The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/17/2024 4:57:02 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The GREAT MOHICAN GATHERINGS
 The Next Great Advent'cha! Gathering X - 2012
 4-MONTH Gathering Update & Checklist!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Do We Get Merit Badges? Topic Next Topic: One Last Push For Russell Means ...  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 19 2004 :  05:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address
Well, I'll be!! Getting real close now - time to get in gear ladies & gentlemen! Just 4 months from today, the hordes will descend on the poor little, unsuspecting village of Chimney Rock Park!

Let's get right to it:

DAY ONE: As noted elsewhere, the cost of CRP has risen $1.50 from what we had expected. Plus, we moved the start time up one-half hour to 8:30AM. Would have made it even earlier, but the Park doesn't open till then! Damn! So, we're at the Pavilion from 8:30 - 10:30 AM, with breakfast at 8:45. Reason: To allow just a little more time for the Elk Hunt/Tracking the War Party expedition, for those departing the Rock in the afternoon. Every minute helps!!

DAY TWO: Linville Gorge is sort of taken care of from the get-go. I do have to call Louise's, though - come to think of it! And, it's looking like I might not have to push Eric H. around in a wheelchair after all!!

DAY THREE: BIltmore is all set. Joanne Shenandoah's flight is booked. Spirits on the River is excited & ready. Based on the sign-up flow so far, we may have to sell some tickets to the general public, as we did for the Bill Miller show in 2002, to cover the associated costs of this event. We'll see! Meanwhile, have you E-mailed Lady Ann with your Spirits on the River dinner selection yet?!? If you'll be eating there - and I highly recommend that you do - take care of that little detail. No money required till dinner-time!

DAY FOUR: Will be sending out a deposit to USA Raft very soon for our Nolichucky expedition. A bit of bad news on this front - at least to those who rode the river in '02 - Our favorite guides, Tom & Wayne, are no more. Wayne is in Colorado or Wyoming - somewhere out West. Though I set up this event with Tom back in the fall, apparently, he's no longer with the company. BUT, USA Raft is trying hard to get him special for us ... so ... we'll see. In any event, a fun day looms!

DAY FIVE: Cherokee - not sure, but as far as I know, it's status quo. Steph Also, this is the day Russell & Pearl Means will arrive at CR Village, and, as you know, their flights are now all taken care of. The March 1 deadline for the Coins For Chingachgook project still applies. Though the flights are booked, we still need some revenue to cover their accommodations and the like. Don't let up now!

DAY SIX: Dupont, of course - like Linville - is always ready. Cordell's Days of Infamy at the Triple Falls Pavilion! Movie theater deposit is going out next week with the Nolichucky's. All systems go. Russell will be there. What a blast!

DAY SEVEN: The Games are a go, though I'm not too sure on the developing details of the Pig Roast and performers. Lady Ann Gadget Girl Add your two-cents worth. I do know the prizes are ready & we hope to post some pics soon. Don't forget, raffles & Ariel's Auction will be held here, as well, so contact Cherie and Jayne with your contributions so that they know what to expect.

All in all, we're in a very good position right now. All's well at the Geneva, we've got a workable group signed-up [though we'd like some more!], and the money with which to pay for it all is beginning to roll on in. Thank you! Most recent sign-up list is here.

Eric & Sharon are working on the T-shirts, and I believe that the plan is to offer several designs & have you vote on them to see which "model" makes the final cut.

One other bit of news - Michael Williams - LOTM Dissertation - does plan to be with us and will address the group. The w
report to moderator

Lady Ann
Pioneer

USA

May 20 2002

Posted - February 19 2004 :  09:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As Rich said, the Games are a go! The String Beings are still signed and on board for a kick-up-your-heels concert during the pig pullin' and yes, we have some dandy prizes for our competitions. As soon as I can round up a relative owning a digital camera to photograph them, I'll post pictures, but in the meantime, here are descriptions: 1st prizes for both the shooting contest and the hawk throw: silver flasks engraved with beautiful Celtic designs, just the thing for carrying around a discreet nip of the brandy that ALSO goes to these first place winners! 1st prizes for both mens' and womens' footraces: hand-beaded, fringed woolen shooting pouches, a nice addition to the reenactor's wardrobe and a fashion statement for those who don't do the 18th century thing...oh yes, and there is that brandy as well! 2nd place winners for all contests: A cast-stone replica of an ancient Irish Celtic cross - a friend of mine makes these from castings of the original artifacts. He has rights to cast a number of important stone carvings in Ireland, England, Scotland and France, so you too will be able to bring a bit of history into your own home! 3rd place winners for all contests: A Welsh gentleman and his wife who recently retired to Florida make these items - handcarved wooden spoons. The spoon handles are carved into elaborate knotwork designs and end with traditional Celtic symbols like the heart, the thistle or a curled feather. The spoons make a lovely decoration hanging on a wall...but more than that, they are perfectly functional and quite appropriate for 18th century reenacting. So, all you Mohicanites out there, load up your flintlocks, limber up your throwin' arms and lace up those Nike moccasins...there are some fine treasures to be had!

As for the Games eats, no change that I know of. We are still planning a massive pig and chicken barbecue with all the down home Southern trimmings. I am working on some 18th century era desserts to bring along, but those of you who would like to contribute a family favorite to share (brownies, the deep dark double fudge chocolate ones come to MY mind)are encouraged to do so! Diana, any updates on the eats?
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 19 2004 :  12:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WOW! Is all I can say!

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 19 2004 :  6:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lady Ann,

You always add so much flavor when you stop by to visit. Sounds like you have been hard at work. So looking forward to seeing you again and these games sound like a lot of fun...I don't think I'll be participating in the footrace this time, though...gives me migraines.

Theresa

DEVANHIE
Pathfinder

magua
USA

April 29 2003

Posted - February 19 2004 :  9:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Send DEVANHIE a Yahoo! Message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
IS THERE STILL ROOM FOR TWO AT THE MOVIE?
  Previous Topic: Do We Get Merit Badges? Topic Next Topic: One Last Push For Russell Means ...  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07