The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/15/2024 7:23:34 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 North and South, Book II
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: 20th Anniversary of LOTM at Chimney Rock Park Topic Next Topic: Michael Mann on LOTM -- 20 years later ...  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - May 30 2012 :  6:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WHY, you ask, THIS topic here, or at all?! I recently had the good fortune ( ? ) to find a used, CHEAP, but complete 5-disc DVD set of this turgid potboiler of a TV miniseries, parts I, II, and III. WHY, you ask, would I ( or ANYONE else, for that matter ) WANT a copy of such tripe? Because I worked on it too, of course - 2 weeks filming battle scenes on a ranch outside Natchez, Mississippi for "Book II", the Civil War . In all fairness to US, the reenactors, David Wolper or his lackluster minions chose to relegate most of our good work to so much background, so as to have maximum screen time for MORE sex, intrigue, backstabbing, etc., etc. a la' Dallas! Probably the ONLY reason to remember this release at ALL is because it made Patrick Swayze a legitimate star instead of merely a flash-in-the-pan.

But I digress - While wading through the muck ( which I hadn't seen since it was first aired in the spring of 1986 ), I was watching an extended sequence involving Swayze as wounded and captured Southern General Orry Main, Kirstie Alley as his abolitionist Northern sister-in-law nurse, and Olivia de Havilland ( ! ) as the hospital matron. But there was another actor, too, portraying a hospital steward ( Civil War equivalent of an enlisted medical corpsman ), with ever-so-slight a brogue; I nearly fell off the couch when he had a good close-up - it was Maurice Roeves, clean shaven, but with long "Elvis sideburns"! ( He got to be verbally abused by Kirstie and later knocked down by an escaping Swayze. )

This thing was filmed in 1985 at various locations around Charleston, S.C., and Natchez, and probably other locations as well. I was only involved in filming the "masters" for the little-used battle scenes, so got to actually see only a few of the principals or other actors, and hadn't realized he was in it. Small world!
report to moderator

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - June 02 2012 :  10:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
....Hey, wading through muck can still be FUN, though! I found that series(when I saw it years and years ago) a HOOT! Who was the "BAD" girl on that series(the brunette?) She was OUTRAGEOUS! Obviously still remember her performance after all these years--she STOLE every scene! And am I remembering right(?)--didn't they have some of the token Civil War film clips from frikkin' 1960-ish's "How The West Was Won"?(Gosh, I love that--now old--movie!). Well, if so, EVERYBODY back then used Civil War film clips from that movie!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - June 02 2012 :  3:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lane batot

....Who was the "BAD" girl on that series(the brunette?) She was OUTRAGEOUS! Obviously still remember her performance after all these years--she STOLE every scene! And am I remembering right(?)--didn't they have some of the token Civil War film clips from frikkin' 1960-ish's "How The West Was Won"?

According to the cast list, the "bad girl" ( Orry Main's brunette sister Ashton, continuing the "good/blonde - bad/brunette" stereotype ) was Terri Garber; I have NO idea what else she might've done, but you're certainly right about her scene-stealing in this! And I've read that it was actually How the West Was Won that used "stock footage" from the earlier Elizabeth Taylor/Montgomery Clift Raintree County.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 20th Anniversary of LOTM at Chimney Rock Park Topic Next Topic: Michael Mann on LOTM -- 20 years later ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.22 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07