Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/4/2024 7:48:07 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Benteen's order
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Isandlwana/Isandlwhana Similiarities Topic Next Topic: The Charge of the Lght Brigade
Page: of 53

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - May 27 2004 :  08:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Must bow to more knowledge heads in the matter of Custer's political ambitions.

El Crab you mentioned Custer was 36 years old.Hell he looks a sickly 70.I don't think I'v ever seen a more insipid uninspiring looking military leader.Amazing he got anyone to follow him.Benteen looks like someones cuddley uncle.The chinless Tom Custer looks spineless.Reno is not too bad looks more like a portly cookhouse orderly than a major.Calhoun appears fairly dashing with his hat at a rackish angle.De Rudio reminds me of a circus ringmaster.Cooke the Brit look exactly like what he was a deserter from the catering corps.
Keogh now there the man I would follow.
Whatcha think lads?
Slan

Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - May 27 2004 :  11:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage
Dead on characterizations....... The face tells all, doesn't it? Now, looking at Kitchener and Gordon........

The Army was top heavy with officers from the CW, simmering at ranks lower than their CW brevets. Crook was eventually forced out to make room for Nelson Miles. And there were people just as good or better than Custer who had been Generals during the CW to take over who had never been courtmartialed or relieved of command. Custer was a problem for the Army in peacetime. And he may have lost Sheridan's affection during this latest episode, who had been his biggest fan.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - May 27 2004 :  9:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Custer was not fired from his position as a Command officer of the United States Army. In the approaching winter campaign, initated by General Philip Sheridan, he was selected to command the Dakota column westward from Fort Abraham Lincoln. He was to work in conjunction with General Crook commanding the Department of the Platte. The two columns were to converge on the winter roamers in the Yellowstone country. Sheridan failed to reckon with the logistical problem of mounting armies in isolated, winter lands. Thus both prongs were delayed. In the meantime, as it often happens in our era, politics raised its ugly head. As a result of Custer's congressional testimony against a member of President Grant's entourage, Custer was deposed in favor of General Terry. Demoted from leader of one prong of the expedition to a subordinant under Terry? yes. Fired, of course not. Also, the unsavory antics of Custer's Court Martial had absolutey nothing to do with the winter campaign. He was suspended from rank and command for one year(1867.)

During the 60's the publication of Thomas Berger's Little Big Man was published. Custer was depicted as a vain, cruel, bordering on the insane psychopath. Thus, a myth was born. Of course this description has nothing to do with reality. Yet, how many of us buy into this portrayal lock, stock, and barrel?

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - May 27 2004 :  10:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage
Not what I read. Custer was removed from participation with the regiment. Only a series of entreaties allowed him to ride with the 7th. He did not have command of it, it seems, till sent down the Rosebud. If allowed to stand, Custer would have been viewed as on his way out.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

El Crab
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - May 28 2004 :  01:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Send El Crab an AOL message  Send El Crab a Yahoo! Message
Custer was in command of the 7th when reinstated. He was also offered the opportunity to command Reno's scout in lieu of Reno, but declined. If he was along for the ride for a while, who led the 7th? Reno?

The problem with a lot of what's said on this site is the lack of footnotes. Show me the name of the book and the page in which its said that Custer was not in command of the 7th upon being reinstated to the Montana Column.

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - May 28 2004 :  02:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage
I’m sorry, but I came into this late and just don’t have time to read all eight pages before writing my part. So, if I cover the same old ground, please forgive me.

This is a good question and it’s one that’s probably asked more than any other question regarding the LBH. Matter-of-fact, I asked the same question, to my panel, when I chaired the 1995 cbhma symposium. The panel members were Richard Fox, Brian Pohanka, and the late Joe Sills. I spent countless hours transcribing and editing the panel discussion for publication later that year, so for months I went to sleep thinking of Custer’s last message to Benteen.

I’ll share with you some of the responses from the panel, but first my response. It’s so easy to criticize Benteen’s actions while one sits in their recliner thumbing through hundreds of books and articles about this subject. The answer though is quite simple; Benteen did nothing wrong, and he did not disobey orders. He didn’t disobey orders any worse than Custer did in regards to his orders from Terry.

