The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/10/2024 11:05:28 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Alice Munro
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Chingachgook or Magua? Topic Next Topic: Who turned out to be braver?  Cora or Alice?  

UncasLover13
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2004

Posted - October 17 2004 :  9:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On this wonderful website, lol, some people say how Jodhi May does a terrible job portraying the character of Alice. They also go on about how she clings to Cora too much or how she's vacant and in a daze the whole film. Well, I just want to stand up for Alice. If you were taken from your regular life and thrown into a a mess of war and death, wouldn't you be terrified? I know I would. And if my older sister was out there with me, I would seek her for comfort. I would definitely be more like Alice and be scared to death! lol. I could never be as brave as Cora, and I doubt any women in those times who lived a life of security and everything would be that brave during the time when her life is on the line. Although, she is very inspiring and I wish I could be like her and have that sort of bravery..lol. I just do not understand why everyone gives the character of Alice Munro such a hard time. What do you all think?
--UL13
report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 21 2004 :  05:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Given the sparce amount of dialogue she is given, I feel Jodhi May - a very talented actress - does a marvelous job with the character she is asked to portray. I have always thought that. No problems here with her interpretation or performance ...
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - October 21 2004 :  09:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Uhh, I know among the men that I deal with, there are NO problems with Miss May's portrayal. In fact, her abilities are often held higher than "Cora's"!! Just this poor longhunter's observations.
Many Flags of the Allemaengel

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2004 :  12:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I remember that she was able to convey a VERY strong portrayal of what her character had to go through. I saw her in a Masterpiece Theater piece, as well, and she was also very good. I have a friend who was one of the many "extras" in the film, and he said of Madeline Stowe, "The b*tch can't act!" He said she was very snooty on the set, moreso than anyone else. But then again, that was just his opinion. In my opinion, Miss Stowe had more of an opportunity to display her dramatic abilities with the lines and love scenes she had, but I can't imagine that it was difficult to "act" like she was enjoying the love scene with Daniel Day-Lewis! How much of a challenge would THAT be?

UncasLover: I'll bet that you wished there was more of a love scene between Alice and Uncas, no?

Rose

Lurking Huron3459
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - October 21 2004 :  6:05:42 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by blueotter

UncasLover: I'll bet that you wished there was more of a love scene between Alice and Uncas, no?

Rose

I know that I always wished so!
caitlin
  Previous Topic: Chingachgook or Magua? Topic Next Topic: Who turned out to be braver?  Cora or Alice?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.2 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07