Out By The Corner Mailbox
Out By The Corner Mailbox
4/19/2024 8:27:32 AM
Events | Active Polls | Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads | Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend Out On The Corner!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Net IPGate Include
 All Forums
 The Old Neighborhood
 Reminisces
 Head Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Going to California! Topic Next Topic: 3R Microfilm and the Valbrook Diner&Jeff Rubenstei  

Cottonmouth
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - March 16 2003 :  11:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys remember Doris' Mom's head shop on Rockaway Ave? I can still remeber the smell of incense and the creaking wooden floor to this day! Very happy memories of that place. I spent a fortune on incense and Day-Glo paint!! What was her name?

"...sorry, have to go now, it's time to give Mother her sponge bath!"

doc
Into the 60's

Posted - March 16 2003 :  11:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Send doc an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cottonmouth

You guys remember Doris' Mom's head shop on Rockaway Ave? I can still remeber the smell of incense and the creaking wooden floor to this day! Very happy memories of that place. I spent a fortune on incense and Day-Glo paint!! What was her name?

Her name is Jenny. Still alive and kicking in Richmond VA. The shop was considered a head shop "Somethin' Different" but sold no forbidden paraphernalia as did similarly named shops.
She sold only clothing, posters, incense, and such harmless things. Cindy Lauper was a regular in the store. She and her sister (who used to go out with Clark) were there almost every day until she left for a commune up in Vt.
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Cottonmouth
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - March 16 2003 :  11:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Piece of trivia about Cindy Lauper! Was she a Valley Stream native? If so, lets get her on this site!

"...sorry, have to go now, it's time to give Mother her sponge bath!"

Artangus
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - March 16 2003 :  5:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Artangus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That was a great place. That store was a place where I could go and feel good about life..I had some of my best times of my life in that store with Jenny. Your also right Doc you couldn't get a pipe or rolling paper in that store! But if I wanted some I could get it from Clark! The Cindi Lauper thing is neat! Doris' Mom was a great friend growing up! You speak with her Doc tell her I send my Love!

Live Free Or Die!

moonhaze9
Still A Babe

Posted - March 16 2003 :  5:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'll second that Arthur! Jenny had a lovely way of always making you feel welcome and cared about. I loved when she would start singing her Barbara Streisand numbers. I remember her singing to Dixie, and then I think Judy? Jenny also had some of her own artwork in Day Glo; didn't she??
Right next to me is a beautiful little brass incense burner that Jenny had in the window and I finally purchased.Glad I still have it... Remember painting the window??

Sometimes I think, perhaps it wasn't so easy for Doris... Having all her friends also be friends with her mother. I'm probably wrong again though...
Hope it wasn't so hard for you Doris!!
Sorry if I wasn't so helpful.

peace

Bean
Still Hangin' At The Mailbox

USA

Posted - March 16 2003 :  9:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have great memories of that store too...and Doris and her Mom saved me from myself one day when I had to be dragged from the creek at the green ( btw way I forgot who got me over three? ) after a drinking binge in which I tried to jump the creek on a bicycle from one side to the other and landed in the creek covered in mud ( ruining my Tommy Libner Boots ! ), and was hauled back to Rockaway Ave and up to where Doris's Mom lived above the store to get cleaned up and sober...I think I vomited on the way up the stairs making a mess as usual...,
I think Karen Zang and Joanne Scoma know more of the details of that day....speaking of which I spent this past Saturday afternoon talking with Karen and Michael at their house and we are trying to work at a reunuion party of some sort for this summer at their house...any ideas or comments on this? -
Frank

btw I ran in to Cyndi Lauper backstage at a Kinks New Years Eve show in 1980 and she knew me before I recognized her, I use to see her and her band Blue Angel all the time on Long Island..with the Bonnie Parker Band.

zangstanko
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - March 30 2003 :  10:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Scoma and I were still in Holy Name, before we met Doris and the rest of you in Memorial, we to Sumptin' Diffrunt and bought love beads. I went home, put them on and meditated to "Within You Without You." It was around the time Baby Judy was an infant that we became friends with Doris and hung out there all the time. I loved (and still love) Jenny, and loved the fact that she named her children so their initials spelled words (DEW, COW, VOW...) Remember George, the horny dachshund, and Sheila, the other one that came later? (I never was really sure of their relationship.) I love Wiekert trivia! Remember the party in the backyard of the store? And yes, Frank, I vividly remember dragging you in a total state of incoherence from the Green to Doris. However, you were actually calling your Tommy Lieber boots "Dougherty Boots with Hair" (as Jamie's didn't have fringe).

Karen Zang

Bean

USA

Posted - March 31 2003 :  12:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen - I remember those brown suede boots with fringes well...bought at Flag Brothers in Green Acres, I still get pissed to this day thinking about ruining them. BTW thanks for dragging me over to Doris's Mom and cleaning me up. I think that was one of many times you had to do that for me. I love you Karen! ( you too Michael ! )
Frank

" and you got to have friends " ...Buzzy Linhart

ginny
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - April 03 2003 :  9:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all - this is jenny's 5th kid, AKA dixie. mom was thrilled when she was sent a copy of the post, it touched all of us that people remembered. it brought back memories for us too. so many people i personally remember: karen, joanne, big arthur, nick, and alot more faces i cant put names too. you would remember me, the skinny pre-teen with light brown hair known for wearing 'paper dresses' all summer. our bassethounds george and shelia have been gone over 20 years now, but we have another bassethound named rufus. well just wanted to tell everyone we are all alive and kicking and mom says hugs and kisses to all. i can and will rely any and all messages to her if anyone wishes to tell her anything [mom does not get online] im sure she'd love to hear more from the old crowd who made the shop a wonderful place for her and everyone else. take care all.
ginny AKA dixie

Bean

USA

Posted - April 04 2003 :  03:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ginny glad to hear that you and your mom are doing well. I remember your Mom well..I'm not so sure I hope she remembers me though. I was a tough act to follow !, and still am.

Frank aka Bean
Some people say I haven't changed a bit, I beg to differ, I got worse!

zangstanko
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - April 04 2003 :  7:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll always be Dixie to me, Virginia O. Wiekert... I will always remember you so gracefully skinny and carefree, emanating a summery laziness - hey, that Southern thing is so appropriate!

With a Whole Lotta Love to Jenny...

Karen Zang

Bean

USA

Posted - April 04 2003 :  9:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AHHHH...THE SUMMER OF LOVE DAYS thanks for those memories Karen!
" ID GO BACK IF I COULD ONLY FIND A WAY " ...RAY DAVIES
MAKES ME WANT TO GO PLAY A YOUNG RASCALS OR MOMMAS AND THE PAPPAS RECORD RIGHT NOW,
IT"S A BEAUTIFUL MORNING
GROOVIN"
MONDAY MONDAY
WORDS OF LOVE ( OR MAMA DON'T CHOKE ON THAT HAM SANDWICH )
CALIFORNIA DREAMING
DAY DREAM BELIEVER, PLEASANT VALLEY SUNDAY
HOW DID DAVEY AND THE MONKEES SLIP IN THERE....IT ALL TAKES ME BACK TO A TIME WHEN LIFE WAS BEAUTUFUL ALL THE TIME...
PENNEY LANE THE BARBER SHAVES ANOTHER CUSTOMER
AND I'LL BE HAPPY TO SEE THOSE MEN WITH THEIR LONG WHITE COATS,
THEY're COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY HA HA HO HO HE HE...

FRANKIE THE X1V and his Mangey Mutt ( Lou now there's a band name )

Edited by - Bean on April 04 2003 9:23:59 PM
  Previous Topic: Going to California! Topic Next Topic: 3R Microfilm and the Valbrook Diner&Jeff Rubenstei  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Google Search

Search for: