Posted by Elaine on October 08, 1997 at 06:00:24:
In Reply to: Re: let's talk about historical accuracy posted by Mike Zeares on October 08, 1997 at 05:15:51:
: : I bet that you people can't find five historical discrepencies within this movie.If you can,email me within the next 2 days.
: Off the top of my head:
: 1. Col. Munro did not have daughters.
: 2. The 35th was not slaughtered; only the militia was attacked.
: 3. Col. Munro did not die during the "massacre."
: 4. The Hurons had been wiped out as a nation by this time (by the Ottowa, I think. I'll have to look this one up.)
: 5. Umm, um,... dang it! Someone help me out!
I've come to help you out!
1. General Webb was headquartered at Fort Edward during the Fort William Henry siege & had been at Fort WH
as late as August 2.
2. Indians would not have rushed the British lines as shown during the courier diversion scene.
3. The role of the Huron in the novel and film was historically the Abenaki. (Mike, the Huron remained a strong French ally throughout the French & Indian War, as did the Ottawa. Their enemy was the Iroquois.)
4. It was the Massachusetts provincials who bore the brunt of the attack. They were in the rear of the column, the 35th headed it.
5. The Mohicans were not wiped out!
...how about some more?
Post a Followup