Out By The Corner Mailbox
Out By The Corner Mailbox
5/2/2024 12:23:13 PM
Events | Active Polls | Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads | Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend Out On The Corner!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Net IPGate Include
 All Forums
 The Old Neighborhood
 Reminisces
 3R Microfilm and the Valbrook Diner&Jeff Rubenstei
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Head Shop Topic Next Topic: RICHIES NEW PHOTO ALBUM PHOTOS
Page: of 2

Bean
Still Hangin' At The Mailbox

USA

Posted - March 18 2003 :  12:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richie -
Remember our short stint as night mirco film workers at 3R Mircofilm by the Trestle on Merrick Road in Valley Stream, and out breaks at the Valbrook diner stuffing our faces with Roast Beef Sandwiches, fries while flirting with the waitress Susan Dubrow I think her name was, she was from the Central my year 1971 I believe, she use to go out with Jeff Rubenstein I believe. OK trivia ? what band did did Jeff play bass for and who was in it? Jeff was working at the Central Bike and Mower store in Valley Stream some time during the early 80's I believe, that was the last I heard of him? Anyone else know any thing more recent. And Richie remember the night the cops showed up around 3AM with their guns drawn at 3R because the alarms went off and we were in the middle of having a film fight, throwing film all over the place so when the cops came barging in they found us with film strewn all over the place hanging from the ceiling and we had to convince them that we worked there and weren't robbing the place ! Oh brother...
" Here's another fine mess you got me in to " - Bean

Edited by - Bean on March 18 2003 12:47:39 AM

Bean

USA

Posted - March 18 2003 :  12:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richie, while you at it or when you reply to this, tell me what happened with the fight with our boss at 3R Joe Wessenberger I think his name was or some thing like that, wasn't somebody trying to Choke him and I broke it up, I forgot was it you or me who tried to strangle him and one of us came running in to break up the fight or was it someone else. " My poor demented mind is slowly going " and I do have too much on my mind so it seems I can't remember any thing any more or it comes out in one jumbled mess of random and confused facts...>
Your Scrambled Bean
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

richfed
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - March 18 2003 :  06:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Funny you brought this up, Bean. It was one of the tales I was going to get to ... eventually!

YES! We had microfilm strewn all over the place, looped up over the hanging flourescent fixtures .... everywhere. Wild.

I don't remember that fight ... certainly, it wasn't us. Joe was a great guy.

Remember Sharon & Connie?

Bean

USA

Posted - March 18 2003 :  11:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richie, OK than it mus have been when you weren't there, I think someone else had a fight with Joe and I helped break it up....
and yes I remember Sharon really well, she was a really hysterical...what was her favorite saying? I can't remember it but she had a particular saying she would always say like cool or something to that effect but not that...I remember hanging with her and you in her apt. in Baldwin somewhere...don't remember Connie to well though but I do remember Ray, I think his last name was something like Tienero or close, he was the tech support, Mr fix it guy...
I'm sure you probably can come up with more stories of our working together over there, I know there some other funny ones. - OK how about you telling the story when we had to camp out at then Nationl Forest in North Carloina some where that one time, the tent, the Bears, hitching a ride the next morning, stopping at that diner and what hapenned when we walked in and after got our food...
I know you will remember this one ! - your Bean

DINK
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - March 18 2003 :  8:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich-
Do you remember the time me,you,and Butch went on strike at Ambico?
We locked ourselves in your station wagon and wouldn't come out until
they gave us a 10 cent / hr raise. Roy (remember him the old preacher
who worked there p/t he was a great guy) was our negotiator. After
two hours of TENSE negotiations we won out! Four dollars an hour more
per week!! We stood our ground, and did not back down!!!

Cottonmouth
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - March 18 2003 :  11:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What year did you guys work at 3R Microfilm? I worked there in 1972 to 73 and met my ex-wife Carol there.

"...sorry, have to go now, it's time to give Mother her sponge bath!"

Bean

USA

Posted - March 18 2003 :  11:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou-
I think it was in 71'or 72 when we worked at 3R, maybe Richie can confirm this, Neil the Foch also worked there later on for a while, were you there when he was there?...

and Dink, you Richie and Doofus locked in a care...now there's a sight...! Bean

richfed
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - March 19 2003 :  05:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, man ... what a bunch of stories!!!

Bean ... the NC stories will be another thread one of these days. They deserve that!!!

Oh yes, Susan Dubrow at the diner in that tight, short black waitress dress with the white trim ... No, I don't remember that at all!!

Cottonmouth Lou - Frank worked there a lot longer than I did. I was there 2 times ... once in the spring of 1972, earning money for a hitchiking cross-country trip Butch & I were planning ... then, I got my job back in late '72-early '73, I think it was.

Dink! Roy was a pisser! I remember going to one of his sermons one Sunday. A blast! Ambico, bullet belts ... strikes! We were something! I still have a numb tip of my left middle finger from that place. Got it caught in one of the machines that punched holes in leather belts. Still have some of the fabric I saved from there, too! I used to sit there, working, and as the hours went by, I'd be tabulating how many albums I could buy at Sam Goody's come the weekend ... those were the days!

Rich

What a long, strange trip it's been!

Bean

USA

Posted - March 19 2003 :  06:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richie
I think the NC stories could be a book but then again all these stories could...don't forget the one about when we were at Anna Bannana Bit Tits Tuttles house or was it Courtney's and I was tripping and got the keys to your Car the infamous " Lola " mobile Falcon station wagon and was reving up the engine in the back of the house and came flying up the driveway to the street and almost had the car airborne over the hump at the top of the driveway....
Bean...>where there is never a dull moment
and then there was our friendly Dudely D0-Right Park ranger...!

" almost cut my hair, happened just the other day "...and do you remember the Hendrix song " Freedom "...to this day I think of the Lenoir County Jail every time I hear that song...!!!

richfed
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - March 19 2003 :  07:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Regarding Lola up the driveway at 90MPH, on acid:

Bean, if I'm not mistaken, that might be one of the times I checked on my composure, calmly rose, and said, in a rather low-key fashion:

FONGULADAMOMADAMAGHINGADAGOTS!!!!!!!!
Frank, I'm gonna kill you!!!!!!

Seems I remember something like that!

Rich

What a long, strange trip it's been!

Bean

USA

Posted - March 19 2003 :  4:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richie -
I seem to remember you saying those exact words as only you can say it! In fact just reading it here I can almost hear them in my head!
Uh Oh, must be those acid induced flash backs !
or in the words of the imortatal David Peel and the Lower East Side,
" LSD Got a Hold on Me " ...your Bean Frankie

elena
Into the 60's

Posted - March 20 2003 :  12:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit elena's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also worked at 3R Microfilm, but don't remember when, only that the boss, cannot remember his name, was an asshole - he had a one-way mirror so you never knew when he was watching you, and I sat next to someone who made me laugh all the time and we were always afraid we were going to get fired, because we were always cracking up. KatCoconut mentioned Joe Greco - is that the guy that went out with Doreen Siracusan who also went out with Eddie Abramowitz and does anyone know where she's at?

Elena Pascuzzi Corsi

Bean

USA

Posted - March 20 2003 :  12:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't the Alessi Brothers form another band after the Cream sound alike band Sound Congragation ( which opened up for FTW at the Green band shell once )broke up called Photomaker that released two albums on Atlantic records with Dino Dinelli from the Young Rascals on drums ? As for CottonMouth that was supposed to be band by 2 of the ex FTW members Jimmy Doc and Louis Dolci but correct me if I am wrong Lou or Doc, never got off the ground right? Kat I didn't know Phil or Mike Curtis at least by name anyway, maybe if I saw them? btw Kat do you know where Bob Carapezza is today, or what he is doing? His old friend and Tree bandmate Ben Daidone wanted to know. Remember Tree, which I think started out with Ben Daidone on bass, Peter Holtz & Joe Greco on Guitar, and Bob Carapezza on Drums..., I can remember the first time I saw them at the Green and they did an amazing cover of Cat Squirell the instrumental off the first Jethro Tull album " This Was "...
and Kat do you or Ricky remember or know the Band Crystal Baloon that had the amazing Mario on Guitar in it, and possibly Guy Peritore too. guy went on to play with Elephants Memory and left tem just as they became John Lennon's new back up band, he moved out to LA and Joined the Motels right around the time " Only the Lonely " became a hit...I played with Guy, the Alessi brothers, and Mario a couple of times during some infamous jam sessions, I think your husband even jammed with us in my parents garage once or twice, ask him? as for who the us was, well it could have been anybody from parts of FTW, & Finger, to anybody since at any given time any one who was anyone in the Valley Stream music scene probably stopped by my garage to play...I think Richie may still have some of the infamous tapes of some of those sessions, including are Inna Gadda Divida length versions of 2 minute Kinks
songs with pete Holtz or Jerry Pennolino...> Bean

and then there was the band Human Rice who also opened for an FTW Green show and did an amazing cover of the MC5's " Kick out the Jams!

Edited by - Bean on March 20 2003 12:19:49 AM

Bean

USA

Posted - March 20 2003 :  12:23:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Elena, it seems like everyone worked at 3R at one time or another !!! I think the big boss or owner was Fred something or other and he was an asshole I agree !
I don't remember Joe going out with Doreen but any thing is possible...we all got around a bit too much in those days of " Sex, Drugs & Rock n Roll "...>

FranK

moonhaze9
Still A Babe

Posted - March 22 2003 :  6:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow...Krystal Balloon!! Phenominal band with a horrible name. (I think) That was Mario Defransesco on rhythm guitar,(the amazing lead guitarist)Thomas, Steve Nodo...(whose basement had more equipment than Sam Ash, Ticky on drums (A major influence on me)... Lovely guy, also played bagpipes real well.... and their lead singer's name I never knew. I was very fortunat to play with them in Steve Nodo's basement a few times. Very intimidating. Then Mario and I started playing together in my basement. We became good friends and he used tolet me drive his huge Lincoln Continental before I had a liscense. Very trusting. They introduced me to all this British/Folk/stuff like Richard Thompson and Sandy Denny...Fairport Convention... Dando Shaft...etc... Great folks.

The Tree that I remember best was Peter on Guitar, Daidone on Bass and the legendary A.J. Petillo on drums. Awesome!! And their Cat's Squirrel WAS Incredable. (Hey..where is the spell check on this thing??)
Years later I played drums with Tree with Ben on Guitar and Jeff Rubinstein on Bass. I think I replaced the lovely Bob Carapezza.
When they asked me to join the band... I remember Rubinstein being very concerned that I might be gay. I think he wouldn't have played with me if I were. I should have smacked him. That would have proved it I guess. sorry

Cottonmouth
Into the 60's

USA

Posted - March 22 2003 :  6:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moonhaze9: I remember Krystal Balloon and Mario as well. What ever happened to Mario? A very unique individual. I always enjoyed spending time with him. It was always an adventure! PS: Rubenstein was obsessed with the whole gay thing. I remember that too about him. He asked me as well during the whole "Gus and..." thing. He said "It's OK with me if you are...just don't touch me!" I laughed or something at him.

"...sorry, have to go now, it's time to give Mother her sponge bath!"

doc
Into the 60's

Posted - March 23 2003 :  12:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Send doc an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cottonmouth

Moonhaze9: I remember Krystal Balloon and Mario as well. What ever happened to Mario? A very unique individual. I always enjoyed spending time with him.

Mario has lived out on LI , (Shirly area)since the mid 70's. I saw him about a year ago. I just posted a photo of him this AM.

Edited by - doc on March 23 2003 12:19:35 AM

Artangus
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - March 23 2003 :  09:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Artangus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I still can remember the great way that Tommy played his guitar like the great Jeff Beck, and he was the person that got me started playing his records. He also got me into Fairport and Richard Thompson and Sandy Denny, and I can still remember going with Jerry to the Fillmore East to see Jeff Beck with Rod Stewart on Vocals... That brings me back to the first time I went to the Fillmore to see the great Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, they were top billing that night, the band that played first was Chicago Transit Authority later they called them Chicago. Second billing was Buddy Miles Express.... I went with Bruce (buggy) to see the Who on a Sunday show they were un real.. Then there was the night I was going to see Jimmy Hendrix on New Years Eve with Tommy Lieber that was the nite we lost each other over some pot and we both missed the show! (that is a whole other story) Any one out there have any good storys about the Fillmore or My Fathers Place in Roslyn.. I must have travled to the fillmore more the a dozen times each time crazyer then the next!

Live Free Or Die!

Edited by - Artangus on March 23 2003 09:37:58 AM

Bean

USA

Posted - March 23 2003 :  11:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Art, I think I was also supposed to be going with you and Tommy to the Filmore to see Hendrix & the Band of Gypies on New Yeare Eve...I know someone had a tik for me like 3rd or 4th row center and for some unknown reason to me I didn't go, and I kick myself every time I think of missing that legendary show...in the past two years I have been at shows one by Pearl Jam and One by Patti Smith where in the middle of one of their own songs they went in to part of " Machine Gun " from that Hendrix New Years Eve show...
and A.J. Petillo...now there's a blast from the past, I forgot his older ( and meaner ) big brothers name who worked in their family's butcher shop on Merrick Rd? I had forgotton that he was in the original Tree formation...and Arthur sooner or later I'll get around to posting some of my Filmore and Fathers place experiences...Frank

PS..although I liked Fairport Convention a lot I have yet to aquire a taste for Richard Thompson although I end up seeing him a lot beacuse Andrea is a big fan of his...
One song I like alot is the one about the Black Vincent motorcyle...maybe that's why I like Arlo ...
" I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle " btw Arlo and Dylan were amazing at the Newport Folk Festival last summer !

Edited by - Bean on March 23 2003 11:24:24 AM

moonhaze9
Still A Babe

Posted - March 23 2003 :  12:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah...I knew A.J.'s brother Willy. He was also a drummer and played with Jack Patti Band... or Deerfield Conway. Hey.. where is Jack Patti?? I remember Doc getting me into some weird musical stuff with Jack. (I went willingly actually).
Anyway.... here I am in New Hampshire.... just a few towns over from Deefield... and a few hours from Conway. Everytime I see the sign on the interstate that says Deerfield-Conway.... I am reminded of the great Jack Patti Band...with Steven Godfrey was it? Sal played keyboards... hmmmmm 'scuse me while I kiss this guy

Bean

USA

Posted - March 23 2003 :  4:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeffrey, thanks for sharing those memories, I remember Jack and his band with Steve and Willie, some really vivid memories ! Jack was seling Real Estate for a while in the mid to late 70's, somehwhere on Long Beach Road in Oceanside I think. Wasn't Jack Patti and John Urgo cousins, that's how I think I knew what Jack was doing, I use to run in to Urgo now and then.
OK Jeff now what was the name of Joe Piazza's band? Remember Joe was the drummer, I can't even recall who else was in it, but I use to go to some of their practices.at Joes Garage...Frank (Zappa )

Edited by - Bean on March 23 2003 4:35:25 PM

doc
Into the 60's

Posted - March 23 2003 :  4:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Send doc an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bean

now what was the name of Joe Piazza's band?

"The Velvet Experience"

Artangus
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - March 23 2003 :  5:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Artangus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
DOC HOW DO YOU REMEMBER THIS STUFF?????

Live Free Or Die!

Edited by - Artangus on March 23 2003 5:41:05 PM

Bean

USA

Posted - March 23 2003 :  8:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Doc how do you?
Was that the only name his band used I seem to remember there being another? Beano

doc
Into the 60's

Posted - March 23 2003 :  8:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Send doc an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bean

Yeah, Doc how do you?
Was that the only name his band used I seem to remember there being another? Beano

Joe played drums with Wes Houston in the mid 70's also.

ElenaR
Still A Babe

USA

Posted - March 27 2003 :  01:02:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc, I too am amazed at your incredible memory. I have alot of the same memories of the bands etc that you do. I just don't have all the doors open, it takes an outside force to open them. I think you wrote everything down back then for future references, good, bad OR embarrassing. Elena
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Head Shop Topic Next Topic: RICHIES NEW PHOTO ALBUM PHOTOS  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Google Search

Search for: