The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/28/2024 7:21:57 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AGAINST ALL ODDS MESSAGE BOARD - Mohicans Version
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Indian Memorial At Little Bighorn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Big Horn Topic Next Topic: Responsibility at Little Bighorn  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 27 2003 :  06:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It was a long time coming, but it looks like the Indian Memorial at Little Bighorn was finally unveiled! This Denver Post Article has the details, along with a photo.

In the sidebar entitled, "On The Web," one of the links is to my Little Bighorn photos on the "Against All Odds" site!
report to moderator

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 27 2003 :  08:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Rich!

Claude was listening to NPR yesterday and they were talking about this. He said they placed a "spirit crack" in the monument so that the Native American spirits and the spirtis from the 7th Calvary could mingle. They also said that Russell Means was against this because he didn't feel they should "mingle"....or something to that effect. Did anyone else hear this?

Theresa
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Bhist
Lost in the Wilderness

July 15 2003

Posted - July 15 2003 :  04:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa

Hey Rich!

Claude was listening to NPR yesterday and they were talking about this. He said they placed a "spirit crack" in the monument so that the Native American spirits and the spirtis from the 7th Calvary could mingle. They also said that Russell Means was against this because he didn't feel they should "mingle"....or something to that effect. Did anyone else hear this?

For complete coverage of the Indian Memorial Dedication including a tour of the memorial and the explanation of the "Spirit Gate" and what Russell Means said please visit my website www.friendslittlebighorn.com

Thanks,
Bob
www.friendslittlebighorn.com
www.vonsworks.com

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 15 2003 :  06:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting the link, Bob!

I heartily recommend that you all pay a visit to this site ... remarkable pictures of the Memorial, so appropriately named! There's always much talk of the ghosts of Little Bighorn; well this Memorial is stunning in that regard.

And Russell, well, what can you say - Means Is Means!

Bhist
Lost in the Wilderness

July 15 2003

Posted - July 15 2003 :  1:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Friends of the Little Bighorn's website is currently down due to hardware problems at the host server. If you do attempt to link to it and are not able to get in, please try again later.

Thanks,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 17 2003 :  06:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Has anybody followed this link? You should! A most unique memorial adds to the already unique mystique of the Little Bighorn Battlefield. Truly magnificent!

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 17 2003 :  07:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've followed it, Rich. I wonder how it felt to see the American Indians in full battle regalia come riding in on horseback? I would imagine quite chilling. This is really beautiful country. I would love to see it first hand. hmmm...think it might be time to pull out the CSPAN tape from a couple of years ago.

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 17 2003 :  08:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes! I have too. (When it was back online.)

I would like to thank Mr. Reece for posting the link for us. I would also like to compliment him on a very, very well done website. I am anxious for the live webcam to be back online as well! I am still exploring the pages, and haven't found the above-mentioned quote from Mr. Means. Can anyone direct me to the proper page?

The Memorial is amazing, and must be incredibly moving to see in person. Someday I hope to get to this site.

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 17 2003 :  10:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW, when you click on the above link, scroll down at the very bottom where it tells you to "click here" for information on the memorial dedication. Then, Mr. Means's remarks are futher down on that page...I think...can't get it to come up today.

Theresa

Bhist
Lost in the Wilderness

July 15 2003

Posted - August 03 2003 :  4:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Yes! I have too. (When it was back online.)

I would like to thank Mr. Reece for posting the link for us. I would also like to compliment him on a very, very well done website. I am anxious for the live webcam to be back online as well! I am still exploring the pages, and haven't found the above-mentioned quote from Mr. Means. Can anyone direct me to the proper page?

The Memorial is amazing, and must be incredibly moving to see in person. Someday I hope to get to this site.

I just now found these nice comments about the Friends' website posted and I sure thank everyone for them and also for taking the time to visit the website. I'm very pleased that you all are enjoying it. I still have to post the segments on the Memorial regarding the Unknown Warrior marker and the Tuesday evening reception. I've just been busy with personal stuff that I haven't had time. Please stay tuned and, again, thank you to everyone for checking the website out.

Thanks,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - December 23 2006 :  3:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi ya'll,

I visited the Custer Battlefield Memorial in the summer of 2004 when I made a "sidetrip" while following the Lewis and Clark Trail to Fort Clatsop in Washington state; Merriwether Lewis being a white family member of mine. The Custer field of battle is a place where ghosts of the battle seem to still be present. It is quiet except for the wind that seems to blow constantly. You know that you are in a place where many died. There is a reverance about the place, the same as at Gettysburg. Fortunately, there is now a memorial to the Native American people who fought there, at this battlefield. It was quite windy out there. It pretty much appears the same as it did during the battle. There isn't much for milesaround this place, just a trading post on the highway below the battlefield. Our Algonkin speaking Shiela (Cheyenne) brothers were involved in this altercation with Custer's Seventh Cavalry. I sprinkled tobacco into the wind which blew it across the Native American memorial. I did the same for the cavalry soldiers who fell here. Although the gravestones are located where each individual soldier fell, they are all buried in a common grave at the top of the hill under the large obelisk (Col. Custer is buried at West Point Military Academy). I honored the warriors on both sides of this fight. All were too young to have had their lives end in such a manner. I recommend this site to all who may pass this way on their trips west. Indians are now speakers and guides, and get to tell their side of this battle. Unless you know both sides of history, it is not "history" at all.

Ken Lonewolf / Kispokotha Shawnee

Ken Lonewolf

joseph wiggs
Colonial Settler

USA

January 12 2005

Posted - January 06 2007 :  4:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have been to the field on two prior occasions. My wife and I plan on returning this April. Yes, their is a reverence and sadness that permeates every tree, ravine, and blade of grass there. As you say, truth can not hope to be discovered until we acknowledge and recognize the value of both "sides" of the story.

I believe that we may intuitively sense the loss of life and, deep remorse of the families of the Indian dead that lingers upon the field in the very air of this hollowed ground. Mingled within this aura are the melancholy remnants of the specters of the desolate troopers who also died, without ever seeing their loved ones again.
  Previous Topic: Big Horn Topic Next Topic: Responsibility at Little Bighorn  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.23 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07