The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/28/2024 4:43:00 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Weekly Update ... !
 Mohican Press For Sale?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Re-doing Things Topic Next Topic: Some New Additions To The Site!
Page: of 4

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 03 2004 :  08:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmmm ...

... a real possibility, but, at this moment [and things change real quickly for me these days], just that ... a possibility.

Keep it in mind, though. It could happen, to the right buyer - or group of buyers - for the right price, it could be had. Think it over, just in case.

The price? Make an offer.

What's [would be] included:
  • The domain name, mohicanpress.com - currently paid for through March '05
  • All rights to all material found on this web site - thousands of images, hundreds of pages, dozens of sound clips, videos, and downloads
  • All rights to my book, On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans, and any copies left in stock [more can be printed, on demand]
  • A state-of-the-art ASP message board - updated yesterday to the most recent version
  • A state-of-the-art shopping cart - installed, but never implemented

With visitation nearing 4000 unique visitors per day ... the place is jammed. If you have a bit more business sense than I have, perhaps you can do better financially than we did.

Currently, the web site is housed on a server in Ohio at $80 per month. It would be cheaper if you paid for a year at a time. It has pretty much unlimited bandwidth, 1 GB of space, streams media, has an advanced MS-SQL Server database that holds this board, good tech support, supports Front Page & ASP. If a deal were to be made, you would, of course, have the freedom to move it anywhere you like.

Anyway, a possibility ...

Perhaps, a better avenue is for a cooperative effort. Recently, Kay & Diana S. have made major financial contributions that have helped to keep us afloat. This was genuinely appreciated by me, and should be so by you ... now that you know of it. The two of them did this independently and without any fanfare.

Of course, this need not be necessary. There are ways to support the endeavor without a straight-up donation. See this thread, for example: Looking For the LOTM Movie Poster?.

Anyway, with my personal situation, finances are tighter than ever for me, and things really are on a month-to-month basis. I don't usually know from one day to the next which way I am headed ...

Don't forget:

Mohican Press Bookstore
Computer Simulations
BEST BET: On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans

From the most recent purchaser - or one of them - I received the book today...I love it and look forward to exploring the trail...thank you so much...take care....

The Web Site thrives in just about every way. It would be a shame to go belly up!

So, anyway ... a very rough past couple of years. This Thursday, what marked the beginning of that stretch, the birth of my little Sophia RosaMaria, turns two years old! She is a remarkable being ... full of life & joy. She's still tiny, but getting stronger, still on the bald side, but hair is growing, still fairly non-verbal, but manages to communicate. She is a doll, and runs to me every time I see her - and won't leave my side. I miss her terribly. Maybe I can manage a photo this week.

Sophia's First Birthday!
The Sophia Story

Happy Trails, folks!

Rich
Mohican Press
report to moderator

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2004 :  1:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As a member of this site, I can only relate to you the problems that I encountered when I became Prez of the Wes Studi site.

Speaking as someone who "bought" a site from the original owner, PLEASE be very careful before you sell. If this site is given over to the wrong person or people, the whole thing could come crashing down. For people who manage sites such as these, it must be a labor of love! If it is done for any other reason, it is being done for the wrong motive.

It is very hard to take a site over from an original owner. Having experienced that "managment change" for myself when I took over the Wes Studi forum, I can say from experience that people get used to having a certain person in charge. They know that person, trust that person, and know how that person is going to behave. When a new person steps in, there will be those who resent it. Sound silly doesn't it? After all, we are talking about a web site here, not a change in our nation's government, but it's true.

Know that if you sell, there is a chance that personalities will clash, or maybe there will be a vying for power under the new regime. There may be a movement to slander and oust the new leader as I experienced. No one should have to endure what I was put through.

Unless the new leader can see beyond the "junk" that one must put up with to the ultimate purpose of the group, he/she won't last.

Speaking again from experience, the original owner must be prepared to publicly support the new owner at all times. Also, know that once the site is given over, it cannot be taken back. The original owner must be prepared to let the new owner or owners run things their own way, without jumping in should they not like what the "newbies" are doing. It is very hard to run a site when the former owner has second thoughts about quitting, OR (and most importantly) sits back to let the new owner struggle alone.

All that being said, I understand why you are contemplating selling. How many years have been serving LOTM fans anyway? You've done an awesome job here Rich. Yours is a model of what a web site should be. Your shoes would be pretty hard, if not impossible, to fill.

