The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/7/2024 10:13:34 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 LOTM 1971 BBC miniseries
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Blockbuster Topic Next Topic: Le Colonel Chabert  

Pen
Colonial Settler

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 03 2003

Posted - January 26 2007 :  4:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen the 1971 BBC LOTM miniseries? tvshowsondvd.com says it's due out on February 13th.

Pen
report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 26 2007 :  6:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
'tis true!

In fact, the company contacted me the other day about promoting it & offering up a little contest for free DVD copies [also of an animated version of LOTM] ... more on that soon ...

To answer your question, Pen, I saw parts of it long, long ago. I remember it being quite good [of course, it might appear different to me now that the 1992 version in embedded in my mind!]. One of the most oft-asked questions we've received in the 10 years this web site has been up has been, "Do you know where I can find the Hallmark Television version of The Last of the Mohicans?" Very popular!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - January 26 2007 :  10:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I haven't heard of the BBC LOTM, but my guess is it'd be pretty good. BBC's novels-turned-films are often very good, and quite close to the originals. The Pride and Prejudice miniseries with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle was superb (but then again I'm a huge Jane Austen fan). I, Claudius was also quite good. I believe it came out sometime in the early-to-mid 70's too.

Not to hijack the topic, but has anybody heard of this miniseries called The Tudors? It stars our favorite BBQ'ed Brit as Buckingham. Due out in the US on Showtime in April. Once again, I'll be missing it due to no cable, but I thought someone else might be interested. I'd certainly watch it if I could.

Sorry for geting off track. There's a Hallmark version of LOTM too? Who knew?

And who said free DVD's?

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2007 :  12:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich, I had totally forgotten about the BBC LOTM till I read your post...I did see quite a few parts of it way back when on PBS & I remember also that it was pretty good, even though the miniseries seemed to last for months on end!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2007 :  09:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This must be the series I watched on the telly when I was a child. I recall that I really liked it and I even have, to this day, LOTM Viewmaster slides from the series.

IG

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 27 2007 :  10:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I meant Masterpiece Theater ... sorry!!!

This production is very faithful to the novel, and as such is less of a chick flick ... MUCH!

A promotional blurb:

Based on James Fenimore Cooper's classic, this BBC miniseries aired during the first season of the long-running series MASTERPIECE THEATRE. During the French and Indian War, Hawkeye is determined to bring a British commander's daughters to Fort William Henry. Beset by attacks from enemy Native American tribes, Hawkeye's group must battle to protect the lives of the young women. This epic story spans eight episodes and features the level of quality that MASTERPIECE THEATRE fans have come to expect.

And, yes, FREE DVDs - 10 of them ... 5 BBC/5 Animated ...

I'll have the contest details up no later than tomorrow ...

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 27 2007 :  2:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

I meant Masterpiece Theater ... sorry!!!

This production is very faithful to the novel, and as such is less of a chick flick ... MUCH!

A promotional blurb:

Based on James Fenimore Cooper's classic, this BBC miniseries aired during the first season of the long-running series MASTERPIECE THEATRE. During the French and Indian War, Hawkeye is determined to bring a British commander's daughters to Fort William Henry. Beset by attacks from enemy Native American tribes, Hawkeye's group must battle to protect the lives of the young women. This epic story spans eight episodes and features the level of quality that MASTERPIECE THEATRE fans have come to expect.

And, yes, FREE DVDs - 10 of them ... 5 BBC/5 Animated ...

I'll have the contest details up no later than tomorrow ...

Free... free is a good word.

Put together with LOTM, well, can't get much better than that!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Kyfrontiersman
Colonial Militia

Boonesborough photo

November 18 2004

Posted - January 27 2007 :  7:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyfrontiersman's Homepage  Send Kyfrontiersman an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That came out not long after Nancy & I were married & I always thought it was one of the better productions ever made. But I'd sure never knock the '92 version with Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe. My good friend Mark Baker is the one who taught Daniel Day-Lewis how to reload and fire on a dead run. He said he was amazed at the actor's natural abilities. I've to enter this contest, fur sure. (LOL)
Mike
http://rumpinglivinghistoryproductions.com/
"Kentucke, situated on the fertile banks of the great Ohio,
rising from obscurity to shine with splendor, equal to any
other of the stars of the American hemisphere." ...... John Filson

http://rumpingproductions.org/
"Kentucke, situated on the fertile banks of the great Ohio, rising
from obscurity to shine with splendor, equal to any other of the
stars of the American hemisphere." ...... John Filson

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 28 2007 :  11:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Hanna-Barbera animated version

Is this the one where Fred Flintstone plays Hawkeye and Barney plays Uncas?

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - January 28 2007 :  3:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Clips from this version of LOTM can be seen here. IMO it hasn't aged well. But at least the main characters don't have modern American accents.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Dancer
Pioneer

Chieftain
USA

November 29 2006

Posted - January 28 2007 :  6:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmm the acting isn't as good as MM's version. And the Uncas and Hawkeye are nowhere near as attractive! Give me the chick flick anytime!

"I teach the dance...the passion is yours to find."

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - March 10 2007 :  12:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If anyone's interested in seeing the BBC "LOTM" miniseries, it's available on Netflix. I just added it to my queue. Just thought I'd mention it, since it may not be available at the rental stores.
  Previous Topic: Blockbuster Topic Next Topic: Le Colonel Chabert  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07