Out By The Corner Mailbox
Out By The Corner Mailbox
5/17/2024 5:17:27 AM
Events | Active Polls | Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads | Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend Out On The Corner!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Net IPGate Include
 All Forums
 The Old Neighborhood
 Reminisces
 The Tommy Lieber Boots Story, Tequilla & Pies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: SMASHING THE GUITAR OVER KATHYS HEAD PICTURE Topic Next Topic: Anyone remember the Pagoda or Lens Hamburgers
Page: of 2

Bean
Still Hangin' At The Mailbox

USA

Posted - February 19 2003 :  04:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen ( or Doris ) how about one of you telling that story about me, the bicycle and the creek at the green, ending up at Doris's mothers house...and Karen can all tell the hey Frank can drink the whole bottle of tequilla story and has a hard head or they don't make bathroom floors like the use to? ..or the Grandma's Pie is missing story... cause I had a bad case of the stoned munchies.
Please would somebody else post something Anything...even a Todd Rundgren story...Bean

or Foch the We can Drive a very drunk and stoned Marty Seltzer around in the trunk of the car story and end up at a kinks show.

Bean

USA

Posted - January 15 2004 :  12:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll never forget those brown suede Tommy Liber boots purchased at Flag Brothers in Green Acres !
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

lucy in the sky
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - May 22 2005 :  09:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...i remember tommy lieber coming to my parent's house way back...he was a friend of my brother's.....he married eileen kelly???? (she was a Phi Tau Delta "sister" ....back in '70?). I remember Paul lieber (he had an afro) from the Club Bar....A few years back I met Jimmy through some friends...i remember tommy with long blonde hair...

Bean

USA

Posted - May 22 2005 :  3:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think or the last I heard Tommy and kelly were still together living up in the Woodstock NY area. His family still run the funeral parlors in Valley Stream or at least they did up until a few years ago. I remember hanging out there witrh him one night and I had theidea of wanting to bulid speaker cabinets out of caskets and call our band the Undertakers??? Tommy nwas never in any bands with me but we played several tiime together in different variations. I think he made some basses for some famous people like Stanley Clarke, and possibly Phil Lesh too, but I'm not sure about that. I'm sure there were lots of others. Doc would probbably know. I think Vince has a Tommy bass too.?
Bean

richm
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - October 28 2005 :  12:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the little park on the west side of the Cross Island Parkway, between Merrick and Linden Blvds? We used to ride into Laurelton on our bikes to get there and use the swings and goof around when adventuring near Twin Ponds. There was also a small 'pocket park' on Brookville Blvd. just south of Merrick. If you lived near the city line these places were easy to get to.

Bean

USA

Posted - October 28 2005 :  01:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich,
I remember all those parks because I lived about 7 houses off where Hook Creek and Elmont Rd split...near Suicide Hill where we would go sleigh riding. We would ride up there with our bicycles too, and if we got adventurous we would go up to Brookville Park too.
I can remember fishing in Twin Ponds and catching carp and once a giant snapping turtle !

richm
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - October 28 2005 :  11:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bean: I remember once swimming in Twin Ponds with my friends. I don't know if the beach is still open there....there was a good bakery called Twin Ponds Bakery in Laurelton, near the bike shop and La Tosca's Pizza. There were some good things about living on the west side of Valley Strea. Before our time, the area was called Foster's Meadow. Brookville Blvd. was Fosters Meadow Rd., I think. Southerly flowing streams flowed through the area....I would imagine the stream that formed Twin Ponds was called Hook Creek. A stream that flowed out of the lake at what was Valley Stream State Park flowed right through the Village Green. A creek bisected the block I lived on (Fairfax Street) and flowed into a pond now covered and called Duffy's Park at Arlington Ave. and Merrick Rd. Another stream flowing just east of Lyon Street joined it. Waters from the pond went south...I would again assume a place name from it: Clearstream Avenue. The pond once had a politically incorrect name, according to old maps. Water played and important part in my childhood, we were, in a sense, surrounded by it.

