The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/25/2024 7:57:04 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AGAINST ALL ODDS MESSAGE BOARD - Mohicans Version
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Washita Battlefield National Historic Site
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: June 25, 1876 Topic Next Topic: Best Books on Little Bighorn  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - November 25 2010 :  9:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just returned from a week's jaunt "Out West" from Fort Worth, Tex. through Fort Richardson at Jacksboro, Tex.; Ft. Sill at Lawton, Okla.; the Quartz Mountains north of Altus, Okla.; and finally the Cowboy Museum and Western Heritage Center in Oklahoma City. But the highlight was finally getting to walk the riverbottoms of the Washita River near Cheyenne, Okla., scene of what might be called George Custer's First Stand against masses of Native Americans, Nov. 27, 1868, when he led the as-yet-untried Seventh Cavalry against what he thought was a villiage of hostile Cheyennes.

I'd been here once before, back in the 80's when this was all private ranchland visable only from a state park overlook a MILE from the scene of the action. Now it is a small National Historic Site, complete with a fairly recently constructed visitor center which has only this summer installed a very fine exhibit on the battle and its importance. From there, one drives to the exact same overlook, but now a trail leads down to the floodplain where the villiage of the hapless "Peace Chief" Black Kettle once stood.

Image Insert:

71.24KB

Continuing north one comes to the unimpressive Washita River, so narrow that according to the story, Custer was able to leap his mount across from the taller north bank. It was in this general area that Black Kettle and his wife were shot from the single horse they attempted escape on, dying on or near the riverbank. Though the area has seen changes from agricultural use and the river's course is somewhat altered, it is still possible to easily understand the battle's action.

Image Insert:

73.11KB

This knoll served as Custer's command post during the short engagement; from here he could see all the significant action and recieve reports. Contrary to popular impression, when he was informed one of his detachments led by Capt. Meyers was killing women and children he immediately issued orders to cease and take captives instead. It was at this battle Custer first divided his forces to surround and attack a unsuspecting villiage; the relative success here may have established a precedent which would have fatal consequences in the future!

Image Insert:

75.5KB

Other sites along the trail included the bluff against which over 600 horses of the Cheyenne pony herd were slaughtered, mainly by shooting. Two hundred others were used as trophies or mounts to carry off the captive women and children. Not included in the park but easily identified is the bend in Sergeant Major Creek where Maj. Joel Elliot and approximately 18 troopers were slaughtered ( literally! ) when they ventured too far from the general fighting. When he recieved word from Capt. Benteen, in position along the ridge where the Visitor's Center now stands, that as many as several thousand hostiles were gathering from unseen camps further east along the Washita, Custer prudently withdrew the way he'd come back to the safety of Camp Supply. Custer's failure to rescue Elliot's group was to have disasterous consequences, driving a wedge between him and the Benteen Faction which probably played no small part in the outcome at Little Big Horn eight years later.
report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 26 2010 :  10:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Been there, James ... Back in 1987. Enjoyed your Fort Sill photos that you e-mailed to me. Was there on that same trip. Also, camped at the nearby wildlife refuge ... awesome place ... my boys came running back from the bathroom/shower house screaming about a buffalo standing there.

Let me see if I can fix these photos for you.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - November 26 2010 :  1:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,

You'd certainly still recognize the area, HOWEVER... In the southern part of Roger Mills County of which Cheyenne is the county seat, there is going up a HUGE "wind farm" featuring DOZENS of those impossibly large and UGLY wind turbines! Fortunately, none of that is visable from around Cheyenne or the battlefield.

If you care to use or post any of my other pictures I sent you here "onsite", please do so; I just didn't know exactly what to do with them, though these were pretty obvious.

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - December 05 2010 :  11:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would like to add that there is currently on the newsstands an issue of the history/wargaming magazine Armchair General( I found it at a regional chain here called Hastings ) with a very good article on the Washita battle that makes a strong connection and comparison between Custer's successful tactics here and similar-but-failed tactics at the Little Big Horn. Insufficent recon, underestimating enemy strength, division of an already outnumbered command, too loose command control, etc. played a part in both engagements; he just "got away with it" here!
  Previous Topic: June 25, 1876 Topic Next Topic: Best Books on Little Bighorn  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.17 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07