Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/6/2024 12:03:19 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 The Little Bighorn Campaign
 The Spearhead of Indian Attack
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: GARRYOWEN TROOPER WEIR Topic Next Topic: Renos Scout  

Girl from Europe
Recruit

Posted - August 08 2005 :  12:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
there were so many tribes at LBH, Oglala, Hunkpapa, Blackfeet, Miniconjou, Sans Arcs, Brule, Yankton, Cheyennes, Arapahos etc etc.
Which tribe was the greatest killing force at LBH or spearheaded the attacks on Custer ?

thanks
God Bless Europe

Heavyrunner
Captain

USA

Posted - August 09 2005 :  4:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GfE....It's nice to see/read a European perspective... Some of those here with researcher's credentials might better know which groups occupied various parts of the encampment...possibly accounting for those responding first. Beyond Sioux (various bands), Cheyenne and, to a degree, Arapaho, I don't think the others were there in great numbers.

By the way, the Indians didn't attack, Custer did. The Indians defended with, um, extreme prejudice.

Bob Bostwick
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Rich
Commander-in-Chief

Rich
USA

Posted - August 10 2005 :  12:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Click to see Rich's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Comments:

Oglala, Hunkpapa, Blackfeet, Miniconjou, Sans Arcs, Brule, and Yankton are all bands of Sioux.

As for who attacked who, unquestionably Custer initiated the attack. However, as things progressed, one could easily interpret things as being Custer on the defensive, Indians on the attack.

Traditionally, Hunkpapa are largely attributed to have counter-attacked Reno before spearheading an attack on Custer's battalion. Oglala & Cheyenne, again, traditionally, led another main thrust against Custer.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - September 03 2005 :  8:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have hesitated to respond to this question for some time because Hunk and Rich have both responded with very credible replies and, I did not wish to appear nit-picky. The only thing I would like to add to this scenario is the view that Warrior reaction to Custer's command not so much a "spearhead" attack as a surprised reaction to an unanticipated stimulus. More of a surprised reaction to military movements that seemed to make no sense to the Indian warrior. For example, Reno's inexplicable (to the warriors) halt into skirmish. Only then did fleeing warriors turned about to meet the enemy. The thrust of "C", or portions thereof, into Calhoun Coulée which was repulsed by Indian fire from Greasy Grass Ridge. Again, fleeing warriors suddenly turned about. When the troopers were evacuation Weir's Point, in haste, only Godfrey's command presence kept the line in place which totally repulsed the embolden warriors.

In other words, the "spearhead" thrust of warriors only occurred when the soldiers were retreating. You know something I am being picky.
  Previous Topic: GARRYOWEN TROOPER WEIR Topic Next Topic: Renos Scout  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03