The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/17/2024 4:56:53 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The GREAT MOHICAN GATHERINGS
 Gathering Gossip & Ganders [?]
 The 2004 Mohican Gathering - Briefly: Day By Day
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Favorite 2004 Gathering event Topic Next Topic: Sprits on the River poll (pt.2)
Page: of 4

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 21 2004 :  03:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This one really has to be brief because I'm on my way out - insanely - to greet the sun ... if she decides to make an appearance!

StudiGroup President, Carter Ard [first-timer], gets Wes Studi on a cell phone from the Top of the Falls. Wes answered, was his usual cordial self, and we all managed to whoop & holler in the background.

Interesting.

All's gone fine, so far. No casualties, yet ... Here I go.
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 21 2004 :  08:05:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How cool is that!?!?!?!

We're whoopin' and hollerin' here in Mohicanland too! Can you hear us?
Woooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 21 2004 :  9:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wilderness Woman,
So sorry you couldn't whoop and holler with us in person. Carter's phone call to Wes was surely a highlight of the Chimney Rock trail. So far we've had some new experiences along with our more familiar, expected ones. Sunday at Chimney Rock was very hot and strenuous but it's always nice to hear Rich point out all the film spots. In the afternoon we went to Pisgah National Forest to see the Elk Hunt area, part of tracking the war party, and other bit pieces. So far the weather was cooperating...
Until today! The skies were clear as I left Asheville about 4:30 am but up on the Parkway it was very foggy. The sunrise was not exactly spectacular but it did peek through a bit. The Sweetsers, in their usual display of style, whipped out a table, chairs, lace tablecoth, cloth napkins, candles, and goodies for all! How did they get all that on the plane? And what did the people in the nearby camper think of us rowdy, hollerin' people lighting candles at sunrise on Summer Solstice??!!!

The Linville area was beautiful as always but we did get rained on. That never dampens a Mohican Gathering though, especially with Soldier #2 along giving us his account of the filming in that area.
Tomorrow the gang goes to Biltmore Estate!
I'll try to update as I can so you all can track our progress. As with every Gathering I have attended, this one has a unique flavor all its own, and while we all LOVE meeting our new Gatherers (we actually picked up a new one who tracked us down), and it is wonderful to see old friends, we do miss those of you who wanted to come but couldn't.
Stephanie

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 22 2004 :  12:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For those who didn't go to Lake James, well, you should have. Eric continued his guided tour where he left off at Linville. That really should be on tape!

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2004 :  01:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings from PHOENIX!

Y'ALL ARE KILLIN' ME!!!!!

I suppose I shouldn't complain about floating on a lazy river all afternoon, or drinking Jose Cuervo Especial Margaritas by the pool with MISTERS EVERYWHERE!....Uh, misters as in Misty Mates, not Mr.'s. The outdoor shopping centers have them, the hotel has them EVERYWHERE (from the ground, from the air, from the trees...). HEY! THEY STOLE MY IDEA!!!!!

If I ever hear anyone say the heat in Arizona is DRY HEAT - so you don't feel it...I may clock them!

Caitlin - sorry to not have planned better and have met up with you and Jeff. I would have LOVED to see those babies in person! There'll be other opportunites!

Steph - you all have fun and Cece and I'll catch up with you on the river!!!

GG

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 22 2004 :  06:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
DAY TWO:

Well, as Steph described, here's the visual:

Mary, Kathie, Karen, Jo - The Sweetser 4

Only at a Mohican Gathering!

As for me, not sure just how complete my accounts will be. I very well may have to bow out of some of the planned festivities. I am emotionally spent and am feeling the physical affects. Not sure if it's a psychological thing or what, but my usual allergy symptoms are turning into an almost claustrophobic-type feeling ... smothering. The high humidity isn't helping. Hard to hike - even converse - when you cannot breathe. I fear being too far from the refreshing effects of air conditioning!

I have a couple of doctor appointments next week. Maybe I'll get put on the psycho-ward.

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2004 :  10:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow, it's so wonderful to read your accounts! Please keep it up as we live vicariously through them!

It's great to see the Sweetsers! Tell them we miss them!

Rich, take care of yourself - no need to wear yourself out.

GG - it would have been great to meet up with you too! Next time you're coming out, definitely give us a call!

Everyone, be safe!
Caitlin

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - June 22 2004 :  5:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey everybody!!! Wow what an awesome time!!! I just wish I could have stayed longer! As I told Rich, I just couldn't keep pace with the group and had to go home. I'm going to start a regimen of sleep deprivation and strenuous hiking so I will be ready next year! ROFL! No seriously, family obligations beckoned. I am bowled over by the friendliness and kindness of the group. Ya'll made me feel so welcome and I am so VERY impressed with the fundraising efforts and just at how well run the gathering is. Theresa, a special thank you to you for taking me under your wing. Kate and Christina, I enjoyed our time together. Ya'll are fun roomies! Stephanie, it was great to meet Magua's number 1 fan! Thanks for letting me use your cell phone.

Well, ya'll are probably getting ready for the concert now. Waaaaaa! I wish I was there! Hopefully the "seven foot man" will appear! If so, take pictures, ya hear??? ROFL!

Love,
Carter

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 23 2004 :  09:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Day Three:

Part of the group at Bass Pond Bridge, Biltmore Estate ... this day went off without a hitch!

Laying low today, which means I am missing one of my favorite events, the whitewater rafting. Steph called late last night to ask if Lady Ann was signed up. I mistakenly said, "yes." Not. [I realized this morning when I checked the roster] So, since I was "ill" anyway, I figured I'd stay home and let Ann ride in my stead.

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - June 23 2004 :  09:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So,whose who in these photos as I am not sure of what a few of your firsts name are.

www.alamosentry.com

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - June 23 2004 :  3:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
FROM WES STUDI:

The call to Alb. was a great surprise. I enjoyed it mucho!! In fact,
it was the morning after the reunion and I had taken a little walk
around the plaza when you rang. Great Idea!! Be well. We are on our way
to Alb. for a premiere of Thief of Time
this evening. Hope to hear good news about when we will shoot more of
the Mysteries. More later. Wes

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 24 2004 :  12:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw that Thief of Time will be on PBS in July. I think it is sometime around the 18th.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 24 2004 :  07:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just a quick update and then it's off to Cherokee! Sorry to miss you yesterday, Rich. The river was ROUGH with more water than 2 years ago but still a lot of work to get past all the rocks. The guides were excellent and engaged in more than one river rescue (with ropes, not a musket) but I shan't name names! We were lucky to dodge the rain until after 2pm, and then it didn't matter anyway because we were all soaking wet anyway. Overall a great trip with beautiful scenery!
Now we're off to Cherokee today, which should be much less strenuous!
Steph

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 24 2004 :  08:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've gotta be quick, too!!!

Someone else will have to describe & post pics about Day 4!

Here's a couple more from previous days:

Tracking the War Party

Joanne Shenandoah at Spirits on the River

Lots more, of course, but ... off to Cherokee! Sorry to have missed the River, myself, Steph!

April57
Lost in the Wilderness

Magua 2
Czech Republic

July 23 2002

Posted - June 24 2004 :  3:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am following the quick report from the gathering and you had really nice time. Carter, the picture of you calling Wes is great!!!
I may come to a Mohican gathering one day too when I retire and have more time LOLOL.
Marie (from the Wes's board)

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 24 2004 :  10:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Finally, today, I went to Joanne Shenandoah's website and listened to some bits of her music. I am very impressed! Her voice is lovely and the music is hauntingly beautiful. Think I'm going to have to purchase a CD.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 25 2004 :  12:10:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have to agree with you about Joanne's music, it really is hauntingly beautiful. Her stage presence is awesome as well.

Thanks for the pics, Rich! I'll give a quick update for Thursday... it was Cherokee Day! Thanks to a terrific group effort and lots of flexibility and patience, it all went well. We started the day with a tour of the museum, then after lunch we visited the Oconaluftee Indian Village. We had a little extra time to shop, then back to the museum for a home-cooked dinner by Cherokee ladies. Following dinner, museum archivist Bo Taylor treated us to an excellent talk, which was spiced with dance and music. We all even got to dance a "friendship dance" at the end. As much as no one wanted Bo's presentation to end, it was time to head for the theater for the drama "Unto These Hills." So here it is midnight and I've arrived home much earlier, I'm sure, than the folks heading back to Chimney Rock.
Tomorrow, we're officially back "on the trail" to Mohicanland. We'll visit Dupont State Forest (and all those beautiful waterfalls) then we'll meet at the theater to watch The Movie, AND to meet our special guests!
Will update you later,
Stephanie

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 25 2004 :  07:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For April57, another pic of Carter - this time, I managed to sneak my way in!

And, another semi-group shot in the fog [anyone remember 1999?] of Table Rock:

Sorry, Wade [and others] names will have to wait!

