The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/27/2024 1:19:37 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Who turned out to be braver? Cora or Alice?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Alice Munro Topic Next Topic: Looking For the LOTM Movie Poster?  

UncasLover13
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2004

Posted - October 11 2004 :  2:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure there will be lots of different opinions on this topic. So, who did turn out to be bravest out of the two sisters? I would have to go with Alice. I mean sure, in the beginning she was really scared of everything. But wouldnt you be too? Being taken out of your regular life and thrown into something that terrifying? Still, I don't think anything can be braver than giving up your life the way she did. How she was so calm and just stepped off like that for the man she loved. I think Alice definitely proved to be bravest out of the two. What do you all think?
--UL13
report to moderator

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - October 11 2004 :  6:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I can sympathize with what Alice went through, but I can't in any way believe she is "brave." Killing yourself in my opinion is never a "brave" thing to do although at times -- in Alice's case, for example -- it might often seem as the only way out. I think she offed herself partly because she was mentally gone, as well as for any love she had for Uncas. I was raised with the "stand and fight" mentality and the the notion that with the right faith and mentality, you can get through anything you are asked to do. So I would have to vote for Cora here. She witnessed death, destruction and violence all in a few days and was still able to keep herself alive to be reunited with the man she loved. Also she maintained her courage and dignity even when faced with a totally alien landscape and circomestance. So I have to give my vote to Cora. I feel sorry for Alice, but I can't call what she did brave.

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Kaya
Pioneer

January 21 2004

Posted - October 11 2004 :  8:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will have to agree with Christina, suicide is a final solution to a temporary problem as the saying goes. Maybe Alice panicked, but Cora showed true strength in everything that was thrown her way, including protecting her sister as best as she could.

rydergrl
Colonial Settler

Pisces
USA

November 03 2003

Posted - October 11 2004 :  11:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cora definitely gets my vote.

What you give of yourself is priceless.

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - October 12 2004 :  12:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't think Alice was acting out of bravery -- I think she had reached the point where the alternative to death was unbearable: going on without any loved ones (she didn't know Cora's fate at that time), seeing the man she (probably) loved brutally slaughtered before her eyes, and worst of all, her only future being the property of Magua, who was unspeakably horrible!

I am not saying that she was acting out of cowardice, either! Unfortunately, serious suicide isn't ruled by logic. To me, this makes it even more tragic. What the human spirit/mind/body can take is confounded by the plain science of brain chemistry, and considering the severe stress of her total experience, her seretonin levels must have been totally depleted by that time. I know that Cooper didn't have an inkling about such things, but that doesn't make the physiology of the situation less true.

Rose

Jacy
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

August 12 2004

Posted - October 12 2004 :  08:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cora has a visible strength of spirit, Alice is clearly a very scared young girl. Her choices in the film paint a picture of inner strength I think though, an final act of revenge on the world that has shown her cruelty and brutality would be to leave it and enter the world after.

Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die.

Does that make sense?

Jacy x

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 14 2004 :  05:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cora is definitely the braver of the two.

Suicide is not an act of strength or bravery. At the moment the act occurs, pressing the trigger, driving the car off the road, or in this case, jumping off a cliff, there might be elements of this, but the overall act of taking one's life is shrouded in weakness ... not being able to face up to the realities of life.

Alice did nothing else to demonstrate bravery or courage. Perhaps, if she had spit in Magua's face in defiance, a solid argument could be made.

UncasLover13
Colonial Settler

USA

May 17 2004

Posted - October 15 2004 :  11:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Haha! Great point, Richfed. I just think, that during the course of the movie, Alice did grow up in a way. LOL..I seriously can not stop laughing..picturing her spitting in his face! :)
  Previous Topic: Alice Munro Topic Next Topic: Looking For the LOTM Movie Poster?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.23 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07