange of pleasantries, he asked if I was interested in learning how to clean the firelock in a period-correct manner using brick dust, bear grease and proper oil (as opposed to the GI method I was using, which was great for the M-16's of my youth, but did not look right when servicing the King's Arm). With great patience, he took me under his wing and educated me in the finer points of 18th Century military science.

Over the following years, and many campaigns we took part in, he continued his mentoring of me, and became an uncle-like figure (who was also larger than life in both his knowledge and gracious demeanor). A layman could not find what Mike taught me, and it was gift for which I could never aspire to match. Of the time we spent on campaign, some of the best remembered involved his sense of humor, which could take the form of an anecdote or a quick one-liner, he truly was a renaissance man. In 2001, he told me of this online community dedicated to the movie Last of the Mohicans, and I then joined the forum shortly thereafter. The rest is, of course, history

My wife, Lady Munro, would always address Mike as 'Blue Eyes' or 'My Sweetie', and would be sure to give him a hug and kiss anytime she accompanied me on campaign. When Mike recovered from his first bout of chemo, and went deer hunting shortly afterwards, Lady Munro said to me, "My God, he is a tough old Dutchman, isn't he!"

As a closing, I cant think of a better story than the time our units were at Custaloga in 2005, and the 42nd was leading the Crown Forces on the march to the battle. Our officer, Lieutenant Fergus Smith was at the front, and after marching up a steep hill, he called a halt. Colonel Armstrong, who was obviously out of breath, then approached our lieutenant and said, "This will be the last time I have a seven-foot tall highland officer set the pace for a march in hilly terrain!"

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 19 2012 :  09:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good story Sarge, ...

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 19 2012 :  12:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for starting this thread, Sarge. I would like to add to it.

I first met Mike right here in Mohicanland when I joined in 2002. Little did I know the direction my life would take in a few years. Mike and I immediately found that we agreed on a lot of things -- especially political matters, and our discussions moved from the boards to email. We finally met in person in August 2004 when I went to visit him and the Augusta Regiment at a little event near me.

When my husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in Oct. 2004, Mike was a wonderful friend and support. When Gary died in April 2005, Mike was there for me. When other friends in the regiment encouraged me to become a re-enactor, I told Mike of my interest. He was very receptive to having me join. However, the By-Laws of the group had to be changed! Previously, they stated that all women had to be affiliated with a soldier or other male member of the group. I had no one. Fortunately, the Board of Directors got to know me and approved both the change and my membership. And, as Sarge said... the rest is History!

The hobby that Mike helped me get into got me through a very bad time in my life and introduced me to a bunch of great, new friends. I am so grateful to him for that and for being my good friend.

I think this is my favorite photo of him. This was taken about 2 years ago.

Image Insert:

55.12 KB

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 19 2012 :  1:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you guys, it was my pleasure to start this thread, since I am sure most of us have great stories of Seamus, and wish to share them. I had some pictures of him I wanted to post as well, but I cannot get them to upload.

Hey Sachem, what gives? Am I doing something wrong with the upload controls, or is the system having a 'bug'?

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 19 2012 :  4:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I first met Mike in person at Old Bedford Village when I was there for the Braddock's Defeat event in the summer of 2005. I was walking along sutler's row and there was Mike. No mistaking him. He was the same in person as he was on the Mohican forum. I wish I could have known him better.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 20 2012 :  09:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
These are photos that show the "Many Faces of Mike."

The first one is taken at the Army Heritage and Education Center (AHEC) in Carlisle, PA, which was one of his favorite places. He is standing on the doorstep of the French and Indian War Way Station. The building is an exact reproduction of several that were ordered to be built along the Forbes Road. Mike gave many school programs for thousands of kids there, and was always asked to speak to the public about the Forbes Expedition. He had a passion for educating people about history.

Image Insert:

79.51 KB

This one is taken at the Conrad Weiser Homestead in Womelsdorf, PA. Each March, our Regiment does a one day event there on Pennsylvania Charter Day, and we always do a Divine Service for the public. That was another favorite thing of Mike's do to -- lead Divine Service. He took it very seriously, as it was ordered by King George II for all of his troops.