Bean

USA

Posted - October 29 2005 :  12:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich interseting facts??? Some I knew and some I didn't. I think if we went back to those areas now though we would hardly recognize them? I still have one good freind who remains in that area on Everett St, one block up from Hook Creek ( just off Essex place ) that friend being the Foch or as others may know him Neil Facci.

Yelnats
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - October 29 2005 :  6:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still live in V.S. and travel Hook Creek Blvd Every day and no you wouldnt recognize the western section of V.S. Do you guys also rememberwhen telephone numbers started off with 2 letters? CUrtis-5,
VAlley Stream 5, PYramid 5, LOcust 5 . Well a lot has changed here some for the better and some for the worse. Come a visit sometime and see for yourself.
Stan Slevinski

richm
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - October 29 2005 :  6:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My phone number in those five was CU-5-9238. And the CU was for Curtiss, as in Glenn Curtiss, the aviation pioneer. There was an airfield south of Sunrise called Curtiss Field, of which some hangars may still survive as industrial buildings. There was at least one into the late sixties/early seventies. Most of the field became the Green Acres Mall, an abomination which wiped out businesses for miles around. Part of the airfield may have become the location for the Sunrise Drive-In. This became a central location for many teens' introduction to the venereal arts. According to some, Charles Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis spent one night at Curtiss Field before hopping off to Roosevelt Field for its historic flight across the Atlantic in 1927. And we all know what happened to Roosevelt Field. Lindbergh's flights may also go in the record books as the first solo mall hopping in America, if only Gertz and A&S had existed in those places at that time. Rich M

Bean

USA

Posted - October 29 2005 :  8:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My # was CU5-7267 and up until last February when my parents house was sold and it remained the same since from when they bought the house around 1940. Later it just got referred to as 285-7267 when the letter part of the phone # became a thing of the past. LO for locust was the Clearstream Ave section of VS and VA was the central area near the high schools and Firemans Field. Were those hangers near the Bolova watch factory behind Green Acres where there is a Home Depot now???

Many fond memories of the Valley Stream Drive in !!! I hope the girls feel the same today?

Bean

Edited by - Bean on October 29 2005 8:28:36 PM

richm
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - October 29 2005 :  10:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Mr. Bean, the Bulova factory was back there. One of my neighbors owned a sign company called Seaboard. It was in one of the old hangars. His name was Silver, I can't remember his first name. His son Mark went to Shaw Ave. School and should be about fifty or so now. Nice family. I think Mark had a younger brother named Andrew. They lived across the street from the Rasos, another family of Good People. I have seen Louise and Andrea Raso a couple of times in the last few years.

Bean

USA

Posted - October 30 2005 :  09:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew Andrea a little, she might remember me? I forgot where they lived though? What st?
Also Since you are a few years older than me did you know any kids who lived on Sobro Ave in that area especially down toward where it meets Hook Creek? There were several older kids on my block who graduated central a few years before me...here's some I remember; Joe and Jean Angrosoni, Two brothers Ted and Bob Cedar, Phyllis Ianello ( who lived right next store to me and whas my freinds older sister ) there was another girl named Anne Marie forgot her last name but and there is no other way to say this nicely she was a very big girl if you know what I mean, also there was the big Amedalore family who lived in that giant house right on the corner of Sobro and Hook Creek, my older sister married one of the brothers there, but the ones you might know were Frankiie, & Anthony who were closer to our ages except they went to Elmont Memorial. My brother and sister went to Sewanaka but ny the time I was old enough for school they changed the zoning and school districts so I started at Washington Ave, them Shaw, Memorial and Central.
There were other older kids in my immediate area that might ring a bell, a kid named Brian Brady, and this other kid Tommy who were like these super cool mod kids always dress liked they were members of the Beatles, Stones, kinks or who back in the 60's, and this duggie kid who would inhale glue down and get drunk down at the creek at the end of sobro, his last name wad Egan and he had a twin brother who was was sort of the opposite of him
who always looked put together and never stoned. Another was was this kid Ralphie who lived on the opposite corner of the Amedlaore's at the end of Sobro on Hook Creek, can't remember their last name though.

Up near where you lived there was this girl whose fasther raised pigeons over the roof of their garage, she lived off that little side street off Everette before you got to Ormande blvd. Was that Fairfax, or Amherst..I forget now but if you tuened right on that street and made the first left you were on Carol Ave?

Does any of this make any sense?

Bean

USA

Posted - October 30 2005 :  09:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richie, Doc? Come on help me. You guys remember a lot better than me, names of people and streets, etc..since I was usually too wasted and you guys were hauling me around trying to keep me out of trouble or from hurting myself or someone else?

richm
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - October 30 2005 :  12:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bean: I don't remember any of the people you mention. I graduated Central in '65. Three years later I was out of Valley Stream for good. I lived on Fairfax Street. When my family first moved in there were wooded areas across the street. The Raso house was built there. I suppose that my school years in Valley Stream were a more innocent time than for those that came after my generation. Rough years were ahead for some of those just a year or two younger than my crowd. Drugs and violence claimed some. I would venture we all know someone who succumbed.

doc
Into the 60's

Posted - October 30 2005 :  2:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Send doc an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bean

Up near where you lived there was this girl whose fasther raised pigeons over the roof of their garage, she lived off that little side street off Everette before you got to Ormande blvd. Was that Fairfax, or Amherst..I forget now but if you tuened right on that street and made the first left you were on Carol Ave?

Does any of this make any sense?

Hmm..., a 'sensable Bean'.... I believe that would be considered an oxymoron wouldn't it??

Yep, there was one house there on Beverly Pl. (Between Everett and Foster Ave.) and they held pigeons with coops in the garage. The owner of the house was also the owner of the candy store on Hook Creek Blvd. for a time.

Friday, on the way home from Laguardia, I passed through the old neighborhood. Different. Many of the streets are full of asphalt patchwork, fewer trees...... some new construction crammed in closely.... All the homes seem so much closer together and smaller than I remember.

I also drove down Washington Ave., Stan's old block. Ok, Stan, what was the name of the family who lived in #28, Across the street from you. It was a large family and one of the boys was named Bob? He would be about 53 or 54 now.

Edited by - doc on October 30 2005 2:07:19 PM

Yelnats
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - October 31 2005 :  05:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i lived at 43 washington ave and right acroos the street from me were the williams, bob, missy and forgot the little one. i think 28 was the donnelly's they were a very large family and they were diagonally across the street from me. guees most except for the 65 graduate were too young to have partaken in some cold ones at the rock front bar on merrick rd next to wht used to be mcveigh chevrolet. how about Lou' log Cabin candy store just east of duffy's park. by the way we used to climb to the top of the incerator stack and drink beer up there . got filthy as hell and would drop the cans down the stack. bought the beer at rovals deli when it was on the corner of roeckel and merrick, sometimes ewent into frank and joans liquor store and to buy gypsy rose or some t-bird. when we could afford it we treasted ourselves to TANGO. Ah too be young and stupid again!!!!

Bean

USA

Posted - October 31 2005 :  10:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The owner of Rovels deli name was Vito, he was related to my brother in laws family ( the Amendalores and the Milillo's ) somehow and he did house painting on the side. He painted the inside of my parents house in the summer of 1970.

Bean

USA

Posted - October 31 2005 :  10:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the candy store right next to the Datun dealer near Duffey's park and across from McVeigh Chevy( now Nissan ) I think it was called Conte's and that's where we got our basebal cards..

and yes the houses do look so much smaller and closer together from how I remembered them !!!