Blessings,
Carter
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2004 :  5:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,
I sure hope that you don't ever sell out because I can't see anybody running this site except for you!!! I mean, YOU are MohicanPress.
We do need to figure out a way for more money to be generated for the site. Maybe if starting at the beginning of the year, we can ask for membership dues? We could do something special for the members. If we could get 100 people to donate $20.00, then that will be $2000.00 for the site and you won't have to worry so much about the finances and you will stop thinking about selling out!!! Come on gang, do y'all have any ideas for making money for the site?
Let's put our heads together and help Rich out!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Ithiliana
Colonial Settler

Ithiliana
USA

November 07 2002

Posted - October 03 2004 :  9:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Ithiliana an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
dont sell out, rich! what are we gonna do without you...?
although i probably shouldnt talk, considering im not the one with financial problems...
maybe if you offer to but up several advertisement banners on your site for some random companies that would help finance it....?
or membership dues would work too... via paypal or something...
or... we could... umm... sell cookies! in the shape of... duncan! yea, thatll work.... =P
anywayz, i really hope you figure something out... id hate to see you go rich...
-ithi

Le Poisson Rouge Seudois du Chaos
Conspiracy of One

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2004 :  10:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I would like to say a very grateful and heartfelt "Thank You" to both Kay (Kaylynn44) and Diana S. (Gadget Girl) for their kind generosity. That was truly a good thing you both did and I personally thank you.

It would, indeed, be so totally different without Rich at the helm, and I sincerely hope it won't come to that. But I understand his position completely. I have, at times throughout my life, been so financially strapped that I was literally living from paycheck to paycheck and wondering how in the hell I was going to manage to pay all my bills. It is not a comfortable position to be in, and I am so grateful to God that I am in a better situation now. But only those who have been in the position can fully understand how stressful and horrible it is. I feel for Rich.

I would really hate to see it come to "Membership Dues." This could prevent some people, especially the younger set who are still in high school, from participating. I don't like the idea of something mandatory.

I would rather see something totally voluntary, as far as donations. Or... yes... I hate them as we all do... but I would even put up with ad banners, if they would bring in enough revenue to help out. I don't know how that all works.

Is there some way we could do an auction... over the ether... similar to Arial's? Those who want to participate can offer items for auction... bids taken in a thread on the boards... payment sent to a central location/person... the person who offers the item mails it to the winner... ?????????? Sort of like Ebay. Would something like this work?? Better ideas??????

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2004 :  11:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is there some way we could do an auction... over the ether... similar to Arial's? Those who want to participate can offer items for auction... bids taken in a thread on the boards... payment sent to a central location/person... the person who offers the item mails it to the winner... ?????????? Sort of like Ebay. Would something like this work?? Better ideas??????

WW,
Those are some great ideas!!! I really hate the thought of membership dues too, but I couldn't think of anything else at the moment. I just don't think that it is right that the full financial burden falls on Rich when we all enjoy this site so much, and whatever we do, it should definitely be voluntary. We don't want anyone to feel like they have to help out, but it sure would be nice if the ones that can afford to help out, would help out.

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2004 :  11:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
or... we could... umm... sell cookies! in the shape of... duncan! yea, thatll work.... =P

Ithi,
Sounds like a winning fundraiser if I ever heard one. Just as long as none of them are burnt. Sorry, that was terrible!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2004 :  07:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I join in the heartfelt thank-yous to Kay and Diana S. for their donations, and in the belief that - however we decide to manage it -- keeping this website up and running should be a shared burden, not one that weighs solely or even primarily on Rich. Maybe for now, while a plan evolves, we can focus on that $80 per month and send donations accordingly -- buy a week, two weeks, a whole month! (And as for the cookies, how about burnt and unburnt versions, buyer's choice?!)

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2004 :  07:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will donate $5.00 each time someone from this site buys something from the Studigroup store. And how 'bout a free Studigroup cookbook for each $20.00 donation?

Blessings,
Carter

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2004 :  08:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kaylynn44

Sounds like a winning fundraiser if I ever heard one. Just as long as none of them are burnt. Sorry, that was terrible!

On the contrary, Kay... that was a good one! Well done!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - October 04 2004 :  10:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
could extend it a bit past cookies,which don't ship so well...
an acw board some years back did an auction to offset operating costa, items donated ranged from small $5 items up to museum quality military coats worth $250 or so... was a smashing sucess... could work here.. i could do a couple micmac pipes or a war club if it comes that far... spooked by stuff like ebay or pay-pal...

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2004 :  12:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bookworm

I join in the heartfelt thank-yous to Kay and Diana S. for their donations, and in the belief that - however we decide to manage it -- keeping this website up and running should be a shared burden, not one that weighs solely or even primarily on Rich. Maybe for now, while a plan evolves, we can focus on that $80 per month and send donations accordingly -- buy a week, two weeks, a whole month! (And as for the cookies, how about burnt and unburnt versions, buyer's choice?!)

Yes, thank you Kay and Diana!
Also, thanks should go to Carter for her offer!

We unfortunately are in the financial position WW is talking about, so membership dues would be difficult. I of course will try to help if I can. Hmm, I think the auction idea is good. Sponsors and banners are good too - I can put up with those annoying things for the good of the board!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - October 04 2004 :  2:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As someone who only just recently (like, literally, last month...) finally has crawled out of an 18-month financial chasm, I can certainly relate to what you're going through, Rich. Kudos over and over again to Diana S. and Kay for their financial help, and to others who have made offers. I would personally be more than willing to make a monthly or annual contribution or participate in any other fund-raising efforts folks may suggest, to the best of my (albeit, very meager...) ability...
Christina

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - October 04 2004 :  3:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich.....Mohicanland has allowed Malcolm and Dr. Uncle Mark, and all the rest of the Chronicles characters to tell their stories. I know that they would be willing to make a yearly donation so that you can continue this website. Many Flags of the Allemaengel

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2004 :  8:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am really impressed with how everybody is coming together for Rich. Rich, it just shows how much we love you, so no more selling the site talk. Okay?
However we decide to raise the money, count me in. I will make a donation or do the auction. An auction gives me a reason to go on a shopping spree. That's always alot of fun!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2004 :  9:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kaylynn44

I am really impressed with how everybody is coming together for Rich. Rich, it just shows how much we love you, so no more selling the site talk. Okay?
However we decide to raise the money, count me in. I will make a donation or do the auction. An auction gives me a reason to go on a shopping spree. That's always alot of fun!!!

Love,
Kay

I concur, we are definitely behind you, Rich! I'm sure everyone will help however they can. We have a very special place here. Unlike any website/board that I've seen.

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 04 2004 :  9:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Carter

As a member of this site, I can only relate to you the problems that I encountered when I became Prez of the Wes Studi site....

Wise advice there, Carter.

Rich---I hope that collectively, we can find a way to keep this site going. I know that selling Mohicanpress would not be an easy thing for you to do, but I understand why you are thinking about it. And in the end, you have to consider your life, your family, and your circomestances first and foremost. But, from what I've seen in the posts here, if you decide to continue, you won't have to go it alone!

Take care....

Nancy

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 05 2004 :  10:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, Ricardo, but Federici=Mohicanland. No other equation is
possible, so I'm afraid you're stuck with us. Besides, what other
webmaster would I wear my pink bunny outfit in front of???
Nope! Nope! Nope!

My personal financial situation is, to put it mildly, not the most
stable at the moment, but I would be happy to kick in a few bucks
every month to help out. Also, I would be happy to set up free
examinations at the Mohicanland Clinic For The Terminally Weird.
Bend over and cough please!!

Doc M

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 05 2004 :  9:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well Rich, you heard the doctor. You know that you have to follow doctor's orders. Mohicanland really wouldn't be the same without you here as our Sachem!!!
Okay, back to the financial part of the website..... It costs $80.00 a month for this website to stay up and running, so if we could get 8 dedicated folks that would chip in $10.00 a month or 16 dear sweet folks, then that would only be $5.00 a month. Can we get a list of people that will donate each month or it can even be annually? I would rather just send a larger check once a year because I might forget one month and then I would feel bad!!! So, I will start off the list. We don't have to set an exact amount until we get all of the names on the list. Okay, I'm going to start it off. Here goes:

1. Kay Dennis

Y'all don't leave me on this list all by myself. I want to see alot more names on it. Hey, if we can get 80 names, that will only be $12.00 a year that we would have to donate. Doesn't that sound good??? Come on gang, we are doing this for Rich and the future of Mohicanland!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2004 :  07:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
2. Mary Graybill

Way to go, Kay!

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 06 2004 :  08:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
3. Diane Bunch

Great idea, Kay - count me in!

I cannot imagine a world without Mohicanland, nor can I imagine Mohicanland without Rich!

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2004 :  12:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you Mary and Diane!!!
Now, that we have started the list, we need some more names. I know that y'all want to, so let's see who will be #4.

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end

www.cloudsbooks.com

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2004 :  12:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
4. Stephanie the Smurf!
Count me in! I can do $10 a month.

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2004 :  3:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm in! --- $10 a month.

Nancy M.

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - October 06 2004 :  4:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with everyone that you, Rich, should remain the owner of the Mohicanboard and it's a hell of a nice thing for those who are chipping in to keep this place up. It just comes to show how much everyone loves and enjoys this place.

~Wade

www.alamosentry.com

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 06 2004 :  4:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For now, the best I can do is a couple of bucks a month, but
every little bit helps, right? So count me in.

Doc M
Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Re-doing Things Topic Next Topic: Some New Additions To The Site!  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.62 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07