Fighting Indians in 1876 is quite the opposite of fighting Iraqis in 2004 – the strategy may be the same, but the circumstances are different due to time, distance, and forms (or lack there of) of communications. Benteen and Reno had to do what they did because of their situations. They would’ve been dammed if they’d left their wounded to be cut-down by Indian boys as the suicide mission rode off to find Custer.

So, what did the other panel members have to say regarding this subject?

First my question to them:

“Benteen has Custer’s last message put away in his pocket when he comes to Reno’s rescue on Reno Hill. Viewing the remnants of Reno’s men coming up the hill, demoralized, scared, wounded, Benteen must be perplexed as to what to do. Looking around he sees no sign of Custer; Reno doesn’t know where Custer is. Benteen decides to stay put and help organize these men into a fighting force once again. Was Benteen right or was he wrong in ignoring the last message from Custer? Even if Benteen had decided to go in search of Custer, could Reno have legally ordered Benteen to stay?

Responses – condensed –if you read only one part then read the final few paragraphs under Sills…those should open your eyes!!

Pohanka:

Remember what the message said, “Come on…” Come on where? If this became an issue, Benteen could have said that he saw an emergency that had to be dealt with. Reno was a Major and Benteen a Captain, so if Reno had ordered Benteen to do something, then Benteen would have had to do it. Benteen judged Reno to have been affected by what happened. Benteen is no doubt grappling with this problem and at the same time as he is trying to deal with other problems in the Reno battalion. I tend to agree with what 2nd Lt. Edgerly later said, that if they had gone further north they would probably have died.

Another thing with this is I think we tend to impose a modem view (two World Wars, Vietnam, a Pentagon military-industrial complex view) on the 19th century. There may well be somewhere in a 19th century manual an answer to the question: Does a Captain have the right to overrule a Major if he is carrying an order from a superior? I'm not interested in what it is today. I'm interested in what it was then. And I would hazard to guess that it was not that cut and dried in the 19th century.

I could talk about the great disaster the British had at Isandhlwana where the Zulus' wiped out a battalion and half of the 24th Regiment (Anglo - Zulu War 1879). It happened precisely because nobody could agree who was in command. You had a Royal Engineer Colonel commanding white volunteers. You had a Red Coated Major commanding white infantry and both sort of thought the other guy was in charge. The Colonel thought the Major was in charge because the Colonel was only commanding his native troops. The Major thought the Colonel was in charge because he was a Colonel and he was a Major. I don't think it was cut and dried in the 19th century.

We know what Benteen thought of Custer. We know he thought Custer was a pompous ass. We know that Benteen probably thought he had been purposely sent off on a wild goose chase to be kept out of the battle. And, I'm sure that Benteen thought that Custer wanted him to be quick and wants him to bring packs, but these are mutually exclusive things.

There are obviously solutions to that. Benteen could have forged ahead with some of the companies. Remember, Benteen did not just proceed at a crawl. Many who were with him testified that they moved; they were not just creeping along. The most vicious accusation that could ever be made about Benteen is that he wanted Custer to die. I've seen a letter that Lt. Gibson wrote to the brother of Mrs. Yates. It was a hateful diatribe against Reno, Benteen and everybody that ever crossed Custer's path in a negative way. It implied that Benteen was slow and dragged his heels because he wanted Custer to die. I think that Benteen was shocked and horrified when the wheels in his head began to turn after that battle. I think he is as much a victim of the aftermath as men like Weir and French. I think that Benteen began to second guess his actions in his way, it wasn't to drink himself to death like Weir and French did; his reaction was to become even more entrenched and hateful and cynical and bitter. This is reflected, of course, in his later writing.

Fox:

The way that the situation played out at the time, I think was a demonstration that people were quite comfortable with Benteen’s decision.