richm
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - October 31 2005 :  11:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good People: Conte's was a focal point of our existence, with Mr. and Mrs. Conte offering the finest in penny candies (in a large glass cabinet), sodas (including the lesser known Mission and Minck's brands), papers, magazines, comic books, baseball cards and cheap toys. A kid could stay busy in there spending his fortune.
Just to the west of Conte's was the wonderful Nick's Barber Shop, and in the fifties and sixties there were three great guys cutting hair in there: Nick Sciacca, Henry Streit and Vinnie Petretti. In the back were girlie magazines, and in the front one toy car for kiddie haircuts. One day Nick told me to look in a cardboard box on the window still facing the sidewald. In it were a bunch of Downbeat Awards and other memoribilia for Best Clarinetist Tony Scott, a bop player who was Nick's brother. Tony had moved overseas and left the stuff with Nick for safekeeping.
Further west was Sal's Super Deli, a terrific Italian deli which became a lunchtime destination for some of us in sixth grade at Shaw. Sal's wife Rose was proprietor of Rose's Superette in Rosedale by Rosedale Lanes.
Further west was the little joint known as Lou's Log Cabin. Lou was the wife of Carl, a Japanese immigrant. It was said that Carl had lost his family in Hiroshima, but I never found if that was accurate.
I never frequented the Rock Front Tavern. That seemed to our crowd a heavy drinker's kind of place. My crowd, which started our legal drinking in '65 or so, would go to the Central Inn, or later on, the Gateway. The C.I. offered a great roast beef sandwich for seventy-five cents, along with fifteen cent draft beers.
Across the street from the Gateway and McVeigh Chevrolet, in Duffy's Park was a a bench. Some nights a group of us would hang there and sing. The harmonizing was good practice for some of the bands we were in, or would later join or form.
I remember when Roval's deli was built, but my family remained loyal to Freddie Schenck's deli on Merrick next to Petillo's butcher shop, which to this writer was the greatest of all butcher shops. The youngest son in the Petillo family, Willie, was not only a top notch butcher, but a great drummer as well.
Valley Stream was a great place to grow up in that time, a deeper place than would appear on the surface. Rich M.

Bean

USA

Posted - October 31 2005 :  11:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Image Insert:

25.17 KB

Bean

USA

Posted - November 01 2005 :  12:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Above is " The Foch " Neil Facci still residing at 14. S. Everette St in V.S. with him his Judy and Eddie Macowski who lived on the corner of Frankin Rd. and Everette right where the infamous " Mailbox " use to be located.

Bean

USA

Posted - November 01 2005 :  12:09:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I remember Pettillo's Meat Market well...and A.J. Willie's younger brother was also a great drummer too. He had the John Bonham look and appeal to him as the sweat flew off him...

Bean

USA

Posted - November 01 2005 :  12:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Roses Superette in Rosedale, but not Lou's Log Cabin? Was it near the bear and soda distrubutor?

richm
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - November 01 2005 :  12:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know of A.J. Petillo. I would love to say hello to Willie, as I knew him. Nice photo, by the way. High water on Twin Ponds? Lou's Log Cabin would have been at the east edge of Duffy's Park, north side of Merrick Rd. Judging by the photo, your generation was cooler than mine.

Bean

USA

Posted - November 01 2005 :  02:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Lou's Log Cabin was exactly where you said than I think it changed names by the time I remember it, it was some sort of bar or Tavern but I can't remember what the name was. I'll have to ask Foch where the above picture was taken. I'm not sure if was Twin Ponds or not.

What was the luncheonette place that was at the end of the corner if you turned left at Merrick Rd, from Shaw Ave and went up to the next corner? I think that street may have been Martins Ave but I'm not sure?

Going in the other direction down by Linden Blvd, the Tudor shopping area, Tudor Jewlers, the Bakery, post office etc.....do you remember or did you know Bradley's luncheonette, we use to call the old guy with the cigar Mr. B. It was the last store of the tudor store strip before you crossed over to the next strip that had " Big Top " Alden Appliance and the small Elmont Library Branch...if you kept going you would hit the fish Market at Elmont Park. My mother use to go to the beauty salon next store to Baradelys in the 50's and 60's and would take me sometimes and buy me lunch there...until Sizzler opened up by the Carvel on Linden Blvd ( next to Alden Music ) then I wanted to go there.

In Green Acres mall it was Len's hamburgers for the best char broilded burgers around !
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: SMASHING THE GUITAR OVER KATHYS HEAD PICTURE Topic Next Topic: Anyone remember the Pagoda or Lens Hamburgers  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Google Search

Search for: