The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/5/2024 6:19:30 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AGAINST ALL ODDS MESSAGE BOARD - Mohicans Version
 The Alamo - 1836
 Lt. Colonel William Barret Travis' "Victory or Death" Letter Color Prints
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Crockett Drawing! Topic Next Topic: Remember....  

James1836
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
January 17 2005

Posted - January 17 2005 :  12:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit James1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Lt. Colonel William Barret Travis famous "Victory or Death" letter from the Battle of the Alamo has been printed for the first time in the history of Texas in its exact size and in four color format. In addition, the Texas Declaration of Independence as been reproduced full size and in color. Information, on these historic new Prints is available at http://www.freedomdocuments.com Historical document Reproduction, Inc., P. O. Box 1021, Jasper, Texas 75951 e-mail at hdr@freedomdocuments.com and Telephone (409) 381-8555
report to moderator

joseph wiggs
Colonial Settler

USA

January 12 2005

Posted - January 17 2005 :  9:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
James 1836, thank you so much for this information. I will be ordering prints!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

James1836
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

January 17 2005

Posted - March 19 2005 :  1:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit James1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Recently, I made a trip to the Texas State History Museum in Austin, Texas. On display in the Alamo Section was a letter from Lt. Colonel William Barret Travis that I had never seen before. Since I print the famous Travis Letter of February 24, 1836 "Victory or Death", I was very interested in the displayed Letter of Travis dated February 13, 1836. My firm, Historical Document Reproduction, Inc., with Web site http://www.freedomdocuments.com, is moving to produce this important Letter. The Museum in Austin only displays the original with no transcript and I have recently been able to get an accurate transcript from the Museum. I am posting it here for the first time and would appreciate any feed back. To my knowledge this letter has never before been placed on any Web site.

Bexar. Feby 13th 1836-

To His Excellency Henry Smith,

Dear Sir, I wrote you an official letter last night
as Comdt of this post in the absence of Col. Neill & if you had taken
the trouble to answer my letter from Burnam's, I should not now have
been under the necessity of troubling you - My situation is truly awk-
ward & delicate - Col Neil left me in command - but wishing to give
satisfaction to the volunteers here & not wishing to assume any command voer them I issued an order for the election of an officer to command them with the exception of one company of volunteers that had previously engaged to serve under me. Bowie was elected by two small company's; & since his election he has been roaring drunk all the time; has assumed all command - & is proceeding in a most disorderly & irregular manner - interfering with private property, releasing prisoners sentenced by court martial & by the civil court & turning everything topsy turvy - If I did not feel my honor & that my country compromitted I would have {left} here instantly for some other point with the troops under my command - as I am unwilling to be responsible for the drunken irregularities of any man. I hope that you will immediately order some regular troops to this place - as it is more important to occupy this post than I imagined when I last saw you - It is the key of Texas from the Interior without a footing here the enemy can do nothing against us in the Colonies now that our coast is guarded by armed vessels - I do not solicit the command of this post but as Col. Neill has applied to the Commander in Chief to be relieved & is anxious for me to take the command, I will do it if it be your order for a time until an artillery officer can be sent here. The citizens here have every confidence in me, as they can communicate with me & they have shown every disposition to aid me with all they have - We much need money - Can you not send us some? I read your letter to the troops & made a speech & they received it with acclamation - Our spies have just returned from Rio Grande - The enemy is there one thousand strong & is making every preparation to invade us. By the 15th of March I think Texas will be invaded & every preparation should be made to receive them. E. smith will call on you & give you all the news - so will Mr. Williams, the bearer of this -

In conclusion, allow me to beg that you will give me definite orders immediately -
I have the honor to be {be}
resp.

W. Barret Travis

PS: This is a private letter & is directed to Nibbs for fear it may
fall into bad hands.
Travis

joseph wiggs
Colonial Settler

USA

January 12 2005

Posted - March 19 2005 :  9:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
James think you so much for your efforts. I was unaware of this significant find. Again, thank you.
  Previous Topic: Crockett Drawing! Topic Next Topic: Remember....  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.25 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07