Out By The Corner Mailbox
Out By The Corner Mailbox
5/17/2024 3:32:45 AM
Events | Active Polls | Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads | Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend Out On The Corner!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Net IPGate Include
 All Forums
 The Old Neighborhood
 Reminisces
 A Dream about the Mail Box and Old Gang
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: saw Elena in London last week with Ray Davies Topic Next Topic: SMASHING THE GUITAR OVER KATHYS HEAD PICTURE
Page: of 2

Bean
Still Hangin' At The Mailbox

USA

Posted - January 09 2006 :  01:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a dream last night that is was back around 1969/70 in our Mail Box High School Days. Butch, Richie and me went for one of our usual aimless rides to nowhere either in Richies Mother's Caddy or the infamous LOLA Ford Station wagon listening to our assorted music tapes of The Kinks, Deep Purple, Spirit, Stepponwolf, Hendrix, plus every other obscure band you never heard of! Our usual ride consisted of crusing around the Island down in to Long Beach, Island Park and occassionaly other places always looking for 3 things in this order girls(sex), drugs, and trouble. Usually we found them in the reverse order, we always found trouble, usually found drugs and never found enough girls, but we did and that's another story??? Anyway my dream was short and we never got to far but all I remember was us saying goodbye to each other like see ya tomorrow, so long bean, see ya doofus, and I saw Richie walk in to his mothers house and Butch and me walked up to Frankilin Rd, where he turned right down to his house and I continued past Foch's house to Sobro Ave where I lived...then I woke up! Those were good memories, I miss those days, I miss The Mail Box and all those who I met there, the Old Gang, Foch, Dink, Eddie, Doc, Skinny Vinnie, Eddie, Doofus, Richie, Benny, Ronnie, Roger, Mark, Peggy, Baby Fats, Janie, Judy ( both Judy's Judy D and Judy Macow. ) and all those I left out and even those down at the Green who weren't the Mail Box Gang but still the Valley Stream Gang from Central High and the surrounding area...
" I'd go back if I could only find a way "....
as Ray Davies said in this song...

If ever you think about the happiest days of your life
Cast back your mind for a while
And remember the time when you were a child.
Don't think of things that make you sad,
Just remember all the good times that you had.

Do you remember only happy days,
Full of flaming Junes and summer holidays?
Or do you remember those stormy Novembers
As we walked in the wind and the rain?
Schooldays were such happy days
Now they seem so far away,
I remember and I'll always treasure.
Schooldays were the happiest days of your life
But we never appreciate the good times we have
Until it's too late.

I miss all the acquaintances we made
And I'd go back if I could only find a way,
Schooldays were the happiest days
Though at the time they filled me with dismay.
We only remember what we choose to remember.
When I was a schoolboy I loathed regulations and rules
I hated my textbooks and my school uniform,
'Cos it made me conform,
And teachers were always disobeyed,
But I'd go back if I could only find a way.

Schooldays were the happiest days,
Now they seem so far away.
I remember and I'll always treasure
Schooldays were the happiest days of your life
But we never appreciate the good times we have
Until it's too late.
Now I wish I hadn't strayed,
And I'd go back if I could only find a way.
Those schooldays.

I miss the Mail Box
I miss the Vilage Green
I miss the old gang
and the way life use to be

We are the Vallley Stream Preservation Society
God Save the Village Green and all those who we once knew.

Edited by - Bean on January 09 2006 01:34:02 AM

richfed
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - January 09 2006 :  6:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe it wasn't a dream, Bean ... 'twas just yesterday, no?
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Bean

USA

Posted - January 10 2006 :  12:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richie, maybe it wasn't. It did seem so real when I woke up.

Good hearing from you. Hope the new Year brings us all happiness and what we are looking for.
btw Carla has been trying to get in touch with you;
her email is;

Caysold@aol.com

I have her address and phone # but don't want to post it here, email me if you want it and I'll send it to you.

Your friend and Bean, forever...Frank

caysold
Still A Babe

Posted - January 10 2006 :  12:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I thought about something from the past when you wrote about driving around with the gang. Does anyone remember when a bunch of us drove out to Long beach- I think- in my parent's big green station wagon with about a dozen of us in the car. what I remember most was the very loud conversation Eddie Russel and I had. He was a trip for sure- I think he was sitting in the extra seat that faced the oncoming car- what a show those folks must have had!

Those were some very fun and special times. Nice to have pleasant memories.
All for now. have to get back to teaching!

Ciao!
Carla

Bean

USA

Posted - January 11 2006 :  01:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla..
Don't remember that particular one. Was I in the car for that ride?

But I remember some other pretty stange nights and occurances !!!

Bean

Edited by - Bean on January 11 2006 01:24:26 AM

caysold
Still A Babe

Posted - January 11 2006 :  2:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Hi. You are asking too much of my memory for exactly who was with us, but since you usually were chances are good you were in the car. This summer I went out to Cold Spring Harbor and I passed by Muttontown- oh my god- do you remember when we used to take rides there at night and it was so creepy. I remember one time that we were laughing like crazy because a house had a driveway with a regular stop light at the end of it. How about our trips to airport to watch the planes take off- those were some trips!

Ciao.

Carla

Bean

USA

Posted - January 11 2006 :  4:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla those trips I remember through the drug induced haze!!! Didn't I get us in trouble at the airport once for trying to steal a lightbulb or light fixture???

Andrea bought me a t shirt that says on it " Here Comes Trouble " still true some 35 years later!

Your Bean Always, Frank

caysold
Still A Babe

Posted - January 11 2006 :  7:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you probably did get us into trouble :) but that was always part of your charm

Guess what, I got an email from Lillian Russel today- nice surprise. She has passed along my email to Terry & Eddie. Would be great to hear from them.

I never heard back from Foch, which is fine because I can appreciate the awkward factor.

All for now. I have to redo my worksheet for Thursday. I had a late meeting with my boss(ended 5:30-ugh)and she made suggestions for Thursday's lesson that I need to incorporate- thank goodness this my last probationary observation

Take care,
Carla

Bean

USA

Posted - January 12 2006 :  01:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla...
Lillian is a really sweet person. We have been keeping in contact for a few years now. She and Mike were at Docs party 2 years ago with Eddie and Teri. It was a blast seeing them.

After I gave Lillian your email address she told me she was going to pass your address off to Eddie and Teri because she said you were instrumental in them getting together. I didn't know that.

So how long have you been at your position. It soundslike from what you said you've not been there too long? Just wondering...

I'll email you my toll free # here at work so you can give me a call one night or morning and we can talk. Richie you too, email me and I'll send you my # and you can call me here free if ever you want or need to talk...Lillian has called me here a few times already.

CIAO guys...Your Bean at your service.

caysold
Still A Babe

Posted - January 12 2006 :  2:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Hi. Well I survived today's final observation- very glad it is over and went very well. I am a change of career person, so I have only been teaching 5 yrs. I began my career in NYC public schools for 2yrs and then was lucky enough to score job up here and you have a 3 yr probationary period until you are granted tenure. After tenure you get a substantial raise and as you continue taking credits you move up the ladder in salary. When I finish my administration degreee I will be at the Masters + 60 level which puts me close to the max - + 90 is the next.

I decided to get this degree because I wanted to give myself options as I get older because teaching is really a young peron's job. especially in Science where so much of what I do is hands- on experiments which involves a ton of prep & set up plus buying my own materials- I spend a fortune of my own $ to do activities plus to spoil the kids with goodies

All for now.
Send me your # and other contact info. My cell plan has free weekends- so that always helps.

Take care,
Carla

Bean

USA

Posted - January 13 2006 :  01:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla...Impressive credentials.
Glad your observation went OK.

Science was never one of my nest subjects. Although I liked it a lot I was one of those dangerous students. I just had to try everything evn after be warned don't do it ! I think between Science and Chemistry I caused the evacuation of the classroom on several ocassions!

Andrea thought about teaching after she graduated from Brown. My niece is a teacher but she loves little kids so she stay with the young kids kindergarden/1st grade.

Looking forward to taling to you on the phone one day...

Frank

Edited by - Bean on January 13 2006 01:08:19 AM

caysold
Still A Babe

Posted - January 13 2006 :  2:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Thanks for the kind words and I am very glad the final one is over!

If you were a student of mine we would probably have many chats about safety

This was a Friday the 13th to remember. I haven't written so many referrals in one day for a vey long time. The kids were off the wall all this week and especially today.

All for now. I need to chill out with some classic Yo- Yo-Ma

Have a great weekend!

Carla

Bean

USA

Posted - January 13 2006 :  7:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carla...
I Chill out with the RAMONES,STOOGES, MC5, NIRVANNA or listen to SIRIUS radio the underground garage channel while drinking a Chimey Ale brewed by The Belgium Trappist Monks. You have got to try this beer it's excellent!!!!
There in lies the problem!

Have agood weekend...speak to you again soon.

elena
Into the 60's

Posted - January 13 2006 :  8:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit elena's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remember the car rides when Foch was the driver and how we would scream at him to pay attention to the road? He would always turn around to talk with people in the back seat. He never got us into an accident, though. Amazing.

I am dying laughing right now just thinking about it!

Bean

USA

Posted - January 14 2006 :  10:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES I DO ELENA IT WAS LIKE FOCH HAD THIS AMAZING FORCE FIELD AROUND HIS CAR IT'S NO WONDER WE ARE ALL STILL ALIVE TO TALK ABOUT IT. I CAN RMEMEMBER ONE DRIVE WITH NEIL, I THINK IT WAS RICHIE, BUTCH, ME, POSSIBLY GARY LANVEY? BUT WE WERE DRIVING AROUND WITH NEIL AND I KNEW OF A FATERNITY GREASER PARTY GOING ON SO I HAD NEIL DO A DRIVEBY AND I STUCK MY BIG MOUTH OUT THE WINDOW AS WE DROVE BY AN YELLED OUT A STREAM OF OBSCENITIES AND WE DROVE OFF. ABOUT 10 MINUTES LATER WE STOPPED AT A TRAFFIC LIGHT AT THE CORNER OF HENDRICKSON AND CORNONA AVE NEAR WHERE WHEELER AVE SCHOOL IS AND A CAR COMES UP BEHIND US ABOUT 5 OR 6 GUYS WEILDING BASEBALL BATS GET OUT ( JIMMY PIZZOLO, TOM PERETTI, BILL MARCIANO ) SOUNDS LIKE THE MOB, RIGHT?SO I SCREAM AT NEIL TO GET THE FCUK OUT OF HERE AND WE PROCEEDED TO LEAD THEM ON A CHASE THROUGH THE STREETS OF VALLEY STREAM HITTING SPEEDS WELL OVER 80 AND 90 MPH AND THIS IS WITH FOCH DRIVING WHO IS SCAREY ENOUGH AT 10MPH. I REMEMBER GOING THROUGH A RED LIGHT NEAR MERRICK RD AND CENTRAL AVE WLL OVER 60 MPH AND NEVER STOPPING! WE WERE REALLY SICK MOTHERFCUKERS WEREN"T WE! but boy did we have fun!

The Bean has spoken
anyone else if they have any recollection of this event please add to it!

Edited by - Bean on January 14 2006 10:44:43 AM

caysold
Still A Babe

Posted - January 15 2006 :  12:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I remember the Foch driving experience as well. Like Elena said: it is truly miraculous that we are all still here to tell the tales

I remember Eddie Makowski's VW also- they always packed so many into that car. Someone mentioned Gary LAnvy- I kept seeing his face but couldn't remember his name- thanks for bringing it back to me. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Later,
CArla

Bean

USA

Posted - January 16 2006 :  05:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla,
Gary is like some big lighting guy, he did the lights for Paula Abdul when she was a big star back in the 90's and I think he did them for Barry Manillow too and may still be working for him for all I know???
Email Mike Stankowitz and Karen(Zang) at

stankoart@aol.com

they keep in touch somewhat with Gary plus they would love to hear from you. Put in your subject line who you are though so they don't delete it as spam.

caysold
Still A Babe

Posted - January 16 2006 :  4:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FRank,
Hi. Thanks for the info on Gary- cool line of work he's in. I will try to contact Mike & KAren.

TAke care,
Carla

doc
Into the 60's

Posted - January 16 2006 :  5:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Send doc an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

Maybe it wasn't a dream, Bean ... 'twas just yesterday, no?

'twas just yesterday...... but there is no way I would want to go back. 35+ years has filtered much of the adolescent unpleasantness and ugliness. I prefer to keep the distilled memories and have great laughs when we get together.

but.... if I could go back knowing what I know now............. aww crap. Nevermind. I have forgotten most of what I learned anyway.

and a big Hello Carla!

Edited by - doc on January 16 2006 5:09:38 PM

Bean

USA

Posted - January 17 2006 :  02:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not me Doc, I'd go back in a heart beat. Nothing is as fun or as exciting now as it was back then...everything has been so commercialized, homogenized, and watered down...or as Dylan says
" I use to Care but things have changed "

caysold
Still A Babe

Posted - January 17 2006 :  10:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone

I don't want to go back in time and visit the 70s, but it is fun to recall the crazy stuff we all did!

I really don't know how we all survived and have lived to tell- especially with all the Foch rides we took! Whenever I try to explain to my students how different everything was during those times they have no way to grasp anything I talk about. When I play some classic CDs- Pink Floyd for example- they just look at me and ask why would I listen to a record with church bells on it :)

I feel bad for the kids coming up today because they have lost their innocence way too young and so many have such a bleak outlook on life.

I keep hearing Graham Nash singing - " we can change the world" I still hope so.

Carla

Bean

USA

Posted - January 18 2006 :  01:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla,
You mean bleak like mine?
This is the age of machinery,
A mechanical nightmare,
The wonderful world of technology,
Napalm, hydrogen bombs, biological warfare,

This is the twentieth century,
But too much aggravation
It's the age of insanity,
What has become of the green pleasant fields of Jerusalem.

Ain't got no ambition, I'm just disillusioned
I'm a twentieth century man but I don't wanna be here.
My mama said she can't understand me
She can't see my motivation
Just give me some security,
I'm a paranoid schizoid product of the twentieth century.

You keep all your smart modern writers
Give me William Shakespeare
You keep all your smart modern painters
I'll take Rembrandt, Titian, Da Vinci and Gainsborough,

Girl we gotta get out of here
We gotta find a solution
I'm a twentieth century man but I don't want to die here.

I was born in a welfare state
Ruled by bureaucracy
Controlled by civil servants
And people dressed in grey
Got no privacy, got no liberty
Cos the twentieth century people
Took it all away from me.

Don't wanna get myself shot down
By some trigger happy policeman,
Gotta keep a hold on my sanity
I'm a twentieth century man but I don't wanna die here.

My mama says she can't understand me
She can't see my motivation
Ain't got no security,
I'm a twentieth century man but I don't wanna be here.

This is the twentieth century
But too much aggravation
This is the edge of insanity
I'm a twentieth century man but I don't wanna be here. <Ray Davies>

Edited by - Bean on January 18 2006 01:46:15 AM

caysold
Still A Babe

Posted - January 18 2006 :  4:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Give yourself some credit for making it through the crazy times and enjoy what you have. Remember what John said:
"...life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans..."

What a trip today was- we had a full on black out the whole day. So no testing happened and we had 1200 kids between gym, cafeteria & auditorium- talk about a captive audience!

We may not even have power for tomorrow- so I am hoping for a black out day and no babysitting

later,
Carla

Bean

USA

Posted - January 19 2006 :  02:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla..
I should know better since I quote than John line myself to other people. Ray Davies has a similar one in " LIfe Goes On "

Life goes on.
It happens ev'ry day.
So appreciate what you got
Before it's taken away.
Life will hit you
When you're unprepared,
So be grateful and take all
That you can while you're there.
Get that frown off your head,
'Cause you're a long time dead.
Life goes on and on and on.
Life goes on and on and on.

No use runnin' 'round lookin' scared,
Life could get you when you're unaware.
One day it's gonna come, so you better accept it.
Life will hit you when you least expect it.
And one day when you are gone,
You know that life will still go on.
But no one'll care if you've been good, bad, right or wrong.
Life will still go on.

That weather yesterday morning made my commute home take 4 hours!!!
They had the upper level of the GWB close so the Cross Bronx was stopped, so I headed up the Sprain to the Tappanzee only to find that completely closed in both directions, I sat on 278 about 3 miles from the TZB for over 2 hours not moving until they opened the Bridge...

Hope you got your power back Carla....

doc
Into the 60's

Posted - January 19 2006 :  9:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Send doc an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caysold

I decided to get this degree because I wanted to give myself options as I get older because teaching is really a young peron's job.

Carla,

Where are you going for your admin certification? I got mine through the College of New Rochelle up near you. They have inexpensive extention programs. You might want to check it out if you still have a long way to go. (I use mine as a shelf liner. It works very nicely!)

administrativly yours,
doc

caysold
Still A Babe

Posted - January 19 2006 :  11:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc,

Wow, I could have the degree mass produced and wallpaper my office

I am in my last 6 months of the program- I am also taking it through CNR and the New Rochelle school district- half price and they hold the classes at our high school- so good deal all around.

I didn't know that you are in education- tell me more!

We had day 1 of State ELA testing today and at least we had lights

I showed MArch of the Penguins to the kids for the afternoon block and it surprised me how much they liked it. Usually all they want to see is violence or Dumb & DUmber type movies.

All for now.

My best,
CArla
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: saw Elena in London last week with Ray Davies Topic Next Topic: SMASHING THE GUITAR OVER KATHYS HEAD PICTURE  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Google Search

Search for: