The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/5/2024 12:31:25 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The GREAT MOHICAN GATHERINGS
 Adorable Ariel's Auction Area
 Baby Dylan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Who wants to take this home? Topic Next Topic: Why we help Ariel........  

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 22 2007 :  8:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just opened up the new issue of Reader's Digest for the month of September and there is an interesting article about a little boy named Dylan who was born without eyes. I read through the story and was in tears by the time I finished. Here's the link for you to read the story: http://www.rd.com/content/birth-defects-surviving-without-eyes/
To have a baby born without eyes, would be heart-breaking. My heart goes out to the family and little Dylan. I think all the support that the mohican board has given to little Ariel is amazing and truly a kind gesture.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"
report to moderator

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2007 :  11:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What a sad story indeed. Poor little Dylan. Just not fair that these things can happen. Makes you wonder why God lets such things happen. The parents have a tough road ahead of them and they need to be very strong for their son. My heart goes out to them.

IG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2007 :  1:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You know, it's really not such a sad story. It is, of course, unfortunate that birth defects happen, but as birth defects go, this one isn't the worst. I am not trying to be callous; just realistic. This is a beautiful little boy, as the one doctor said. He will grow up to be a man who has every chance at having a completely normal life.

I work with blind people and I see the things they do and accomplish every day. I see them work past the challenges to attend college, work at jobs, raise families. There are so many things available these days to assist visually impaired and blind people, and technology is changing nearly daily. There are things that talk: computer software programs that will read everything on the screen and say it out loud (I hear these going in offices near mine every day!), talking watches and clocks, scales, talking microwave ovens, talking cell phones, and machines that will scan and read an entire book out loud.

For getting around in a visual world, there are electronic "guide" devices that will let the person know when there is something in their path. There are advances being made every day in the GPS field, making it possible for a blind person to get around without a sighted guide or a canine guide. There are talking traffic signals and talking street signs. No, they aren't available everywhere yet, but that is on the horizon! It is absolutely amazing!

Have any of you ever heard of Eric Weihenmeyer? He is the first and only totally blind person to stand at the peak of Mt. Everest. Google his name and read about this amazing man.

So, you see... it is not the worst thing that can happen to a person. This little boy is very lucky. He has parents who saw the need immediately to get their child to the right people for help. It is not easy to raise a blind child, but with the assistance of trained vision rehabilitation therapists, this little boy will grow up just fine!

www.avreus.org

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 23 2007 :  1:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I hope you are right WW but to us who have always had our vision it seems terrible. I could not imagine life without my sight and even with all the help out there for blind people, he would still be able to live a much better life with his eyesight.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 29 2007 :  09:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I read this about two or three nights ago and cried for the little fella'. And I couldn't agree more with you, WW. It is so sad that defects occur.

But then their stories should give us hope. They lack what we take for granted and they make their lives happen anyway. These people are very inspiring to me and I try to use them as examples of what it means to never give up.

I am actually teaching my children sign and they love it. Everyday we watch a tv show called "signing time" and then the rest of the day I make them practice what they learned.

I learned from an autistic friend when I was eight. Haven't used it much since then but do remember quite a bit so I thought why not improve it and teach my children too?

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 29 2007 :  10:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The only sign I know is the one I see used by drivers on the highway!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 29 2007 :  10:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LOL Unfortunately that one gets used too much but everyone knows that sign.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 29 2007 :  3:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LOL, Obi! You are a bad one, aren't you?

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
  Previous Topic: Who wants to take this home? Topic Next Topic: Why we help Ariel........  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.19 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07