Image Insert:

87.77 KB

Another thing that Mike loved doing, and was very good at, was acting. Here, he is doing a Parlay and Trade scenario for the public at the site of Fort Halifax in PA. The Indians had captured a young white boy, and the Augusta Regiment had come to his rescue. After exchanging musket fire, a parlay was called and negotiations began. Mike could ad lib incredibly well.

Image Insert:

80.86 KB

Mike definitely had opinions! We quickly found that if ours were different from his, it was just best to surrender and let him take the field. And if you saw his "No Nonsense" face... you had better watch out!

Image Insert:

81.46 KB

Of all of the Many Faces of Mike, I loved his fabulous and wacky sense of humor the most. The jokes and stories he could tell around the campfire kept us laughing uproariously nearly constantly. He was truly the most fun person to be around that I have ever known. This is Mike at his goofiest. I was trying to eat my breakfast in camp one morning, and he pulled his cap down over his eyes, leaned forward toward my bowl, opened his mouth in a superb imitation of a drooling, feeble, old man, made gross smacking sounds... and made me choke on my cereal.

Image Insert:

77.96 KB

Aw, Mikey.... thank you so much for giving me a powder magazine full of wonderful memories!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 20 2012 :  10:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Some good pics & story there WW, - thanks.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 21 2012 :  1:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mike was a humble guy, at least as far as I knew him. He wasn't boisterous or opinionated here on the board ... unless he was asked. Then, he spoke his mind. Behind the scenes, he was always supportive. Just a great friend. Back when we had moderators, he was the best. I could always trust his judgment.

I noticed he was quiet and MIA a few months ago. I contacted him to see how he was doing. He said, "Not well ..." Then, he was gone.

Seeing his name down there in the "Members Online" box on the main board page is something I am going to miss terribly. There was a long time when it would be there just about always. I could picture him, sitting on the cabin porch, rifle across his lap ... relaxing, peacefully, but always alert.

Almost like he really was the "Guardian of the Pennsylvania Wilderness".

God Bless you, Seamus. It will never be the same.

More here in This Thread.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 23 2012 :  09:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mike's Memorial Service on Saturday was... glorious! What a wonderful tribute to a man who was known, admired, and loved by so many people. Unfortunately, the snow storm that came through on Friday night kept many of his re-enactor friends who lived in other areas away. Our Mohicanland friends Malcolm MacWilliams (Mark Hagenbuch) and Chauncey Goodrich (Sarah Melcher) had planned to come but were not able to make it. I know that it upset them both greatly. But I believe that Mike knew they were all there in spirit.

Nearly all members of the Augusta Regiment were there -- the soldiers wearing their uniforms and the ladies wearing their finest. We began the service with a marching processional from the back of the church to the front. The soldiers stood in a line in front of the table that held Mike's urn and did a slow hand salute on command.

The Vice President of the Board of Directors of the regiment then stepped up to the podium and gave a short speech. He announced that the regiment had passed a resolution giving Mike the rank of Honorary Colonel of the 3rd Battalion Pennsylvania. Following that, our current commander, Lieutenant Alan Hackenberg, presented a triangle-folded British Red Ensign to Mrs. Slease. Mike was not a modern military veteran, so this was a fitting substitute to receiving a modern American flag.

After we returned to our seats, the service continued. It took place in a large church, and that church was packed full. Mike's two daughters, Jenny and Suzi, gave an absolutely wonderful tribute to their "Daddy" that had everyone crying, smiling, and laughing. It is clear that they both inherited Mike's sense of humor and flare for acting. Beyond my own husband's memorial service, I have never been so moved.

So now... the healing begins. Mike's regiment will go on, as he would wish. We will meet next month to formalize handing over the reins of command to the Lt., and to make plans for the coming re-enacting season. It will not be easy to move forward without Mike, but we are determined to do it. During their tribute, Suzi and Jenny spoke about Mike's insistence that our re-enacting be done the right way and properly. He took great pride in that. They turned to us and said, "To the Regiment, we say: March on! But do it properly!" We will do our best to make Mike proud and do it properly.

Mike.... I could not salute you as the soldiers did, but I offered to you my final curtsey of love and respect. And now I say -- Godspeed.

Image Insert:

34.75 KB

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 23 2012 :  11:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds like an impressive send off WW, - something everyone will always remember. Knowing that "things will be a tad different" now, - the new commander needs everyone's support during the change over.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2012 :  09:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just to correct something... I believe I was incorrect on the flag that was presented to Mrs. Slease. I think it was actually the Kings Colours.

Image Insert:

2.97 KB

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2012 :  09:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Some of you here might be interested in viewing several videos that were taken at Mike's service. There are three at this link:
Mike's Service
Get your tissues ready....

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 24 2012 :  09:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There were some women exiting after the regiment who were in colonial dress. Were you one of them? It is hard to tell from the video.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2012 :  10:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, I was in the dark blue wool gown. I walked right in front of the camera.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 24 2012 :  11:12:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Impressive, - thanks, ...

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2012 :  7:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It looked as if it was a touching ceremony, and I am sorry that the weather in the western part of the state kept me grounded.

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 25 2012 :  6:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very emotional ...

Please do welcome our newest member [seen in one of the videos with her sister], the Daughter of Seamus, Suzi Burns. A wonderful tribute to your Dad!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 26 2012 :  12:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Suzi!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 31 2012 :  08:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here is a couple of pics which I have been going back to when I think of Mike:

Image Insert:

76.65KB

Image Insert:

65.84KB

...I'd like to think that The Colonel is leading his new battalion in drill & ceremony, on Heaven's parade ground, even as I type this

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 25 2012 :  11:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Augusta Regiment held its annual business meeting on Sunday, February 12th. Words cannot express how difficult it was to be there and hold the meeting without Mike at the helm. Our Vice-President, Captain Lynn Otto of our sister regiment (Weiser's Battalion) officiated most ably, but it just was not the same.

Nancy Slease, "the former dark-haired lass" of the MacWilliams Chronicles fame, was there, and it was very difficult for her, as well. There were many tears shared, especially when Lynn read the beautiful note of thanks that Nancy had written to the Regiment. She is the woman in this photo.
Image Insert:

85.3KB

The meeting was held in the recreated "Green Draggon Tavern" that is owned by one of our members, Scott Baylor (in the photo below). We also celebrated the 12th anniversary of the founding of the Regiment.
Image Insert:

86.14KB

Here is the cake we had.
Image Insert:

81.49KB

In honor and memory of our Captain Slease, it was decided that all of the soldiers will be wearing black crepe armbands on the upper left arm of their Regimental coats for the entire re-enacting year. Ladies will wear either a black ribbon mourning knot on their left shoulder or a black ribbon tied around their white cap, also for the entire year.

In addition, we will be holding an 18th-century-style Military Memorial Service for him at Pennsylvania Charter Day, March 11th. The event will be at the Conrad Weiser Homestead, the home base of our sister regiment. I'm sure there will be many more tears on that day.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 25 2012 :  1:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That has got to be difficult, Joyce --- carry on!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 25 2012 :  4:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great pics WW, - tough meeting I'm sure, but almost time to take the field again.

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 27 2012 :  09:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Joyce. I still think about Mike about everyday!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 27 2013 :  6:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hard to believe it's been a year, ...

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 28 2013 :  4:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, very much so.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 02 2013 :  9:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, it is hard to believe.

We are marching on. Nancy and the girls are doing OK, although it was understandably a very difficult year for them. Nancy is still involved in the regiment, although she doesn't attend camping events. Nancy was so kind to invite me to stay with her when I went down for our annual Christmas party weekend. We had a wonderful visit, reminisced, and shared stories and yes... tears.

So, our official year of mourning has ended, and the black armbands are removed from uniforms and put away. Our grieving has lessened, but we will always remember and miss Mike... our Colonel Slease.

Previous Topic: Memorial Day 2016 Topic Next Topic: A southerner on Mt. Washington, ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07