I think most of our questions and ponderings take place knowing the ultimate results of what happened. We know that Custer and all his men died. So, when we read a message to bring packs and be quick we might think ammunition. But, we are thinking in retrospect. I think that Custer wanted Benteen to be quick. He didn't say for the packs to be quick, he said to be quick and then he said to bring packs. It's hard to be quick and bring packs at the same time. The point is, here is a pack train hanging out there and the action is about to start and so what you want to do is consolidate so everyone can operate together. I don't see any dire situation in that message.

Sills:

The officer who chooses to disobey an order should have a good reason for not doing so. I think Benteen would be perfectly justified, given the situation he came upon. What would you expect him to do, ride by and wave? Seriously, you have to ask yourself that question. There were wounded, disarmed, dismounted, disorganized soldiers coming up the top of that bluff. What does Benteen do? I think his primary function may be to the regiment as a whole, irrespective of the order of the commanding officer. Remember, Benteen does not know that Custer is in trouble and in fact Custer is not in trouble. Custer's last message signifies no trouble! It doesn't signify difficulty at all. Custer hasn't fired a round when he sent that message to Benteen.

When the message was dispatched. Custer had not seen the full extent of the Indian village. Benteen and Reno had not seen the full extent of the village and were aware only in terms of numbers of those who faced Reno. None of them were aware that there might be many more warriors around than they suspected. And, they knew what had happened to Reno with few soldiers. Custer had twice as many soldiers.

Benteen is sent a message at a point in time where Custer at that point does not know exactly where Benteen is. Has Benteen continued on further to the southwest than he in fact did? Remember, Custer learns of Benteen's position only when Boston arrives and Boston passes the last messenger, Martini. The messenger is already gone. So, be quick may have a reference to wherever you are, get out of there now, pick up the packs and move!

I agree with Fox that it's a consolidation maneuver rather than anything else. Packs do not mean ammunition. If Custer wanted ammunition and all the ammunition, then good-bye pack train and good-bye Reno. That's the idea, that now I'm going to consolidate my position with all the 24,000 spare rounds of the regiment in my hands with the eight companies and the rest of you can go hang. That's in effect what you are saying if you believe that concept; to bring all the spare ammunition to Custer. Benteen (three companies), Custer (five companies); the rest of the companies can whistle for it. Because, I'm going to be in a tough situation and I'm going to survive; the rest of you may die but that's life in the frontier army.

Doesn't make sense and I don't think Custer made that kind of decision. He would not even have had the information to make that decision at the time the message was sent!

These guys didn't know they were heading for disaster. The first time Benteen knew there was a disaster was when he saw Reno. The other information Benteen was getting from Kanipe and Martin was, "Hey boys, we got them." Custer is charging the village, killing them left and right! Maybe these guys are not the smartest people in the world but the information coming back from the front is favorable and Benteen figures he won't get there to burn a tipi.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com
www.friendslittlebighorn.com
www.friendsnezpercebattlefields.org

Edited by - bhist on May 28 2004 04:33:31 AM

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - May 28 2004 :  03:50:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bhist
I’m sorry, but I came into this late and just don’t have time to read all eight pages before writing my part. So, if I cover the same old ground, please forgive me.

Nice piece of work, it pretty well sums up most of what we have been kicking around here.

Just two points

Pohanka--Does a Captain have the right to overrule a Major if he is carrying an order from a superior?
I'm open to correction but I believe Reno stated in his report of the action that when Benteen arrived he took command of the combined troops thus now taking responsibility for that order.

And just in relation to Isandhlwana for historical accuracy both officers were Lt.Cols and the command situation was not an element in the defeat of the British.

Once again nice work and
Regards

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - May 28 2004 :  04:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage
quote:
[
Pohanka: And just in relation to Isandhlwana for historical accuracy both officers were Lt.Cols and the command situation was not an element in the defeat of the British.

