The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/25/2024 11:29:10 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Hawkeye and Cora: "The Kiss"!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: LOTM at the Olympics!!! Topic Next Topic: 20th Anniversary of LOTM at Chimney Rock Park
Page: of 3

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 25 2003 :  08:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's a new one on me, too. For that matter... so is the "horizontal polka."

Theresa, I have always heard that as "knock your socks off"!

My, my, my. The things you can learn in Mohicanland.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 25 2003 :  5:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, W.W., I do believe that in order for the socks to be knocked off, the boots have to go first. LOL!

Theresa

rydergrl
Colonial Settler

Pisces
USA

November 03 2003

Posted - November 03 2003 :  11:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay, in case you haven't noticed, I'm trying to play serious catch-up here. This is way late, but as for "the Kiss." I voted for more than a kiss. You have got to remember those kisses that leave you absolutely wonderfully breathless. If you have never experienced one, then you don't know what you're missing.

There's a man you admire (lust). Everytime you see him you melt, literally. One day, it happens, the right time the right place, you kiss. Mouths seek hungrily, tongues caress, hands roam. It happens. You don't ever want to let go and when you do, you are enthralled by the experience. Come on folks, it happens.

What you give of yourself is priceless.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 04 2003 :  09:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome, Rydergrl! It's nice to see some of these topics come to the front, again. Your opinions are welcome... even if they do disagree with mine! Just kidding!!

We've had a lot of fun with this topic, and several others you responded to. There are definitely different ideas amongst us. Looking forward to your continued participation.

WW

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - November 04 2003 :  1:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa

Never heard it referred to as "knocked boots" either, Bill. Now, I wonder if it is anyway similar to "knocked my boots off"?

In Hawkeye's case, wouldn't "knocking moccasins" be more appropriate?

But oh my yes, I always have believed that Hawkeye and Cora did the do in a huge and massive way that night. One of the best love scenes I've ever seen!!!
Christina

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

rydergrl
Colonial Settler

Pisces
USA

November 03 2003

Posted - November 05 2003 :  10:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Welcome, Rydergrl! It's nice to see some of these topics come to the front, again. Your opinions are welcome... even if they do disagree with mine! Just kidding!!

We've had a lot of fun with this topic, and several others you responded to. There are definitely different ideas amongst us. Looking forward to your continued participation.

WW

I'm sure I will not do this right, but in any event. I'm glad to have found this board. LOTM has got to be one of my favorite movies. I can not count the times I have watched it. My hubby refers to it as "that running man" movie. He says from the moment it comes on they are running.

What you give of yourself is priceless.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 06 2003 :  12:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He's right! One of the actors even mentioned that. I think it was Eric Schweig who said that making the movie was like running a marathon. I'll bet they were all in pretty good shape by the end of filming.

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - November 06 2003 :  4:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
After months have passed I have to agree with Bill R. Hawkeye was raised in the mohican way of life and did not understand or care for a lady's virtue. As for him being a gentleman I think that is not too true either. He had no problem raising his voice and getting in Cora's face at Cameron's burnt down cabin. I think basically he was a man without rules....he lived as he pleased and took what he pleased (ie...Cora's virtue)

April57
Lost in the Wilderness

Magua 2
Czech Republic

July 23 2002

Posted - November 16 2003 :  4:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Kiss has always been one of the most sensitive erotic scenes in a movie - I am sure also thanks to the wonderful music background ....
Marie

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - November 17 2003 :  7:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Kiss has always been one of the most sensitive erotic scenes in a movie - I am sure also thanks to the wonderful music background ....
Marie

Well, I definitely think the music had a lot to do with how steamy the scene was. I muted the movie during the kiss scene just to see how much of an impact the music was for the scene. It wasn't as breath taking so I have to give two thumbs up to the choice of music!!!

Pike Bishop
Pathfinder

USA

November 26 2003

Posted - November 27 2003 :  2:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Pike Bishop a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Let me add my pair of copper portraits of the sixteenth preisident of the United States.

I do firmly believe that they "did it!" I base this on the incredibly sensuous look on Cora's face as he cradles her in his arms. She has the look of a woman who has just the most incredible orgasm(s?) of her life.

Funny annecdote to that. I was discussing the movie with a bunch of my fellow history teachers, who also love the film. I mentioned this look and described it in the terms above, when one of my female co-workers asked:

"Gee Bob how would you know what that look looked like?"

Ouch!

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - February 12 2004 :  12:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bezahn (greetings),

Hawkeye was raised as an Indian, therefore he would not have shown emotion in public toward a female. He would have had to know her for quite a while prior to approaching her in a romantic way. He would have won favor by bringing gifts. Kissing among Indians was a little strange. Emotions would have been shown in other ways, such as holding her hand.
Of course, Hawkeye had enough exposure to whites to have learned a bit of the culture. Problem with "going all the way" in our society, is the fact that you are "married" after the first time. This is one reason why female captives were not sexually violated. Soon as you had sex, she was your new wife. Hawkeye would have been well aware of this. This could become problematic with your present wife, if you already had one. Another reason why we didn't violate women, was the fact that such disrespect for women would get you thrown out of the tribe by the council of women. My red-haired, blue-eyed Scot 4x great grandmother was captured in 1755. I can only imagine how my 4x great grandfather who was Shawnee, courted her. She chose to stay with the Shawnee during the prisoner exchanges. It was a national scandal that 86% of female captives chose to remain with the Indians. They owned everything in our society, but owned nothing in white society. Women were always equal in our society. We had to ask the Council of Women if we could go to war, as they could turn us down.
White captive women who were adopted could rise to the highest offices in the tribe, as they were totally Indian upon adoption or marriage to a tribal member.
Kissing leading to "all the way"? I don't think so! Just carressing the side of her face with his hand was almost a proposal of marriage.
I enjoyed the movie, but a lot of the action in the book was left out. I also didn't think that Daniel Day Lewis was right for the part. He didn't fit the image one gets from reading the book. A lot of my white friends who saw the movie, actually think that there are no Mohicans left, a source of amusement to me.

Kongo-neeleemah,

Ken Lonewolf / Shawnee-Seneca-Oneida

Ken Lonewolf

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 12 2004 :  1:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for adding your perspective Ken! Welcome to the board!

GG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 12 2004 :  1:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would like to add my welcome too, Lonewolf. Most interesting post, and you have made some very valid points. Thanks!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - February 13 2004 :  10:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Wilderness Woman,
Indians didn't kiss back then. Hawkeye was raised an indian, therefore if there was a "kiss" it was strictly Hollywood. Outward displays of affection towards women would have been an embarrasment. If he held her hand, that would have almost been a proposal.

Ken Lonewolf / Shawnee

Ken Lonewolf

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 14 2004 :  08:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome Ken Lonewolf. Thank you for the insight about "The Kiss". Always learning something here.

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2004 :  11:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lonewolf
...if there was a "kiss" it was strictly Hollywood.

Well, you know Hollywood! Gotta appeal to the masses.

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - February 15 2004 :  08:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Since I have a daughter, I find my self wishing we lived in a society similar to the one lonewolf describes. SIGH!

Hollywood portrays the act of love as something you do on a first date!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - May 09 2006 :  5:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"knocked my boots off", - geez could I add a line to that. Best not I guess! .... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - May 09 2006 :  6:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Might be the plains Indians were a tad different that the eastern Indians, - but a good read is Lewis & Clark's expedition. Journals was kept by some of the expedition, and sexual shyness wasn't a problem for any concerned, - long winters on the plains etc. One member from Boston I believe, thought he managed to get to heaven without dying.

you can keep "The Change"

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - May 09 2006 :  8:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you for the link to this topic Wilderness Woman! What a treasure trove the archives must be...

I initially said "all the way", and still will as that was my inital feeling on it. I can't add anything to the many and varied reasons already given, so will simply say "I agree", with a from the terms and ideas expressed.

I must add, though, after reading lonewolf's post I see that I was interpreting the scene using 'my version of the truth' and not considering the characters' realities. Thank you lonewolf for the wonderfully enlightening information you shared. Yet one more aspect of the Indian culture which is fascinating in it's sensibility. The rest of the world could truly benefit from adopting some of these ways.

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - May 11 2006 :  9:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
paazau I totally agree with your beautifully written comment to lonewolf's post.

I am very interested in Indian culture and it's so great to get information from the source. I admire their way of life and agree with you about the world benefiting from adopting their ways.

Unfortunately,living in the UK I hardly have a chance to come across any American Indians.

Regarding "the Kiss" I always thought that what we see on the screen is all that happened. I didn't take Indian perspective into consideration (I didn't know what it was anyway), I just felt that way when I first watched LOTM. Realistic or not, it's a beautiful scene.

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - May 15 2006 :  9:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thinking about it now, I wonder if lonewolf's explanation can help us understand the relationship between Alice and Uncas. Considering the cut out love scene it makes more sense that Uncas was in such a hurry after Magua took Alice away. Did he feel obliged?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 15 2006 :  11:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Raindrops you make an excellent point about Uncas. Since they had a "love scene" in the cave, I guess going by lonewolf's explanation of things, they were as good as married. This would definitely throw some light on why Uncas raced like a man possessed up the steep rocks to rescue Alice. I still wish Michael Mann had left that scene in and it would have avoided a lot of confusion and questions as to why Uncas raced off by himself, throwing all caution to the wind, to save a girl he barely knew and to whom he had hardly spoken at all. He did feel obligated to save Alice from whatever fate Magua had in mind for her.

IG

Keira
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2

January 25 2006

Posted - May 17 2006 :  2:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Irishgirl and Raindrops you have a good point there.I just wish I could see the Uncas and Alice love scene someday..
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: LOTM at the Olympics!!! Topic Next Topic: 20th Anniversary of LOTM at Chimney Rock Park  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07