Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/18/2024 1:06:35 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Cobra II
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The new myth Topic Next Topic: Lt. s Harrington and Sturgis?  

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - March 20 2006 :  5:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those so quick to charge conspiracy and betrayal and all of that in the Custer fiasco, you might want to read Cobra II, just out, about the latest Iraq War and occupation.

Absent any unit being slaughtered, it reads in many ways as confused and luck driven as 1876's army, and this conclusion bolstered by quotes from officers and men both. The world's best military up against one of the worst, and while the end result can't be said to have been in doubt, there were several times when there could have been serious numbers of US battle casualties where we could (maybe)have lost an M1 to the enemy, although unlikely they could have used it.

Friendly fire, flying blind, things not prepared for, confused command, good officers falling apart, nothing seems to have changed in many regards. Oh, except officers momentarily falling apart aren't called cowards and worse.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - July 22 2007 :  6:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Cloud

For those so quick to charge conspiracy and betrayal and all of that in the Custer fiasco, you might want to read Cobra II, just out, about the latest Iraq War and occupation.

While I may agree with you regarding the battle being a fiasco, I can not agree that anyone (with even a driblet of intelligence) would agree with your theory conspiracy and betrayal. Mind you, I am not referring to the shock and disillusioned citizen of 1876 who assumed that Indians were nothing more than savages and, therefore, incapable of besting the U.S. army. I am referring to contemporaneous perspectives.

Could you give an example of "those so quick" to charge this clandestine conspiracy that resulted in Custer's defeat? All this time I assumed Custer lost because the Indians won.

Edited by - joseph wiggs on July 22 2007 6:21:20 PM
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - July 27 2007 :  10:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!, Still awaiting an example from the Wizard of Oz.
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: The new myth Topic Next Topic: Lt. s Harrington and Sturgis?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03