Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/4/2024 7:25:37 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Alamo - 1836
Allow Anonymous Posting forum ... Thirteen Days To Glory
 Favorite Alamo Film Allow Anonymous Users to Reply to This Topic ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: New Alamo site Topic Next Topic: Life at the Alamo Prior to the Battle  

Rich
Commander-in-Chief

Rich
USA

Posted - August 31 2003 :  10:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Click to see Rich's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
On the eve of the release of a brand new epic Alamo film, which of these two older films is your favorite Alamo film to date?

Comment below!

Choices:

The Alamo [John Wayne]
Thirteen Days To Glory
Another choice

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 01 2003 :  07:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, 13 days isn't all that great either.
John Wayne as Davy Crockett was an absolutely poor choice. Totally unbelieveable, which helped make the movie unenjoyable.
I hope they don't screw up this new effort--but I'm not optimistic.
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

frankboddn
Major

USA

Posted - September 12 2003 :  02:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brent, not John Wayne as Davy Crockett? What about as Sgt. Striker?

Rich
Commander-in-Chief

Rich
USA

Posted - October 06 2003 :  7:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Click to see Rich's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So, what don't we like about "13 Days To Glory"???

pgb3
Private

Posted - November 02 2003 :  10:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that the John Wayne version is a real “guilty pleasure” of mine. I just love that movie. Granted, there is probably not a single true historical fact in the entire movie, but, it is great fun. And pretty visually stunning as well. 13 Days was a made for TV piece, and while Raul Julia was a great Santa Ana, the rest of the cast was pretty flat. In all, I just remember it as that: flat. No oomph to it. I have not seen it since it was on TV, when was that, about ’86 or so? But I rent the Wayne movie every few years and still love it. I can’t wait till, what, April now, for this new one. The characters all seem age appropriate for one, and BB actually looks like the real Crockett.

benteens brother
Corporal

Australia

Posted - November 07 2003 :  10:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read somewhere that John Wayne only intended to direct the movie originally but the film's financiers wouldn't put in unless he played a part. I think he lost a lot of his own money on the film.
He had some problems with Richard Widmark apparently. Producing, directing and starring was a pretty heavy load.

Anonymous Poster8161
Forum Guest

Posted - December 26 2003 :  06:24:10 AM  Reply with Quote
I loved the John Wayne version of the Alamo. I just watched The Alamo - Thirteen Days to Glory and it was not nearly as good as the John Wayne version. The acting was not very good.

Peggy Wilson

Anonymous Poster4266
Forum Guest

Posted - January 07 2004 :  08:35:01 AM  Reply with Quote
I watch the John Wayne version, not because its great, but because its all you really have. A TON of facts were changed, omitted, and a squadron of made up stories made the movie tough to watch at times. John Wayne was John Wayne,not Davy Crockett. I know they tried to sell the movie through action, but too many facts were altered. I hope the new movie lets the facts sell itself!

Anonymous Poster8166
Forum Guest

Posted - March 08 2004 :  10:21:00 PM  Reply with Quote
I just bought the companion book to the upcoming Alamo movie, which provides the complete screenplay. After reading it, I am certain this will be THE most accurate Alamo movie ever made. One thing that is guaranteed to get audiences in a frenzy: David Crockett (Billy Bob Thornton) is depicted as dying as an executed prisoner, rather than going down swinging Old Betsey a la Wayne and Fess Parker. This is in fact what most Alamo historians believe happened--such as Steven
Hardin, Paul Andrew Hutton, Stephen Harrington. (Admittedly, some do not--such as William C. Davis and R.R. Edmondson.

Prior to the new version of "The Alamo," I would have had to pick "The Last Command." Yes, it has its share of historicl inaccuracies. But it's the only film that shows the gradual buildup to the Texas Revolution and does so in a swift-moving, reasonably accurate way.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - October 16 2004 :  8:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize that this post is extremely late, but I just had the opportunity to see the most recent movie version of the battle. It stared Billy Thorton as Davy Crockett. The characters appeared to be very human and realistic and devoid of "Hollywood" trappings. I realize that this statement appears to be an oxymoron, but its my opinion.

Frank Spencer
Private

Posted - February 21 2005 :  4:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
c

Anonymous Poster7968
Forum Guest

Posted - May 09 2005 :  4:58:22 PM  Reply with Quote
I realise this is late, however the IMAX film "The Alamo: The Price of Freedom" is overall the best film of any kind to cover this subject.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - July 30 2005 :  9:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thorton's portrayal of Crockett seemed, to me, to be honest and human. No hero is 100% superior, he/she is a conglomeration of all that is the best and worst in humanity. This is how I perceived Thorton's portrayal.
  Previous Topic: New Alamo site Topic Next Topic: Life at the Alamo Prior to the Battle  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03