The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/26/2024 3:35:58 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Mohicanland's Recommended Reading
 "In the Hands of the Senecas," etc.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: From Cold Mountain to Cherokee Country Topic Next Topic: New Books From Ye Olde Towne Crier!  

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - February 17 2004 :  9:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been about a week that I've been on the board and I haven't yet recommended a book, so, before anyone suggests that I'm not worthy of my user name, I'll mention two that might interest fellow Mohicanlanders.

First, "In the Hands of the Senecas" by Walter D. Edmonds, author of "Drums Along the Mohawk." Like that more famous novel, this one is set in the MOhawk Valley during the Rev. War. It tells the stories of four women, of varying stations in life, who are captured during a Seneca raid on the settlement of Dygartsbush and are taken west to the Genesee country, where they meet different and sometimes surprising fates. I liked this book even better than "Drums," maybe because it features a more intimate, detailed view of Indian/white relations -- and for a book written in 1937, I think it's a pretty fair and objective view, at that.

On the non-fiction front, I can't recommend too highly "Into the American Woods: Negotiators on the Pennsylvania Frontier," by James H. Merrell. Sounds scholarly, and is (the author is a professor at Northwestern), but also very readable and immensely informative. The subject is the negotiators (including Shikellamy, Conrad Weiser, and George Croghan) who served as go-betweens for the proprietary government and the Indians during the "Long Peace" that endured in Pennsylvania until the 1750s. The book includes detailed recountings of specific incidents, such as the murder of Jack Armstrong on the Juniata River in 1744 and the efforts of Shikellamy and Weiser to contain the problem posed by that incident; provides information on such subjects as the uses of wampum and the importance of the ceremony called "AT the Woods' Edge"; and ponders why negotiations ultimately failed (because what was being negotiated was so often the Indian cession of land, and because only one of the two peoples involved could envision a future that included the other. A truly enlightening book, IMHO!

Both of these books are available in paperback through Amazon (which of course can be accessed through this site -- felt Rich looking over my shoulder there). "Senecas" has been reprinted by Syracuse University in their New York Classics series.
report to moderator

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 18 2004 :  04:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome, Bookworm! I have the James Merrell book sitting here on my shelf. You are right......it is a truly enlightening book! Having participated in several "Wood's Edges", I can appreciate the ceremonies and negotiations which take place at such. Ours are never scripted, and are allowed to ebb and flow with the skills and whims of the negotiators. Fascinating stuff!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 18 2004 :  7:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Both of these books are available in paperback through Amazon (which of course can be accessed through this site -- felt Rich looking over my shoulder there). "Senecas" has been reprinted by Syracuse University in their New York Classics series.

Thanks for the plug, Bookworm ... ... but, how in the world did I ever get this reputation?!?

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 18 2004 :  8:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I haven't read the James Merrell book, but I have read "In The Hands of the Seneca." Like you, Bookworm, I liked it very much. In fact, this is giving me a yearning to re-read it.

Speaking of Edmonds, have you read any of his books about the Erie Canal? I especially enjoyed "Erie Water", which is a novel about the digging and construction of the canal. Fascinating! "Rome Haul" is a novel about life as a "canaller." A movie made in the early 50s, "The Farmer Takes A Wife" starring Betty Grable, was very loosely based on that book.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - February 19 2004 :  08:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I haven't read Edmonds' Erie Canal books, but with your recommendation, WW, I'll add them to my ever-growing to-do list. (I know what my last words on this earth are going to be: "But I still haven't read . . . " Maybe heaven is a library??? Or even better, a not-for-profit Borders with coffee shop.)

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 19 2004 :  10:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bookworm
First, "In the Hands of the Senecas" by Walter D. Edmonds, author of "Drums Along the Mohawk."

Hey! Have you been peekin' at my bookshelf? I have both of those books, side-by-side on my shelf!! (*Twilight Zone music playing*)

I guess I'll be re-reading them soon!

Another one I liked..."Follow the River" about a woman captive who found her way back home. Not the best-written book, but a gripping story.

qasimoto
Pioneer

USA

March 11 2005

Posted - January 08 2006 :  03:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello Bookworm,

Another poster (whose name I'm trying find so I can thank her, but without luck so far) referred to In the Hands of the Senecas, as well as Follow the River.

I found them both on eBay immediately, in reasonably good used condition, without any bidders, and wound up being the only bidder on both, at $6 for one and $2 for the other--sub-Amazon prices! Just received River yesterday and am into it about 80 pp, seems pretty well conceived and written.

While it is fiction, it is based on true events and, if you're interested in the period and setting, I recommend it. Easy read, and not all that large.

Just thought I'd mention the above, re ready availability of many esoteric and arcane books on eBay, for other readers. Might get a few dog ears, but anything worse is usually honestly described--and they have so much stuff, that your book is likely to be there.

Sorry, no smilies; I hate the damned things.

Qasimoto

qasimoto
Pioneer

USA

March 11 2005

Posted - January 08 2006 :  03:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
(ahem) And what reputation might THAT be, good sir?

Qasimoto

quote:
Originally posted by richfed

quote:

Thanks for the plug, Bookworm ... ... but, how in the world did I ever get this reputation?!?

Previous Topic: From Cold Mountain to Cherokee Country Topic Next Topic: New Books From Ye Olde Towne Crier!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07