The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/20/2024 4:05:27 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Hawkeye and Cora: "The Kiss"!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: LOTM at the Olympics!!! Topic Next Topic: 20th Anniversary of LOTM at Chimney Rock Park
Page: of 3

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2003 :  08:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
There has been much discussion about what may have happened between Hawkeye and Cora in "The Kiss" scene in the Fort, that we viewers did not see. I thought it would be interesting to take a Valentine's Day Poll on this subject. Please feel free to give your comments and reasons below, but Please! Keep it clean and tasteful!

Choices:

What you saw is what you got...only The Kiss.
Much, much more kissing, but not all the way.
Woo-hoo!
None of the above, it was all our imaginations!

report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 15 2003 :  12:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gosh... I didn't mean to scare everyone so badly that they wouldn't comment... Sorry! Perhaps if I break the ice?

My vote was for "Much, Much more, but not all the way."

Yes, there was plenty of action... enough to loosen hair and further rumple already rumpled clothing. In my high-school days, we called it "Heavy Necking." It was an activity that was used a lot at the old Drive-in Movie theater. (Did you really think we went there to watch a double feature on the screen??) However, I don't think that Hawkeye and Cora were in a place that was hidden or private enough to proceed any further... much as they wanted to. (And they obviously wanted to!) So I feel that they stopped before it went "all the way."

There, now. Come one... if I can do it, you can do it!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 15 2003 :  1:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Wilderness Woman.

I voted that they went all the way. Cora looked so enraptured and I love the way Hawkeye holds her. The sky is so red behind them--pure passion.

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - February 15 2003 :  1:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You just can't go from all that passion to that serene with "much, much more kissing." I voted that they went all the way.

Pen
Colonial Settler

February 03 2003

Posted - February 15 2003 :  2:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Wilderness Woman,

I agree with you there, that Hawkeye and Cora didn't go all the way, at least not at that point. Cora had to adjust to a great many things and she did an admirable job of it.

However, at the time of 'The Kiss', I think there was too much going on around them (a major battle, not to mention the presence of Col. Munro) for them to have gone any further. I mean, if Munro had come upon them, he would have blown a gasket (or maybe a musket )!

I can imagine that they did so at some other time...say, after the news of Munro's death.

Pen

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 15 2003 :  5:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Wilderness Woman,

I'm another who voted that Hawkeye & Cora went "all the way." Granted, there was a lot going on around them, but Hawkeye was a very resourceful sort & I feel certain that they managed to find a place to consumate their love!

Yes, Cora was a well-bred lady when she came to the wilderness, and she even entertained Duncan's suggestion that friendship was "a reasonable basis for a man and a woman to be married" and that "all else may grow in time." And others in her own family - her father and cousin Eugene - had also told Cora "That's the way of it." But Cora's hesitancy and indecision to accept a marriage proposal based on friendship alone, hinted at the fact that she hoped and dreamed that maybe there was something more.

When Hawkeye & Cora kissed for the first time, you could see that it awakened something deep within Cora that she had never felt before. All hell was breaking loose around them but suddenly, their love and desire for each other overcame all else. As Cora looks into his eyes, she gives herself to Hawkeye without ever saying a word. Then, Cora closes her eyes and smiles and as she draws Hawkeye's head to her breast, you can see her relax as she surrenders to his touch, his kiss, and the passion of their new-found love. Later, as Cora rests in Hawkeye's arms, with the sky ablaze behind them, there is no mistaking the look of total contentment on her face.

WOW! [pant! pant!] I've just reviewed what I've written & I'm suddenly overcome with the urge to go watch "The Kiss" scene again - and then maybe go take a cold shower! Anyway, that's my two-cents' worth on "The Kiss"!

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

sidony
Pioneer

June 21 2002

Posted - February 15 2003 :  9:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wilderness Woman, I think they definitely went all the way. I had to delete my reason because I remembered that you said to keep it clean and tasteful!:)

Brenda
Pioneer

Wink
Canada

June 17 2002

Posted - February 16 2003 :  11:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted that they went all the way ... not only were they rumpled, but they looked exhausted!

“They say that you're never as wise as when you're a child. We'll never think that clearly again.”
From Arlington Road (1999)

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 17 2003 :  6:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I voted for "all the way". By this time in the story, I believe that Cora is so taken with him and he with her that any touch would probably send them both into a passion that was unstoppable. Besides, Hawkeye just doesn't strike me as a man that would leave anything unfinished!

Theresa

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 17 2003 :  7:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Hawkeye just doesn't strike me as a man that would leave anything unfinished!

Theresa, I really like that! I couldn't agree more!

Sunshine
Pathfinder

indian warrior 2
USA

July 26 2002

Posted - February 19 2003 :  12:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Sunshine a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very true, Hawkeye doesnt strike as the type to leave something unfinished. I loved that it was just a kiss. That was my first instinct. Than I remembered two things but alas my vote was already cast.

