Out By The Corner Mailbox
Out By The Corner Mailbox
5/17/2024 4:36:07 AM
Events | Active Polls | Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads | Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend Out On The Corner!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Net IPGate Include
 All Forums
 The Old Neighborhood
 Reminisces
 Nathans, Long Beach, Rockway Playland,ect
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Old School VS Central !!! Topic Next Topic: Finger/Gibbous Party  

Bean
Still Hangin' At The Mailbox

USA

Posted - April 03 2003 :  02:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any good tales from hanging out at Nathans in Oceanside, cruising Long Beach Road, The Bars & Clubs, picking up hitchhikers, going to Rockway Playland, ect...
I can remember one of if not my first date with Debbie Rifkin ( younger sister to my friend Betty ) we went to Nathans in Oceanside and while in the arcade room playing pinball I picked Debbie up and sat her on top of the game next to where i was playing and she crashed through the glass on the pinball machine. Needless to say we didn't stay in there too long that night...instead we just went out to the parking lot for some primal animalistic raw sex!

and then there was the time at Rockway PLayland where a bunch of us went down there in Skinny Vinnies Yellow Dodge Ram Van, there must have been 10 of us piled in the back...and Vince ended up winning the choice prize on the ring toss game, you know the one you have about a 1 in a million chance of winning well he gets it on the choice prize with his first toss and walks off with the biggest stuffed animal in the park and we had to fit that back in the van with us...

I also think this was the same trip that I cohersed Karen ( Zang ) to go on the old wooden roller coaster with me, I'm not sure if it was just the two of us, Alice Salm or Joanne may have sat in the smae car with us too but all I can remember for sure was that I got the worse of it, Karen was scared ****less on this thing and clawed me to death to the point of drawing blood out of me. When I got off the ride I looked like I went a few rounds with a wild cat and my ears who were use to loud music eevn took a beating from Karen's screaming and anyone who knows Karen knows she could be louder than and FTW show !!!

I can remember another time at the Long Beach boardwalk rides going on the Salt and Pepper shaker ride and being really drunk, I'm pretty sure I was with Joanne Scoma, anyway I ended up puking on this ride when it was up at the top upside down so vomit was flying everywhere both inside the ride as well as outside down on to the people waiting on line and those just walking on the boardwalk..it was an ugly scene.
...I know Richie and Doc amnong others on here should have their share of stories too, probably ones that include me that I can't remember. That's what really scares me ! - Krankie Frankie Bean

Edited by - Bean on April 03 2003 02:23:34 AM

elena
Into the 60's

Posted - April 03 2003 :  12:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit elena's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, Krank-Head, I loved Nathans - the foot long hot dogs and the delicious sweet buttery corn on the cob. I remember one time there with Jerry and a bunch of other people, who I cannot remember, I think Karen and Arthur were there, and Jerry tried the raw oysters, and I remember the look of disgust on his face when he tried one.
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Bean

USA

Posted - April 03 2003 :  1:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elena...foot long hot dogs " so tender you could cut them with a plastic knife " was the slogan they use to use, I can remember the big sign hanging up in there saying that...and raw oysters and clams...ummmmmmm! Loved them to death and still do to this day, more so the clams...poor Jerry he didn't know what the power of the raw oysters were back then,..it's no wonder I'm always so goddamn horny all the time !
Krankie Horny Bean

ElenaR
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - April 03 2003 :  10:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

i loved the Pizza in Green Acres, when it was an open mall.What was the name? I got a alot of memories from Long Beach. The one that sticks out the most is when we cut school and got on that funky train to the beach. Some of us jumped off the boardwalk, and I crushed 4 1/2 vertabrae. I just layed on the sand and looked up at my friends and THEY YELLED AT ME TO GET UP! I think I fell on some guy and busted him arm. I believe Doc was there-guess we were 14 or 15. Do you remember Doc? My back hurts at times BUT I have great posture!!
elenaR

"Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans"
j.lennon

Bean

USA

Posted - April 04 2003 :  03:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elena which Pizza place are you talking about ? I can't remember one but I know there was one. Where was it in the mall ?
As for Long Beach and the Boardwalk, I remember some of the Tuesday night tequilla parties that got a little out of hand, camp fires on the Beach...and I do remember a few cut out days and going there as well but as usual I probably was too blasted to remember any of the details...>

Frank
Usually Under the Boardwalk

" Life goes on it happens everyday
so appreciate what you've got before it's taken away " ...Ray Davies

Edited by - Bean on April 04 2003 03:57:01 AM

doc
Into the 60's

Posted - April 04 2003 :  3:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Send doc an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElenaR

i loved the Pizza in Green Acres, when it was an open mall.What was the name?Doc was there-guess we were 14 or 15. Do you remember Doc? My back hurts at times BUT I have great posture!!
elenaR

California Pizza.

No, I wasn't there. It was early summer 1967. Maureen DeRosa told me and Gerry Reddan later that day. We didn't believe her. I still think it was just a ploy for attention and never really happened.

Edited by - doc on April 04 2003 4:07:05 PM

Bean

USA

Posted - April 04 2003 :  10:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc, where in the mall was California Pizza? What was it next to? or was it one of those places not connected to the mall by the kosher Delie between the mall and where the drive in theatre was, opposite what use to be Gimbles? Bean

doc
Into the 60's

Posted - April 05 2003 :  12:32:26 AM  Show Profile  Send doc an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bean

Doc, where in the mall was California Pizza? What was it next to? or was it one of those places not connected to the mall by the kosher Delie between the mall and where the drive in theatre was, opposite what use to be Gimbles? Bean

Main section of the mall on the north parking lot side. Not in the center.

richfed
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - April 05 2003 :  07:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I loved the food at Nathan's! The hotdogs, the corn on the cob, the fries ... hmmmm-hmmm!!!

I remember once - at least - and this may have been the night in Vinny's van, or, were we in LOLA? - we were tripping our brains out!!! Nathan's on acid! We almost got in a brawl with some others, I can't remember the circumstances, but we ended up hightailing it outta there right quick - I think!

Bean

USA

Posted - April 05 2003 :  09:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey were you guys having fun without me, or was I the cause the comotion as usual with my BIG MOUTH ! Bean

Edited by - Bean on April 05 2003 09:41:33 AM

Bean

USA

Posted - April 05 2003 :  6:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richie, remember the IHOP on Long Beach Road that had the all you can eat pancakes day, I can remember going there with you and others a few times and watching you woof down 15 or 16 pancakes...
Bean

" cause smoking and triping is all that you do " and then we got the munchies...funny story elena..I didn't need any acid to be scared by the Jack in' the Box Clown !

A Kinks Food for thought song, always reminded me of us eating especially your Richie !

I'll have some clam chowder, followed by beef steak on rye
Pumpkin pie, whipped cream and coffee,
I wanna green salad on the side,
Don't forget the french fries,
Pizza pie, garlic and anchovie.
I keep burning up calories as fast as I keep putting them down,
Eat food, put it in my mouth,
Chew it up, swallow it down,
I'll have two eggs, over light, home made apple pie
Cole slaw as a side order.
I gotta stay fit, stay alive, eat food to sustain a non-stop high-grade performer.
The pace is continual, sure keeps running me down
Don't you know that you gotta eat food,
Don't you know that you gotta refuel.
I'm a Maximum Consumption, super-grade performer.
High powered machine,
Go steady on my clutch, go easy on the hills
And you'll get a lot of mileage out of me.
I'm so easy to drive, and I'm an excellent ride,
Excessive living sure keeps running me down
You've got to learn to use the Maximum Juice
That's how you get the maximum use.
Life keeps using me, keeps on abusing me, mentally and physically.
I gotta stay fit, stay alive, need fuel inside, eat food to survive
Maximum Consumption sure keeps running me down
Don't you know that you gotta eat food
Don't you know that it's good for you.
I'm a Maximum Consumption,
Non-stop machine
Total automation perpetual motion. ...Ray Davies

Edited by - Bean on April 05 2003 6:48:09 PM

richfed
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - April 06 2003 :  08:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I sure do, Bean, I sure do!!!

Originally posted on the Mohican Board:

A most unusual day ... for me, anyway:

Saturday, December 21, 2002

I was alone. That, unto itself, is unusual for me. All day to myself.

My turn had come to sit with my little [very], nearly 11 week old daughter, Sophia ... hospitalized since birth. This'd be in Asheville, a 45, or so, minute ride west of here. The night before, I dreamed of pancakes - really, I did! - and so, I decided to have a pre-Hospital breakfast at ...

IHOP ... once known simply as The International House of Pancakes. It had been a very long time since I had sat down for a stack of pancakes at a place of this name. Maybe since the Hussy Bus days of 1974. Though I eagerly awaited the surge of of reminisces I surely would be overtaken by, it soon became apparent that I must've missed something during that name-change phase. I sat down, in somewhat familiar surroundings, and ordered a plate of those famous - and delicious - pancakes that had so many times before heard the formulation of great plans, dreams, and desires, along with some link sausage & coffee. I sat. And I anticipated the taste that I had for so long not tasted. I was absolutely certain that biting into those pancakes would bring to life many adventures of years ago right there on the table at "IHOPs." I poured the syrup onto the mound before me. Things had certainly changed, as I had to put my damn glasses on to read the names of the syrups! I released my mind, allowing for the memories to spew forth and with great excitement chomped down ... nothing. Nothing happened at all. There was no great reawakening. No familiar taste sensation, even. Why, I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't changed the recipe for these pancakes along with the name of the establishment. Nothing special. Just pancakes in a drafty restaurant - crowded, too, on a Saturday morning. Jeez Louise ... even the coffee carafes were of a different color ... oh well. The memories are still there.

On to my next stop ... little Sophia.

But wait, pulling out of IHOPs, there before me was the Beaucatcher Cinema ... and on the marquee, along with 7 or 8 other flicks, was one Gangs of New York - released just the day before. On the spur of the moment, I decided I was going to see that picture - TODAY! I pulled in to check the show-times. 3:50 was the most convenient for me. I would come back ...

Memorial Mission Hospital: Compared to the bustle at IHOPs - and the usual commotion here - the parking lot was still. I pulled in, parked, and trucked on over to the 6th floor Neonatal unit- my heart pounding with excitement and anticipation, as it does every time I go to see my special daughter.

There she was, in her now familiar little "Giraffe" incubator in the corner. Ah Sophia, how I love you. And I told her that over & over & over again - all day long. She looked good. Her bruises & scabs had cleared remarkably; her skin looked smooth & soft. Color was so much better than it had been, pre-surgery. She had been breathing room air for several days, with no assistance at all, but this day, she was back on C-pap - a brace-like looking contraption that fits over her nose & supplies needed oxygen. She still breathes on her own, this just allows her to labor less. A semi-rough breathing day had convinced the staff to allow her body to focus more on growing new tissue, and less on breathing. Thus the change. That was ok. I could still see her mouth ... something you can't do when the respirator is on. And, she was back on mother's milk - tolerating it well. Early on, in my visit, she was mostly sleeping. I chatted with the nurses a bit, looked my baby over thoroughly - several times [her surgical scar well healed; her arms & legs looking fuller and more robust; still a bit bloated in the belly, but oh so much better than it had been] - and then began to read a book I had brought along to pass the time, King Philip's War ... The History & Legacy of America's Forgotten Conflict, by Eric B. Schultz & Michael J. Tougias. It wasn't that it was bad, actually, it seemed quite good, but I just couldn't read it. I kept looking up at Sophia ... sleeping ... each "look" turning into minutes. I made it all the way to page 24, eventually, and then Sophia decided to awaken. Oh man! Her eyes open, she now had a twinkle. Gone was that weak & forlorn look of 2 weeks ago. She was bright-eyed & you could tell she could actually see a bit. I watched in amazement at her "blowing bubbles," smiling [those little reflex-type smiles little babies do], and looking all around her. She looked so beautiful. I was overwhelmed. These were the most uplifting hours I had experienced in ... well, maybe ever! I don't know ... but it was shear joy for me. I couldn't look away. I touched her, she grabbed my finger. I played "shadows" with her, as she tried to follow my shape ... it was great. The minutes turned into hours, and then it was time to leave, which I did so most reluctantly. But, I left feeling oh-so-good. For the first time I believed, I mean really believed, that this little girl was coming home with me one day.

I left the hospital with a weird mixture of joy and sadness ... and I kept thinking of one of the nurses - who only on occasion has watched over Sophia - telling me that "she has the most beautiful eyes."

The Beaucatcher: I grabbed a quick bite to eat & drove over to the theater where Gangs of New York was playing. It's a good thing I allowed extra time, for the traffic was horrendous!!!! A 15 minute drive took me over an hour, and I took my seat as the previews were showing. So, I sat there for 2 and a half hours - or however long that movie lasted - in the dark of a half-filled theater watching this somewhat grotesque display of violence, human darkness, & decadence - wondering what the heck I was watching! Daniel Day-Lewis, I should say, was absolutely superb. The accolades are well-deserved and I believe he will win, and deservedly so, an Oscar. But the film was, well ... then, the final shots ... a little graveyard with the New York City skyline in the distance. The shots faded into one another, showing the passing of time, and ended with a shot that showed the Twin Towers. The movie suddenly made sense, and as the tears trickled down my face, I realized I was going to have to reassess my thoughts of the previous 2 and a half hours. I'll do that in another thread at another time.

Time to go home ...

The Drive: 45 minutes of quiet bliss as I reflected on my day ... it was quite an emotional one for me. To help me out, the sky was incredibly clear, stars aglow everywhere ... and the moon ... a nearly full, big & bright moon ... lingering low just above the Blue Ridge Mountains ... oh man!

It was a most unusual day ... for me, anyway.

Oh man, those PANCAKES!!! Such memories! Do you remember Aunt Jemimahs - I think it was called - up at the Green Acres Mall? We used to go there all the time & pig out. A pancake place ... There was a waitress there - Chris, was her name - some of us - me, at least - had a crush on. She had a biker boyfried or hubby or something ... we even went to her house once! Do you remember???

I love PANCAKES ... still!

The best pancakes ever? 1972 ... Klatskanie, Oregon ... Doof & I were in the midst of hitch-hiking around the country. We went into a cornfield & got stoned, then went into this little place in town where we ordered pancakes ... I mean these suckers were decilious. We raved about them so much that the little old lady making them gave us freebies - all we could eat - she was so flattered!!! Remember that Doof? Oh Doooooooooooof! Where are you?

Rich

What a long, strange trip it's been!

Bean

USA

Posted - April 06 2003 :  10:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richie wish I was there for that 1972 Pancake adventure with you and Doof, that's the stuff drams & memories are made from...
As for Aunt Jemima's in Green Acres, was that the place we all went into one night and caused a big comotion, made a mess,ate tons of food and then tried to leave without paying the bill but they caught Marc ( Facci ) on the way out so we had to go back to get him and when we went in there they were holding him hostage and he was crying.( he was just a kid at the time ) I think we took Ronnie, Marc and some of their friends with us like Cliffy and Joey...

Richie you have to tell the story of you, Doof, and me when we camped out in the National Forest in North Carolina on our trip after the car broke down ( which is another story in itself on the skyline drive ) I still think that was the hardest I ever laughed in my life!
anyway the morning after the bears in the forest when we sat on the side of the highway for hours trying to hitch a ride and finally got a ride and got dropped off at this small town diner....OK from here you tell the story...

btw nice Saturday Sophia story...glad things are going so good with her...
your bean...Frank

Edited by - Bean on April 06 2003 10:46:19 AM

richfed
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - April 06 2003 :  4:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's the place!!! What a complete & utter wreck we made! Then, after calling all attention to ourselves, we tried to sneak out! And, almost suceeded!!! Too funny ...

I'll recount what I can of the car-breakdown stuff [it was Virginia, actually, Bean - What, are you getting old?!?] ... Gotta get worked up first ... give me a spell!

Rich

What a long, strange trip it's been!

Bean

USA

Posted - April 06 2003 :  8:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Richie, dimentia is setting in, right about the car breakdown being in Virginia...my famous last words " either we just went in to a ditch or the wheel fell off "..then we hitched in to Warrington, Va, while the car was being repaired and to smoke some doobbies on the court house and police stations steps little did we know that's where we were ! Oh brother..then we got the bright idea to go see Easy Rider in a little hic movie theatre when we turned out to be the main course as the movie ended...remember that? ! More stories for you to tell, but you gotta tell the diner and the camping out ones too, to this day I won't forget bears can climb tree's or how to put up a tent rather than just crawl in to it parallel to the ground !
Bean

Edited by - Bean on April 06 2003 8:33:16 PM

Bean

USA

Posted - March 02 2004 :  02:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richie-
Remember the all you can eat pancakes night at the IHOP in Oceanside, I think I remember you eating 14 of them! or was that at Courtney's house in North Carolina that you did that?

Bean

Previous Topic: The Old School VS Central !!! Topic Next Topic: Finger/Gibbous Party  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Google Search

Search for: