Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/2/2024 1:25:39 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gettysburg ... Pickett's Charge - 1863
 The Battle of Gettysburg
 Who's to blame for Pickett's Charge?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Stonewall Jackson Scenerio Topic   

hazlett
Recruit

USA

Posted - August 29 2002 :  12:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who's to blame for the failure of Longstreet's assualt on Cemetary Ridge on July 3, 1863? Was it Lee's blunder to even attempt such an assualt? Probably, but his assualt plan wasn't followed in many regards. So where does the rest of the blame fall in the command structure? Is Pettigrew mostly to blame for the miscommunications he created? Is Hill to blame for volunteering a division he knew was battle weary? Is Ewell to blame for not pressing Cemetery Hill? Are Alexander or Pendleton to blame for miss handling artillery supplies? Is Longstreet to blame for not ordering the second assualt wave?

Rich
Commander-in-Chief

Rich
USA

Posted - September 25 2002 :  7:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Click to see Rich's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Interesting question! My own feeling is that the Battle of Gettysburg was lost on Day One, by Richard Ewell's failure to take the high ground of Cemetery & Culps Hill. Now, whether this was even possible, given the condition of the troops, is subject to much debate, but imagine for a moment that Stonewall Jackson had not been killed and was still in command of that Corps! [or it's equivalent if Lee had not restructured the Army of Northern Virginia]

But, if we restrict it to Day 3 only, I'll throw another variable into the equation. What if Stuart's cavalry had succeeded in seriously threatening the Union rear simultaneous to the assault by Pickett et al? What then?
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - May 13 2004 :  08:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pickett's charge failed because the confederate artillary fire was ineffective and was only used as preparation and not as support.
Supporting fire would have broken up federal infantry concentrations would have reduced federal fire control and would have hindered reinforcements reaching the front lines.The effect on confederate morale would have been enormous.
I dont know enough about civil war artillary but I do think that if the Confederates had the ability to lay down a creeping barrage in support of the infantry they would have had a good chance of victory.
Slan

KPolacek
Recruit

USA

Posted - July 26 2004 :  12:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blame? Not really.
Saw something which has changed my mind about Pickett's charge. Pennsylvania Cable Network carries Ranger talks from the battlefield every year. This year, I watched one given by Troy Harmon featuring the ground covered by Pickett's Division. It was a big surprise to me. Pickett was farther south than I though and he was not to aim for the Angle. Instead, he was to strike a gap in the Union lines where Caldwell's II Corps division had been pulled out. Caldwell's division had suffered heavy casualties on Day 2 in support of Sickels. This left a gap near a group of trees. In this group of trees sat part of Hunt's artillery reserve. Hunt had ordered them not to fire during the bombardment and it is likely Confederate troops did not know of their existence.
According to Harmon, Pickett was to strike the left flank of the Union II Corps in the gap. This would hopefully result in Union troops being taken from Cemetery Hill to halt Pickett. Other Confederate units would then break the Union line on Cemetery Hill. Anyway, Union artillery suddenly appeared on Pickett's right flank, forcing his brigades to the left and breaking up the plan.
  Previous Topic: Stonewall Jackson Scenerio Topic   
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03