1. may sound rude but it is not mean that way. i simply think both critera of this phrase were in place at the time of the kiss. "Women need a reason to have woohoo, men need only a place". Cora certainly had reason. At that point in the movie she must have recoginzed in Hawkeye a kindered spirit. Remember the scene at the burial mound and their chat. Also for Hawkeye who had grown up on the frontier things were much less complicated than 'city life'. I think he too recognized in Cora his other half.

2. During the kiss it appears that Hawkeye lifts Cora up. Now I know there were alot of skirts and such but it is possible. Remember the look on her face when he lifts her up?

Hope i stand in the clean with this.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 20 2003 :  08:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My... Oh... My... !

I don't know about anyone else, but you certainly got my imagination going with that post, Sunshine!

Whew! Even we "Grandmas" have to go take a cold shower now and then!

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 20 2003 :  9:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with you, Sunshine, and feel that you expressed it very well. I have always thought that the moment when he lifts her up is the clue that they really made love.

I also like the beginning of that scene where Hawkeye seeks her out. He claims her.

Sunshine
Pathfinder

indian warrior 2
USA

July 26 2002

Posted - February 20 2003 :  11:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Sunshine a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Morgaine,

I totally agree with you. I have replayed the approach part of the kiss probably more than the kiss scene. To see a man with such confidence, so at ease in his own skin and one that is strong enough to go after what he wants. Tis a beautiful site.

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 21 2003 :  12:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have done the same thing--replaying the approach part of the scene. I just love watching him. He is so strong and focused.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 21 2003 :  06:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Man on a mission, so to speak. You KNOW from his facial expression and body language that he is seeking Cora. DD-L is an amazing actor and can say so much without uttering a word.

Theresa

Lurking Huron6352
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 05 2003 :  3:50:58 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would like to respond a bit late. I agree they went all the way, first because of the way they look afterwards, and her hair is completely down. Secondly, he didn't appear to be a character to leave things unfinished and also a point I didn't read up on was that at the falls he tells her after he says "they may take you up north" he says to her "submit." Had she still not known a man in such a sense she wouldn't know what he was talking about, and he wouldn't say such a thing. Julie

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - April 21 2003 :  5:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry to say but I definitely think it was woo hoo going on in there! You don't breath that hard from kissing and if you look close enough you can see him bring his hand out from under her skirt while she is up against the wall. They just looked a little too satisfied directly after to be just some kissing or even necking!

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - April 21 2003 :  6:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
me again...I hope my previous message didn't come out dirty! I just read it over again and I hope nobody found it offensive.

Lurking Huron6548
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - August 18 2003 :  5:01:43 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am responding YEARS too late, but I had to reply because I have another idea of what I think happened between Cora and Nathaniel. They definitely did more than just kiss. He lifts her up, she's sighing and losing control... cut... then the scene of her relaxing in his arms, eyes closed, yet he still looks watchful, holding her as she dozes. So here's my idea:
Nathaniel must've known the potential reprecussions for going all the way... making a baby for example. And taking a lady's virtue. I don't know if he would've jeapordized her in that way. I think he... uh... without being too explicit... kissed her. Catch my drift? Put her pleasure before his, doing something likely new to her, without taking a risk or compromising her. Very intimate, possibly even moreso than going all the way. I think it's all in the way that she's relaxed afterwards, and he is still vigilant and protective. They weren't shown lying together, just she back against him. Ooooh. This Lurking Huron needs a shower...

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - August 18 2003 :  5:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nah. He screwed her. It ain't easy, but it IS possible to do it standing up or holding the young lady up there as he was shown doing.
As for sensibilities.......he was raised by Mohican indians.....they had a lot more natural outlook on sex than stiff collared whites did.
He wouldn't have known or cared about such things. He was gentlemanly, but frontier MAN all the way.

As an aside, DDL being what? 6'4"? She musta got a nosebleed being hoisted THAT high on a frontier "petard".

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - August 19 2003 :  4:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Not one to mince words, are you, Bill?

I have to agree, the only thing lacking in that brief "after" scene was the cigarettes.

LH6548, if they made like the voluptuous French it appears to habve been a mutual soixante-neuf sort of thing--Natty looked pretty contented.

A long way from the literary character here,perhaps an indication that Mann never intended to go further with Hawkeye than this movie. It definitely ties him to this woman, and the only way to "honorably" free him would be to kill her off.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 19 2003 :  8:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Gasp!" she said fluttering her sandalwood fan even harder.

Tsk...tsk...tsk! What did I start?!? Dearie me!
Such ideas!
Such thoughts!
Such language!
Such visual images creeping into my brain!
Such... such...

Woo Hoo!!

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - September 24 2003 :  11:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In the Mann version I'm sure they knocked boots, in Coopers Leatherstocking Tales we get the impression that Hawkeye goes to the grave a virgin. Sex sells.

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - September 24 2003 :  11:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
knocked boots? That's a new one for me, and made me smile like the first time I heard the term horizontal polka!

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 25 2003 :  06:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Never heard it referred to as "knocked boots" either, Bill. Now, I wonder if it is anyway similar to "knocked my boots off"?

Theresa
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: LOTM at the Olympics!!! Topic Next Topic: 20th Anniversary of LOTM at Chimney Rock Park  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07