Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/4/2024 4:08:18 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Alamo - 1836
Allow Anonymous Posting forum ... Thirteen Days To Glory
 juan seguin Allow Anonymous Users to Reply to This Topic ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Where were the bodies buried Topic Next Topic: What are the must have Alamo books?  

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 28 2005 :  9:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has Juan Seguin received proper acknowledgement for his part in this battle?

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 28 2005 :  10:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am relatively new to the forum and, I have been puzzled by what appears to be the exclusion of Juan Seguin from the heroic actions that were achieved at the Alamo. I realize that Seguin did not fall at the battle. However, he was sent on a critical mission by Col. Travis to succor assistance for the beleagued command. As a result, he gathered 37 men and, was in route back to the Alamo when it fell. Whenever you hear of the famous battle of the Alamo, the names Crockett, Bowie, and Travis are always in the forefront. Would a fourth name be appropiate?
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - January 29 2005 :  2:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joseph wiggs

I am relatively new to the forum and, I have been puzzled by what appears to be the exclusion of Juan Seguin from the heroic actions that were achieved at the Alamo. I realize that Seguin did not fall at the battle. However, he was sent on a critical mission by Col. Travis to succor assistance for the beleagued command. As a result, he gathered 37 men and, was in route back to the Alamo when it fell. Whenever you hear of the famous battle of the Alamo, the names Crockett, Bowie, and Travis are always in the forefront. Would a fourth name be appropiate?

I wasn't aware of any blackout of Seguin's role in the story. I'd say he gets about as much press as he warrants; probably more, actually, since his writings form one of the few sources from the (adult male) Texan side that we have, and anyone who wants to deal with the Alamo has to deal with Seguin's sometimes contradictory reminiscences.

Crockett, Bowie, and Travis are front & center because they died. They were also the most famous members of the garrison, Crockett and Bowie by prior deeds, Travis by virtue of his letters and rank. Seguin doesn't venture into their class by either standard. He's not even the most important survivor; John W. Smith probably is, and Smith did everything Seguin did, and more. He's probably not as known, however, since he never put anything to paper, and being white, serves no modern multicultural purposes.

Seguin's never going to be as famous as the other three --- nobody is --- but I don't see how that shows he's not getting the acknowledgement due him. Look in any Alamo book index.

R. Larsen

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 29 2005 :  7:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You present your case with the aplomb of a man well versed in this field. I looked up John Smith on the computor after you posted and his resume was very impressive. As you pointed out, not many have ever heard him, at least I never had. I guess a prerequisite for heroic immortality is to actually die for your cause. I guess this is an understandable request although I don't wish to be a member of such a club.

Tuck
Recruit

Posted - January 31 2005 :  11:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Juan Seguin deserves a good bit of press! After the Texas Revolution he became the military commander of San Antonio, then he served a 3 year term as a Senator in the Congress of the Republic of Texas. After he left the Congress, he was twice elected Mayor of San Antonio.
Seguin's problem came in 1842 when a Mexican army again threatened San Antonio and he was accused of aiding in the invasion.Although cleared of the charges, he resigned as Mayor and fled across the river to Mexico, where he was arrested and thrown in prison.To avoid a life sentence he joined with the Mexican army to go back to San Antonio and assist other Tejanos who wanted to go to exile in Mexico.
This info comes from a new book titled "Sleuthing The Alamo" by James E Crisp. I knew very little about Juan Seguin except for his being the Tejano leader and carrying messages from the Alamo until I read this book.
Maybe part of the reason more isn't known about him is because he was seen as a traitor to the cause after his return to Mexico.This man was a 5th generation citizen of San Antonio, who along with a lot of other Tejanos was treated rather badly by the Anglos once Texas became a nation.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - February 02 2005 :  9:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps that is the exact motivation that prompted me to speak up for Juan Seguin, the aftermath in which he was treated, perhaps, unfairly. I remembered reading how the "Tejanos" were treated like second hand citizens after the war. I am sure that there are others who need to be remembered, as well, for their heroic efforts. Thank you so much for your information regarding "Sleuthing", I will add it to my list of books to read.

Anonymous Poster2410
Forum Guest

Posted - December 29 2006 :  1:24:45 PM  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tuck

I believe Juan Seguin deserves a good bit of press! After the Texas Revolution he became the military commander of San Antonio, then he served a 3 year term as a Senator in the Congress of the Republic of Texas. After he left the Congress, he was twice elected Mayor of San Antonio.
Seguin's problem came in 1842 when a Mexican army again threatened San Antonio and he was accused of aiding in the invasion.Although cleared of the charges, he resigned as Mayor and fled across the river to Mexico, where he was arrested and thrown in prison.To avoid a life sentence he joined with the Mexican army to go back to San Antonio and assist other Tejanos who wanted to go to exile in Mexico.
This info comes from a new book titled "Sleuthing The Alamo" by James E Crisp. I knew very little about Juan Seguin except for his being the Tejano leader and carrying messages from the Alamo until I read this book.
Maybe part of the reason more isn't known about him is because he was seen as a traitor to the cause after his return to Mexico.This man was a 5th generation citizen of San Antonio, who along with a lot of other Tejanos was treated rather badly by the Anglos once Texas became a nation.

Anonymous Poster2410
Forum Guest

Posted - December 29 2006 :  1:28:31 PM  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tuck

It doesn't matter what made the man defect. He was a hero of the texas revolution, however, he was still a traitor later to the united states government for aiding mexico for whatever the reason. You are not forced to do anything in this world. The alamo defenders were not forced to die in the alamo it was a choice.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 27 2007 :  9:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The remains of those who died in the Alamo were burned by order of General Santa Anna, and the few fragments I ordered deposited in an urn. I ordered a sepulcher opened in San Antonio's cathedral next to the alter, that is, in front of the the railings but very near the steps."

Let us honor this gentleman for this act of reverence for the fallen. Does anyone know if that urn was subsequently discovered by others?

Anonymous Poster7063
Forum Guest

Posted - July 12 2007 :  9:08:26 PM  Reply with Quote
If you guys would like to read about Seguin, I´ll recommend the book:
"A Revolution Remembered - the memoirs and selected correspondence of Juan N. Seguin" edited by Jesus F. d la Teja.
Not only does de la Teja tell the facts about Seguin, but the book also contains Seguins complete memoirs! You can get it at www.amazon.com and other book sites...

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - July 17 2007 :  5:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7063 thanks, I will look up and read a revolution remembered!

Anonymous Poster7062
Forum Guest

Posted - September 01 2007 :  11:23:19 PM  Reply with Quote
quote:

7063 thanks, I will look up and read a revolution remembered!

Great! You won´t regret it, It´s a very interesting book! Seguin´s complete memoirs alone are worth the price of the book. And there´s so much more in the book, such as a lot of correspondence to and from Seguin (Houston, Lamar, Rusk etc. etc.), not to forget de la teja´s own writings about Tejano´s.
I would like to hear what you think of the book after you´ve read it.

frankboddn
Major

USA

Posted - September 08 2007 :  01:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seguin (Houston, Lamar, Rusk

Ah, the great names of the heroes of the Texas war for independence.
I went for a semester to LAMAR University.
I enlisted in the Navy and went from HOUSTON to bootcamp.
I had an uncle and cousin who were both committed to RUSK State Mental hospital.
SEGUIN, the town I always exit off I-10 to cut across to New Braunfels on Highway 46.
Okay, silly post by me, but as I've traveled through many cities in my native Texas, I never forget the heroes from whom they were named.

Anonymous Poster7062
Forum Guest

Posted - September 14 2007 :  11:37:07 AM  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frankboddn

Seguin (Houston, Lamar, Rusk

Ah, the great names of the heroes of the Texas war for independence.
I went for a semester to LAMAR University.
I enlisted in the Navy and went from HOUSTON to bootcamp.
I had an uncle and cousin who were both committed to RUSK State Mental hospital.
SEGUIN, the town I always exit off I-10 to cut across to New Braunfels on Highway 46.
Okay, silly post by me, but as I've traveled through many cities in my native Texas, I never forget the heroes from whom they were named.

I see. So maybe you´ve seen the equestrian statue of Juan Seguin and his grave, when you´ve been in the town of Seguin?
I have´nt seen it myself since I live in Europe but I plan to go to Texas and see all the sights of the Texas Independence War, such as the Alamo, Goliad and Seguin, maybe also a trip to Brackettville and see the Alamo Village etc.

Seguin
Recruit

0915_by_Seguin
Denmark

Posted - September 14 2007 :  11:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I´m not anonymous poster 7062 anymore. I´ve joined the forum...

Recuerden El Alamo

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - October 14 2007 :  6:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recuerden El Alamo Mi Amigo (I think)

I didn't get a chance to read the book about Seguin yet. I haven't forgot. As soon as I am completely healed from traffic accident injuries I'll do so. I didn't want you to think that I had forgotten.

Seguin
Recruit

0915_by_Seguin
Denmark

Posted - December 05 2007 :  02:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Recuerden El Alamo Mi Amigo (I think)

I didn't get a chance to read the book about Seguin yet. I haven't forgot. As soon as I am completely healed from traffic accident injuries I'll do so. I didn't want you to think that I had forgotten.

Sorry to hear you had an accident, Joseph! I hope you´ll recover fully!
No hurry! Take your time with the book...

Recuerden El Alamo
  Previous Topic: Where were the bodies buried Topic Next Topic: What are the must have Alamo books?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03