The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/7/2024 1:57:11 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Mohicanland's Recommended Reading
 From Cold Mountain to Cherokee Country
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Witch Child-Salem Topic Next Topic: In the Hands of the Senecas, etc.  

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - April 20 2006 :  11:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles Frazier, author of Cold Mountain, has a new book coming out on October 3. It's called Thirteen Moons, published by Random House, and is inspired by the true story of Colonel William H. Thomas, a white man who was raised by the Cherokees and fought for the Confederacy. (I read this on the CNN website yesterday, but the link I tried to post didn't work.)

Now here's the important part: A Cherokee chief named Bear plays a big role in the story. Carter, are you thinking what I'm thinking? Surely the movie rights to the second book by the author of a book as successful as Cold Mountain will be snapped up in no time . . . .

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama
report to moderator

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - April 20 2006 :  8:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for that Bookworm. I'll make a note to watch for that one. Sounds like it could be a good read.

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 20 2006 :  8:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My husband and I are big fans of Col. Thomas and live not far from where he is buried. He sounds like a very unusual and eccentric person; fascinating. When I heard about the book and thought about a possible movie, I tried to think of actors to play Thomas. The only one I can think of is Stephen Lang. Any other ideas?
Steph

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 21 2006 :  10:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just re-read your message and it dawned on me who "Bear" is. Those of you who saw "Unto These Hills" with us at the last Gathering will know him as Drowning Bear, or Yonaguska, Will Thomas' adoptive father. Will Thomas is portrayed in "Unto These Hills" because of his role as an advocate for the Cherokee. Because Indians couldn't own land, he bought tracts of land in western NC in his name and allowed the Cherokee to live there. These tracts of land are now known as the Qualla Boundary.
Excellent idea about Drowning Bear, I do hope Carter reads this!

Here is more about Will Thomas, or Will Udsi as the Cherokee called him (meaning Little Will). I hope Frazier does him justice:
http://www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/exhibits/civilwar/explore_section4m.html

rraffanti
Pathfinder

USA

December 11 2004

Posted - April 22 2006 :  8:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello Everyone:

I've been researching William Holland Thomas since I read Cold Mountain and saw that reference in the first part of the book where Inman is recuperating in that makeshift hospital and he is remembering Swimmer and wondering if he is fighting federals in William Thomas's Legion. That was all I needed to go to Google and find out everything I could about him. I ordered this book from Amazon and just received it in the mail yesterday:

Rebel Chief: The Motley Life of Colonel William Holland Thomas[Hardcover] By: Paul A. Thomsen

I haven't started reading it yet, since I just got it. From my very first reading about William Thomas, I knew his story would make a very compelling movie or TV miniseries. If I had the resources, I would absolutely produce it myself.

Stephanie, this is my choice of the actor to portray William Holland Thomas. Some may be shocked, offended or worse, but this actor is a real Southerner, and two years before he starred in a very popular dance movie, he played the lead role of Orry Main in the highly acclaimed 1985 Civil War TV miniseries, North and South, based on John Jakes' best selling novel, and was wonderful in it. He is now 53 years old, around the same age as Col. Thomas was when he was leading his Legion.

His name is Patrick Swayze.

Rita Raffanti

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 23 2006 :  09:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rita,
Hmmm. Hmmm.Well I have to say that actor had not crossed my mind. But now that I think about it, you might be onto something. That is a VERY interesting selection and could be just about perfect. Hmmmmm.
The reason I picked Stephen Lang is because he has been in a number of period pieces and I believe can pull just about anything off. The reason he is not really a household name is because he is such a chameleon... you would not recognize him from one role to the next. He was Stonewall Jackson in Gods & Generals, he played Pickett in Gettysburg, and believe it or not, Ike Clanton in Tombstone. Here is a picture: http://www.nndb.com/people/815/000069608/ I think he is about the right age, too.
Little Will was a small man, arrogant and cocky at times, but the ladies loved him. I'll be okay as long as they don't get Tom Cruise to play the role!!!!
Hey Rita, when you are here for the Gathering, maybe we can sneak off for a minute and I'll show you where Col. Thomas is buried. It is near my house, about 20 minutes from your hotel. I'd be glad to take you there or give you directions. W.W. Stringfield is buried near Col. Thomas; he is another interesting character who plays an important part in Thomas' life and legion.
Check out this picture: http://www.bcooper.aaahosting.net/img41.jpg Col. Thomas is the center top, Stringfield is the handsome one in the top row without a beard. James Robert Love, my husband's ancestor, has the dark beard and is center bottom below Thomas.
Stephanie
  Previous Topic: Witch Child-Salem Topic Next Topic: In the Hands of the Senecas, etc.  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07