DAY FIVE:

And, from yesterday in the Cherokee Museum:

Ros, our Huron Harpie!

As Steph so aptly put it to me the other day in an E-mail, this is the ala carte Gathering ... for me, as well. Bits & pieces, here & there ...

April57
Lost in the Wilderness

Magua 2
Czech Republic

July 23 2002

Posted - June 26 2004 :  01:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Rich for another picture of Carter. And for having an idea how the Sachem Rich looks like LOL

Anyway, from all the pics I can see your Mohican gatherings are blasts!!! Go Mohicans Go!

Marie :-)

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - June 26 2004 :  07:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the pic, Rich! I love it!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 26 2004 :  07:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
DAY SIX:

Considering the weather track record for the past couple of months - rain; lots of rain! - and the weather forecast - rain; lots of rain! [flood watch yesterday] - we could have had it much worse.

It did rain "a bit" during our waterfall tour at Dupont State Forest, but hey, water is water, right?!? Cool, anyway. Lots of wandering about by isolated - and lost - Gatherers in the mist. Water level on the Little River was exceptionally high. The power of the falls incredible ...

Anyway ...

At night, at the Skyland, PHD Michael Williams made his presentation, Soldier #2 was in his red uniform, the theater was pretty much packed, the movie was its usual spectacular self [man, it sure does look good on the big screen], there was no rain inside the cool theater, and, Russell Means sat among us and addressed the group before & after. All-in-all, a very fine evening. Wish you were there!

Christina accepts her prize bundle - yes, the winner! - from Mr. Chingachgook

Today, the weatherman is promising a little improvement ... the Games must go on!

vincent
Pioneer

Calvin
USA

May 20 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 26 2004 :  11:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For the benefit of those who were not at Chimney Rock on Day 1 - Carter had repeated out loud what Wes Studi said "Magua understands English!".

Rumor is that if you bribe Stephanie with enough Brandy and Wampum you just might get the area code to Wes Studi's direct number. Good luck to y'all prying it from her.

Vincent

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 26 2004 :  7:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by vincent

For the benefit of those who were not at Chimney Rock on Day 1 - Carter had repeated out loud what Wes Studi said "Magua understands English!".

Rumor is that if you bribe Stephanie with enough Brandy and Wampum you just might get the area code to Wes Studi's direct number. Good luck to y'all prying it from her.

Vincent

Stephanie is a smart one! We all wish we could have loaned our cell phones to Carter!

Congrats to Red! The photo is awesome!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 26 2004 :  9:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well Vincent if you want to talk rumors and bribes, perhaps I need to mention our dear lovely Debby's letter "V" that is carved into her arm? Eh?

Seriously, are you two home already? I was only at the Games a short time today and I missed seeing you two and wasn't sure if you were still around or what. Hope you had a safe trip home.

Okay, for those who weren't around, besides the phone call to Wes Studi there was a little more excitement at the top of the falls at Chimney Rock. Debby had an accidental run-in with a hatchet, and the incident somehow left her with a letter "V" carved into her arm. V as in Vincent! Coincidence? I think not! I took a picture but it wasn't digital so I can't share it yet. And apparently I can be bribed....

Great to see you both again!
Steph

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 27 2004 :  11:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
DAY SEVEN:

Seven? Did we actually have SEVEN days?

A very, very, very fine end to a week full of Gathering in Mohicanland ...

A great meal prepared mostly by Diana S. & Dale Wasson ... some super music by the String Beings ... including their renditions of "The Gael" & "Ashokan Farewell" AND stories from their days as LOTM dancers & extras ... not even a single drop of rain [perhaps that was best of all] ... great company ... some fun shootin' and runnin' and throwin' ... raffles & prizes galore ... and Russell & Pearl Means just hung out among us.

Very fine!

L-R: Soldier #2's Stand-in [his son, Matthew], Marc Harbison, John Harkins, Stan Golden, Cherie Harbison, Russell Means, Ann Colby, Fitz Williams, Rich Federici, Ros Haddon

Thanks to everyone for being there. It was a week in which I was able, believe it or not, to forget ... just a little.

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - June 27 2004 :  6:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
SO glad to hear that you had decent weather for the Mohican Games. We've had an absolutely gorgeous weekend up here in Pa., and I've been thinking of you. Yesterday and today the sky has been positively Carolina blue, and it just wouldn't be fair if you didn't have the same!
Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Favorite 2004 Gathering event Topic Next Topic: Sprits on the River poll (pt.2)  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.83 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07