Once again nice work and
Regards

WildI -- thanks for the mention. When Pohanka stated that, he was in front of an audience and didn't have access to his library for reference. But, his point could be well taken.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

Edited by - bhist on May 28 2004 04:32:14 AM

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - May 28 2004 :  06:23:00 AM  Show Profile
Bhist:
Thanks for the synopsis of that panel discussion. Reading it, it reminds me how uncoordinated things were about the time the Benteen order is sent. Custer knows about where Reno is but not exactly sure where Benteen is. Reno dosen't know exactly where Custer is. Benteen dosen't know exactly where either Reno or Custer are until he comes upon Reno's dispirited troops. I realize that coordination is easy to say, but dificult to accomplish. But when you split a regiment three ways in the face of a superior enemy (even if you think they will run, not fight) some coordination is essential. I get the picture that neither Custer, Reno, or Benteen was really sure what the others were supposed to do.
Benteen--having been sent "away"-- needs to be called back. That was Custers true error-sending Benteen away in the first place.

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - May 28 2004 :  06:54:47 AM  Show Profile
Why did Cooke not have a military order book.Surely he was writing numerious orders as part of his duties and copies had to be kept for the smooth administration of the regiment.
He was the excutive officer,an order book should have been the primary tool of trade.That scrawled note just about sums up everything about that disfunctional regiment

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - May 28 2004 :  10:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage
Good on that panel, whenever, wherever. Finally, away from the conspiracy theories and up with common sense. My joy is augmented with how closely it is to my own views, which are, of course, flawless.

Tough room.....

Wild, honest to St. Pete, an order book? We're going to complain about the lack of official paperwork in the middle of Ringworm County, Montana? Are you imagining the likes of Kanipe and Martin folding up orders to attach to their folder in their official 7th brief case? Of course, it makes sense to a degree, but .....honestly, you're complaining about a lack of an official ORDER BOOK?

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - May 28 2004 :  1:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Wild, honest to St. Pete, an order book? We're going to complain about the lack of official paperwork in the middle of Ringworm County, Montana?

I'm serious Dark cloud.Are some battlefields more conducive to properly written orders than others?If that order had been filled out in a proper military fashion we would not be having this conversation.
Anyway If I'm going to meet my maker at the LBH I would much prefare if the death warrent was not made out on a piece of Cooke's arse paper.
Regards

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - May 28 2004 :  1:49:29 PM  Show Profile
It has not been my intent, nor shall it ever be my intent to condemn Benteen's failure to obey the written order of Custer. I have said this repeatedly, over and over again. Still remarks such as judging another man while reclining in your arm chair continue to be written (I don't own an arm chair). My original poll was clear,so I thought, in this basic premise: Did Benteen obey or disobey a written order? The order, from General Custer, expressed to Benteen that the village was big, to come on, and bring packs. There was one thought by an esteemed panel member that the reference to packs did not necessarily refer to ammunition. If not ammunition, what then? Food?! Surely Custer did not have a siege in mind. The panel members were absolutely correct in noting the vast differences between this battle and, the one in Iraq. To compare the both would be ludicrous. However, a direct order then and, a direct order now remain, essentially, the same.

It has been suggested that Benteen's decision to defer to the major was acceptable. I do not dispute that. A military option of this nature is correct if based on legal and proper military circumstances. Such an act would not negate failure to obey a lawful order. At a subsequent hearing, and there certainly would have been one had Custer survived, Benteen may have been absolved of any wrong doing or, he may not.

Benteen would not have been criticized for leaving the wounded. He had None! While Reno was certainly straddled with wounded the critical point is this, and I fear being redundant: Reno and Benteen observed the warriors rush away from their position. The threat to the injured no longer existed.! Perhaps the officers did not know Custer's Location. Where did they think that hundreds of screaming, embolden, victorious, Indians were suddenly rushing off to? A fire sale at Macy's? I am not suggesting that Benteen should have charged helter, skelter into a suicide mission like a Mad Hater. This was a moment in time when Benteen may have gather additional,critical intelligence by filling the vacuum created by the fleeing warriors. We know for a certainty that the warriors withdrew from Custer's position when they sighted the troops on Weir's Point later. Sadly, it was too little too late. What if a similar, cautious approach had been attempted an hour earlier?

When an order is received you are left with two options, to obey it or not. Moral issues, battle circumstances, personalities,etc., are not part of that particular equasion. Those particulars comprise the "WHY" of our ability to do or not do a thing. What if Custer had survived? What do you think his opinion may have been regarding the actions of Reno and Benteen? We will never know.

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - May 28 2004 :  4:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Cloud

Good on that panel, whenever, wherever. Finally, away from the conspiracy theories and up with common sense. My joy is augmented with how closely it is to my own views, which are, of course, flawless.

The cbhma symposium has been around a long time. It’s held in the Hardin Middle School in Hardin, MT inside a huge auditorium that has the best air-condition in town. About 70 people attend for the day long event to listen to one paper after another. Actually, most of the audience falls asleep due to the comfortable surroundings.

When I was asked to chair the symposium, I told them I would do it only if I could have total control over it. I was given that. I created “themes” for each symposium, I searched out presenters (instead of accepting any paper submitted) and I added the panel discussion. Doing this I eliminated 50% of papers given and made the symposium more “interactive” -- the audience participated for the first time. The results were fewer people taking fewer naps.

My purpose for the panel was for the same reasons you state, D.C. In the Preface to my books I wrote, “For the first time, the symposium included an afternoon panel discussion. The format of the discussion was designed to cover a broad range of controversial topics to spark audience interest, as well as to encourage debate. Those who have been unable to attend the annual cbhma meeting in June are missing out on a fun weekend. One has the opportunity to openly debate the many absorbing subjects of this battle with some of the most interesting and knowledgeable people in the world. It is my wish that reading the transcript of the panel discussion enables you to hear some ‘common sense’ ideas about controversial points of this battle.”

For a long time I had the opportunity to sit around the table with members of my panels and discuss the battle. You get a totally different perspective of the fight during these kinds of visits. I wanted to recreate that atmosphere as best I could and I think I did. The panel discussions were always the highlight of the symposium.

Now, since I’m no longer chairman, the cbhma has gone back to having eight presenters give one paper, one after another and, forgive me, but most of the papers are a rehash of stuff that’s been written about over and over again. The only person presenting today that has anything really good is Mike Donohue.

When I became president of the Friends we had a symposium as part of the NPS 125th commemoration events at the battlefield in June 2001. I took a big risk as chairman of this symposium with its theme. Instead of a symposium of more “papers” about where soldiers fought (where we think they were) I asked historians like Robert Utley and Jerry Greene to share their personal experiences while working at the battlefield. They loved the idea and the results were a big success. It was a great day.

People ask me why the Friends’ don’t have an annual symposium. Simple – you can’t do justice to this story by rehashing the same stuff every year. When I do a symposium I want it to be special, unique.

BTW – You can read about these symposiums as well as the papers that Utley and Greene presented at:

http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com/Symposiums.htm -- coverage of the two symposiums.

http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com/Utley-friends-125-symposium.htm -- Robert Utley’s presentation at the first symposium.

http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com/Jerome-greene.htm -- Jerry Greene’s presentation at the first symposium.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

Edited by - bhist on May 28 2004 4:53:45 PM

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - May 28 2004 :  4:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by joseph wiggs

It has not been my intent, nor shall it ever be my intent to condemn Benteen's failure to obey the written order of Custer. I have said this repeatedly, over and over again. Still remarks such as judging another man while reclining in your arm chair continue to be written (I don't own an arm chair). My original poll was clear,so I thought, in this basic premise: Did Benteen obey or disobey a written order?

Joseph: I think your question is a good one. My remarks about sitting in a recliner were not directed at you specifically, but as a general statement as to how we tend to forget that we have the advantage of 20/20 hindsight while discussing this battle. We need to always make sure we get out of the recliner, stretch and clear our minds and then try to sit back down in a chair of the 19th century.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

Edited by - bhist on May 28 2004 4:48:54 PM

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - June 02 2004 :  9:00:52 PM  Show Profile
A great deal of the controversy regarding this battle stems from the accusation that Custer attacked a village of immense proportions. The larger the village, the more Custer is implicated as rash for taking on a task of this magnitude. Does the converse work as well, the smaller the village, the more brilliant was Custer. If not, why not?

