The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/23/2024 7:44:14 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 Cooper's Corner
 Cooper's Ghosts: The Sullivan/Clinton Campaign & C's Intro to the Pioneers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Differences with the novel and film Topic Next Topic: Favorite non-Leatherstocking NA character  

sullivan
Lost in the Wilderness

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 24 2004

Posted - January 07 2005 :  10:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit sullivan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cooper, the boy, was haunted by Indian artifacts he discovered and tales he'd heard about the Sullivan-Clinton Campaign that was launched from Glimmerglass itself. He wrote about it in his super intro to The Pioneers. G. Washington ordered it to uproot the Iroquois during the Am Rev. Today, there's my award-winning website at www.sullivanclinton.com and an amazing 11-scene animated MapSet at www.sullivanclinton.com/mapset/shell.swf. Jump in, learn a lot, and buy the MapSet for any PC or Mac. In this 230th anniversary year of the Revolution, learn about Sullivan/Clinton and its impact on the Iroquois. How does an event this important stay so off the radar screen?!

sullivanclinton.com
report to moderator

hmacdougall
Pathfinder

general montcalm
USA

June 30 2003

Posted - January 07 2005 :  11:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They are indeed excellent websites, but I am not aware of any evidence that young Cooper collected Indian artifacts or had any special knowledge/interest in the Clinton/Sullivan Campaign. He might well have, growing up in Cooperstown, but might have is not evidence. If there is such evidence I should be delighted to hear about it. Hugh MacDougall

Hugh MacDougall
James Fenimore Cooper Society
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 07 2005 :  11:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mr. Spiegelman,

I have previously visited your website, and it is a very interesting one. However, it is really only necessary, not to mention acceptable, to post your advertisement one time in one thread, not in three or four.

Living quite near Newtown Battlefield State Park, I can assure you that this important event is, indeed, well placed "on the radar screen." It has been much discussed among the re-enacting community, and if I recall correctly, even here on these boards.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

sullivan
Lost in the Wilderness

November 24 2004

Posted - January 08 2005 :  12:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit sullivan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear Wilderness Woman,
I duly note your objection to my multiple postings. It's my first time posting here and now I know. As for "the radar screen" I can assure you that Sullivan/Clinton is barely known outside parts of western new york and needs to be on a bigger radar screen. It's not proprietary or local. It's everyone's history and has enduring lessons.

sullivanclinton.com

sullivan
Lost in the Wilderness

November 24 2004

Posted - January 08 2005 :  12:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit sullivan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hugh,
I appreicate your reply. Please look over Cooper's 1832 Introduction to The Pioneers, especially pages 7-8 in the Penguin Classics edition (1988). It's intriguing and is evidence of his interest in Sullivan/Clinton that is well worth sifting.

quote:
Originally posted by hmacdougall

They are indeed excellent websites, but I am not aware of any evidence that young Cooper collected Indian artifacts or had any special knowledge/interest in the Clinton/Sullivan Campaign. He might well have, growing up in Cooperstown, but might have is not evidence. If there is such evidence I should be delighted to hear about it. Hugh MacDougall

sullivanclinton.com
  Previous Topic: Differences with the novel and film Topic Next Topic: Favorite non-Leatherstocking NA character  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.22 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07