The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/23/2024 2:35:55 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 F&I Battles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Seeking contributors for my blog Frontier Battles Topic Next Topic: Hairstyles
Page: of 2

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 17 2005

Posted - April 22 2007 :  6:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nope, that about covers it. It's a line from a little French drinking song. You can almost imagine someone leaned back in a chair, feet propped up against the wall, and his head leaning against one of those huge wine barrels you see in old French and Dutch paintings. Instead of pouring a drink, he finds it easier to simply crack the tap a bit and let the wine drip into his mouth. It sort of defines the Gallic laziness expression. My kind of guy.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 23 2007 :  12:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Louisbourg...I've played the computer game "Birth of America" several times, my favorite scenario being the F&IW. It's extremely easy to win the war as the British (since the French get almost no reinforcements); in fact the Redcoats capture every single objective except one: Louisbourg. No matter how huge an army can be built there and no matter how much bombarding the Royal Navy does, whenever the British get around to assaulting the Fortress (as they eventually must), they get stomped by the French (so much for Gallic laziness). So could someone please explain to me what happened in real life?

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - April 23 2007 :  09:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The British had more men, more guns, more ships, more supplies, and all the time they needed. Once the batteries surrounding the city had been captured, it was only a matter of time until the fortress had to surrender. Massive assaults don't usually work. That plays into the plan of the defense (see Fort Carillon that same year). You only need to cut off the supplies, shell them constantly, and wait them out. It would have taken Abercombie about a week at Fort Carillon had he done this.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 23 2007 :  10:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting...perhaps a weak spot in the design of the game --OR-- a weak spot in my game playing!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 23 2007 :  10:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

Nope, that about covers it. It's a line from a little French drinking song. You can almost imagine someone leaned back in a chair, feet propped up against the wall, and his head leaning against one of those huge wine barrels you see in old French and Dutch paintings. Instead of pouring a drink, he finds it easier to simply crack the tap a bit and let the wine drip into his mouth. It sort of defines the Gallic laziness expression. My kind of guy.

Your kind of guy? I think you are the guy, Miss-yer Lay-Fran-say!

Oh yes... quite the picture...complete with "the woman on your knee." Yes, indeed. Methinks you like the wine cellar very much.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 23 2007 :  10:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
More likely "a woman on each knee!"

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - April 23 2007 :  1:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Your kind of guy? I think you are the guy, Miss-yer Lay-Fran-say!

Non! No time for that. We must spend all our time in the forests of New France protecting our land from the incursions of the evil British. Perhaps some day, when all of America is French . . . .

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 23 2007 :  2:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[WW leans toward those nearest her and holding her fan up to her face to prevent the Frenchman from hearing her words, she says...]

Ah! I see the Frenchman has changed his tune! In another conversation, did he not say that he greatly enjoys having tavern wenches sit upon his knees? Now, of a sudden, he insists that the French have no Latinate voluptousness or Gallic laziness and that Lay-Fran-say would rather fight than make love with their faces!

I daresay, I find this impossible to believe, do you not agree? And especially his demented idea that one day the Fran-say shall rule this part of the world. Hah! He does dream, does he not?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - April 23 2007 :  5:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Jesuit father tells us that in Ecclesiastes it says that there is a time for everything, so we must fore go our pleasures until Nouvelle France is safe. Then one day we will be able to resume our debauch . . er ... pleasures as we once did before l'Anglois maudit decided to steal our land.

Vive le Roi!!!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 24 2007 :  07:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Although the French lost - they sound like they had a good time doing it.

you can keep "The Change"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 24 2007 :  12:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And that, MG, is probably one of the main reasons why they lost!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - April 24 2007 :  2:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Better to be French and lose than to be British and win. If you are French and lose, you can always try again, but if you are British, you will always be British!

Hey, that could be a "Thought For The Day"!

Oh well, back to the tavern.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 24 2007 :  6:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Talk about "trying again" Fitz, - any thoughts on the upcoming French election?

you can keep "The Change"

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - April 24 2007 :  10:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nope. The French that interest me left France to start a new life in a distant colony and got precious little support from home. Since then they have managed to depose their kings four times, have gone through two emperors, and a number of republics. The best and bravest of them lie at Marengo, Austerlitz, Jena, Eylau, Borodino, Ligny, Quatre Bras, and Waterloo. "Le brave des brave" was stood up and shot by his own people. What is left is a mere shadow of the France of the Sun King and the Emperor. Perhaps it is well that Nouvelle France ended when it did. What would have happened to it 20 or so years later? Nothing good.

Trailstalker
Pathfinder

Chingachgook
USA

July 09 2007

Posted - July 14 2007 :  4:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd ahve to say Bradock's Defeat, along with Ticonderoga. To, Ticonderoga was a pivotal point. a good "What if.." if you will.

"We will find a way, or make one."
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Seeking contributors for my blog Frontier Battles Topic Next Topic: Hairstyles  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07