Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/6/2024 4:34:43 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 The Little Bighorn Campaign
 Hitting The Trail - A Date With Destiny
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Theodore Goldin Topic Next Topic: LBH - Horse Whisperer  

Rich
Commander-in-Chief

Rich
USA

Posted - May 17 2003 :  6:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Click to see Rich's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Today marks the day in 1876 that the 7th U.S. Cavalry, under the command of Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer, along with elements of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry & a couple of Gatling guns, all under the overall command of General Alfred Terry, left Fort Abraham Lincoln - in Dakota Territory - as part of a 3-pronged round-up to drive "hostiles" back to the reservation.

Libby Custer saw a very eerie reflection of the column in the clouds above as they paraded westward ...

Five, or so, weeks later, tragedy would befall her husband.

whistlingboy
Lieutenant

USA

Posted - December 04 2005 :  09:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich - Are there any private 'tours' of the LBH battlefield that you would recommend hosted by individuals who live near or have access to all land areas pertinent to the study of the battle?
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - September 06 2006 :  8:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An extremely belated response but, nevertheless, a response. My personal experience is this, lands surrounding the battlefield are owned by private parties; Crow Indians. A respectable and earnest request to thread upon this land augmented by a small gratuity will do wonders. My wife and I were able to view the monument stone dedicate for Lt.Hodgeson on the west bank of the Little Big Horn river, a mere stone's throw away. It was an awesome and much appreciated experience that we will never forget.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - January 19 2007 :  11:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whom do you talk to to get to the Crows Nest?

“ An officer's first duty is to his horses.”

SEMPER FI

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 20 2007 :  7:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if he still does it but, Jim Court was giving tours that included a stop at the Crow's nest. I nave his e-mail, custertours@juno.com. I hope this helps, let me know how you came out.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - January 21 2007 :  12:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe

I sent an email request and let you know of the response?

SEMPER FI

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 21 2007 :  7:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anytime Az, please let me know how you came out. I'm thinking about going back to the battlefield this April. If I do, I will take many pictures and make sure that you get copies. Have you ever been there? If not, I have a video of my last visit that I could send you.

frankboddn
Major

USA

Posted - January 23 2007 :  01:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Ranger

Whom do you talk to to get to the Crows Nest?

AZ Ranger, as Joe said, Jim Court does or used to lead trips that went to the Crow's Nest. My understanding is that ownership of the rights to get to and up the Crow's Nest is up in the air, and it's pretty hard to get there. I've been up there twice. We had to hike up from the base of the hill the first time, and last time we went up in Jeep 4X's, and the road was terribly deteriorated. When I say "road," I'm being very charitable. I've heard it's next to impossible to get up there anymore. I'd say Court is your best bet at this point. Good luck.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 23 2007 :  7:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
frankbodden, what were you able to see from there? So much of the enigma of this battle is associated with Custer's perspectives after descending and returning to his command. I realize the topography has changed and the hour of the day has much to do with what is see able. I envy you my friend.

Edited by - joseph wiggs on January 23 2007 7:08:19 PM

frankboddn
Major

USA

Posted - January 26 2007 :  11:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joseph, from the Crow's Nest, you can't see much. Even with binoculars, the only way I could figure out where LSH was is by following a small stretch of highway 212, following it and making out what I thought was the LSH area. There is no way you could see the village. I would agree that it would be possible, if you knew what you were looking for, to make out what was thought to be the horse herd. I can email you some pictures if you send me your email address. I'm not sure if pictures can be attached here. I'll mess around with it and see.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 27 2007 :  8:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I don't know how to thank you for your generosity. In my readings, it seems that Custer was unable to see the "signs" of the village although his scouts could, including Varnum I think. My E-mail is oneluckeeb@.com. Thanking you in advance for your efforts.

Edited by - joseph wiggs on January 27 2007 8:31:35 PM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - January 28 2007 :  6:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you need some experience to know what you are looking for. If yo think horse you will never see them. I once(1979) was looking at 2000 elk about a mile away and could only see brown. The older officer told me it was the whole hill and watch for movement. Then I saw them. I also learned to see parts of an animal to identify them at distance.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 28 2007 :  7:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent point AZ, distance forces us to utilize more than one sense at a time. Sight must combine with experience/knowledge to achieve a true picture.

frankboddn
Major

USA

Posted - August 11 2007 :  12:51:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joseph, you asked what one can see from the Crow's Nest. Here's a few pictures taken by Fred Wagner from the Crow's Nest in June. Fred sent sent me a disk of his pictures. There were six of us on this outing, and we've all exchanged disks of our pictures:

This is taken from the same spot as the famous picture taken in 1919 picture that appears on page 112 of "The Custer Myth." Yours truly appears at the far right:

This is taken from where Dr. Richard Fox says Custer made his observations. This was taken about June 12th of this year. Notice how green it was? The greenest I've ever seen it.

Edited by - frankboddn on August 11 2007 12:54:09 AM

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - August 11 2007 :  8:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is my most sincere hope that you will never get tired of me saying thank you for your efforts. These photo's mean so much to me that I find it difficult to describe why it is so. every photograph you have posted has touched me in a unique way. again, thank you my friend.
  Previous Topic: Theodore Goldin Topic Next Topic: LBH - Horse Whisperer  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03