The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/18/2024 1:06:37 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 Forbes Military Road
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Braddocks Defeat Historical Sites Topic Next Topic: Battle on Snowshoes  Another new movie  

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 11 2003 :  01:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those wishing to follow the same route used by General Forbes, as well as to see some of the surviving/reconstructed sites of interest, here is a rough route of travel: (NOTE: you can make it eaiser by travelling US 30 West, from Carlisle, since there are no sites of general interest until you reach Ft. Loudon)

1) Starting at Carlisle, travel south on US 11 toward Shippensburg. You will find a PHMC marker for the Carlisle Redoubts. This was General Forbes' Campaign starting point.

2) About 2 miles south of Shippensburg, make a right on to Township Route (TR) 663. This was known as "The Loudon Road". Once near the site of Pinola, head toward Culbertson.

3) At Culbertson, the road traverses the grounds of the Letterkenny Army Ordinance Depot. From there, you want to get onto TR 538 heading toward Cheesetown, via TR 692, TR539 & State Route (SR) 4010 to Crider's Cemetery.

4) From there, you want the St. Thomas-Edenville Road, head toward Ft. Loudon. Ft. Loudon has been reconstructed, and during the month of November is filled with weekend F&I encampments.

5) From Ft. Loudon, you want to follow Route 30 west, since it roughly follows a good portion of the original road. You may turn off the betten path to the village of Fort Lyttleton, but there is only a PHMC marker on SR 522.

6) Continuing westward, on US 30, you will pass where the fortifcaton at Juniata Crossing. Once again, only a PHMC marker remains, about 6 miles east of Everett.

7) Within the modern town of Bedford, you will find another PHMC marker on US 30, marking the location of Ft. Bedford. Nearby, extensive private digs have located not only where the fort was, but the outerworks. One of the men responsible for the great work is none other than Roger Kirwin, the Director of Old Bedford Village (Located west of town, toward the PA Turnpike), a very nice site of relocated 18th century buildings.

8) Still travelling US 30 West, you will pass another PHMC marker noting the location of Ft. Dewart. Never a stockaded or 'proper' fort, it was nontheless a very important earthen redoubt, meant to provide a secure place to camp overnight.

9) From here, once again continuing west on US 30, you will eventually end up at Ft. Ligonier. Ft. Ligonier was the last 'proper' fort built on the road, before the forks of the Ohio. The fort has been reconstructed, and the site of living history events.

10) Continue west on US 30, past the Latrobe Airport, and make a right onto SR 1045 and an immediate left onto TR 898 which turns into SR 1022. You want to then get onto SR 1032 toward Hannastown (The location of another lovely reconstructed 'Pre-RevWar' village).

11) Several miles further, you want to follow SR 66 North, to US 22 West. From here, west of Murraysville, you want to turn right onto Sardis Road and turn left onto the Northern Pike, followed by a right onto New Texas Rd. Passing Boyce Park, east of which is Washington's Redoubt or Second Camp, you want to turn left onto SR 380, also known as Frankstown Road.

12) Stay on SR 380 West, you will pass through Plum Boro, Penn Hills and eventually end up in Pittsburgh East End (Remember caveat from posting, Rich), it will eventually become Frankstown Ave.

13) From Frankstown Ave., you will get onto Penn Ave. in the city's Point Breeze section. On Penn Ave., between Dallas Ave. and North Linden Ave., is the bronze tree stump I previously mentioned.

14) Staying on Penn Ave., right around 34th St., the original road turned closer to the river, but for convience sake stay on Penn Ave., till it merges with Liberty Ave.

15) Liberty Ave. will then empty out onto Commonwealth Place, at where the front gate of Ft. Pitt would have been located. From here, you cross Commonwealth Place, and enter Point State Park, where the Ft. Pitt Museum is located.

Please forgive these directions, I am working on memory and do not have access to my library at this time. Any o

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 11 2003 :  04:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just had a Personal Development Course on The Forbes Road from WCCC.The first half was the classroom part where the instructor showed us the route complete with his photos of all the P.H.M.C markers that dot the way.On the second half,we met at Ft.Ligonier last Saturday and went by car to all of the nearby related sites including Hanna's Town (which reminded me of OBV),St.Vincent's College(near the Arnold Palmer Int'l Airport)and the cemetery where Mr.Rogers is buried along with some F&I vets.I still learn more from the posts on this site however

Highlander
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 11 2003 :  08:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent tour! Thanks! Appreciated, and hope to follow it someday ...

Gunner Wilson
Lost in the Wilderness

Paratrooper
USA

April 29 2003

Posted - May 12 2003 :  10:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Richfed, I don't know if Sgt. Munro mentioned it, but at the location near Ft. Dewart, you can find the remains of some bread ovens used by the army.

YH&OS,
Gunner Alex Wilson RA

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 12 2003 :  12:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,
I'm glad that this post helped you. It actually is much easier to understand when you see the route laid over top of a modern topographical map. Eventually, I plan to finish such a map, and I'll send you a copy.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 12 2003 :  1:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank would be great, Sgt! I look forward to it ...
  Previous Topic: Braddocks Defeat Historical Sites Topic Next Topic: Battle on Snowshoes  Another new movie  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.36 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07