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - June 02 2004 :  9:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage
Gee, I dunno. Because he got wiped out, maybe?

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - June 02 2004 :  9:49:49 PM  Show Profile
He lives beneath the the mountain, in dark and clammy caves. Alone and bitter, he fends off those who may differ from him in any way. What a miserable creature is he. Unable to stand before men, he crouches in the dark and emotes: Gollum, Gollum, Gollum. You do not belong.

El Crab
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - June 03 2004 :  12:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Send El Crab an AOL message  Send El Crab a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Cloud

Gee, I dunno. Because he got wiped out, maybe?

Ok, you have to admit that that's funny.

I came. I saw. I took 300 pictures.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - June 03 2004 :  8:50:57 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps it is amusing to some. It's certainly a lot easier than answering the question, isn't it?

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - June 03 2004 :  10:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage
Okay. You're serious.

I did answer the question. "If not, why not?" Because he and his command were slaughtered by even fewer than previously thought, if true. That's why nobody thinks his acts, or Custer himself, brilliant.

Wiggs, one of the problems with copying or tightly paraphrasing other's words as your own is that it supplants need to think about what they're saying. It's more than producing volumes of words in a post and signing it and expecting respect and informed response for offering near quotes from others' works. The problem is, based on this last exchange, is that not only do you not understand what others have written in response, you don't understand what you yourself have 'written' in the first place.

You probably don't want to discuss the anti-Semitic undertones in Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, nor are you likely to be able to give a coherent explanation of why, I can only assume, comparing me to Gollum makes the remotest sense other than both are somehow evil in your mind, or why JRR Tolkien chose that name. But to you it apparently gives the impression of some heft of literacy, so you post it.

It doesn't and you shouldn't, because this works seriously against you.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - June 04 2004 :  9:09:01 PM  Show Profile
You would be surprised how familiar I am with Lord of the Rings. You would be stunned. It is your insidious, repeated, and needlessly personal attacks against every forum member who dissagrees with you that is astounding. It is this odious characteristic you have chosen (KEY) that labels you a Gollum. Anti-semitic? That statement clearly proves that it is you who knows little. What has occurred in your life that has deluded you into believing that you are the Alpha and Omega of all knowledge concerning this battle. The Lord of the Rings is about the Holy Grail, "Whom does it serve?" Answer this question.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - June 04 2004 :  11:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage
I've repeatedly said that neither I - nor anyone - knows what happened at this battle. Evidence again you don't read. In any case, you continue to confuse yourself with others. People have accused YOU of lying, not everyone on the board.

Given the primacy of the golem in yiddish literature in Europe, you see no metaphor emerging in Tolkien's tale of a pre-Christian Europe? Given that everything else in the LOTR is taken from European mythology, we're to assume this name, somehow, wasn't?

This is really off topic. No more.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - June 05 2004 :  8:08:52 PM  Show Profile
Agreed!

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - June 08 2004 :  10:46:04 PM  Show Profile
Final summation:

I have truly enjoyed the responses gathered during this poll. They have beeb varied and interesting. While some completely dissagreed with me, others did not. It was never my intent to place Benteen under a moral microscope then sanctimoniously judge him as, apparently, some forum members would have you to believe. Certainly, Benteen was a brave and proven soldier. My intent was merely to show that he selected one option of many that was available. Right or Wrong, he chose to not follow the last written order from his commander, General George A. Custer. Perhaps this action saved the remainder of the command from certain death, perhaps not. Death or survival was not part of the equasion regarding the specific poll question. Did he or did he not "Come On, Be Quick?" From the very beginning, that was the only issue. I sincerely believe that he failed to obey that command. He may have had the very best of reasons for doing so. However, I can not but think that Custer, and the 210 men who died with him, would have not agreed with Benteen's decision.
Page: of 53 Previous Topic: Isandlwana/Isandlwhana Similiarities Topic Next Topic: The Charge of the Lght Brigade  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03