The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/20/2024 4:35:44 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 A Pennsylvania French & Indian War Gathering Poll!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Phineus Cobb - Embedded Journalist Topic Next Topic: F&I War - coffee table book
Page: of 2

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 31 2002 :  6:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
A preliminary feeler - to be left up as an active poll for as long as is necessary.

What do you think of a Pennsylvania, F&I War-related, Gathering offshoot? It might very well include Jumonville Glen, Ft. Necessity, Ft. Duquesne/Ft. Pitt, Braddock's Battlefield, Ft. Ligonier, Kittanning, Bushy Run Battlefield; be centered at Old Bedford Village; and result in a very good time!

Why Pennsylvania? The list above shows why. Along with New York & Quebec, Pennsylvania was the "home" of the F&I War! [not to mention that a probable/possible organizer of such an event lives there!] No dates or time-frame, yet, but ...

Would you come?

Choices:

Wild horses couldn't keep me away!
I would seriously consider it
Maybe - would have to see the specifics
Probably not, but ... ?
Not very likely

report to moderator

Ilse
The Dutch Trader

Weerribben
Netherlands

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 31 2002 :  7:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ilse's Homepage  Send Ilse a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Rich,

Would this be combined somehow in the same time period, or a seperate thing? If it's seperate, I don't think us euro's can do it on account of travel expenses. The flight to the US takes up most of the money. If it can be connected, I'd be interested.

Ilse

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 02 2002 :  2:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds good to me, keep me posted...

Gasaka Soquilla
Pioneer

Duel Heritage
USA

October 17 2002

Posted - October 23 2002 :  11:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gasaka Soquilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
O'Siyo Rich,
sounds like a winner so far, & I'd hope to attend :-)

GasakaSoquilla
a.k.a. Sjt. Scobie
Geneway's Co'y
Butler's Rangers

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2002 :  01:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich, if we do go ahead, what time of year would we be talking about here? My company's schedule is most busy from mid-July to end-September.

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 24 2002 :  05:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For me, personally, I'd like to see it just before, or preferably, just after the Mohican Gathering in June ... That is, if it's in 2003. Or, in the early fall.

If it was to occur INSTEAD of the Mohican Gathering [in another year] ... anytime.

But, that's just my opinion ... Seamus is in charge here!!!

Edited by - richfed on October 24 2002 05:51:43 AM

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2002 :  07:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, we'll have to relay it to Cousin Seamus. I'd vote for early fall of '03 or spring of any other year. I know most of the members of my regiment would probably be interested.

Your Humble Servant,

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

Big Duncan MacLaren
Pathfinder

November 26 2002

Posted - January 07 2003 :  11:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Liste --

I am ALL for a Pennsylvania gathering, BUT...

1) My Spring calendar is filling up FAST; and 2) my 16 year-old would-be-Hawkeye will be working at a BSA camp most of the Summer -- and I know better than to try and go w/o him!

So an autumn date looks attractive to me -- and there is no big Saratoga event to tie up September!

Your servant,
D. MacLaren, Pvt.
77th Grenadiers

wlogwihlas
Pathfinder

Indian Party

September 25 2003

Posted - October 06 2004 :  10:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Send wlogwihlas a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds like a awesome idea. I am the Contact person for Woodland Confederacy, so I would love any info possible. This is the type of event our group likes. wlogwihlas@hotmail.com Walker Brook

hollow square...Now!!!
You probably are wondering why we are all gathered here today.
Look boys, we captured an "it".

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - October 07 2004 :  10:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
could be interesting, theres sites there i've never been to, and i don't know of any major events in
the works in that area, jumonville {early june} is a repeating event, fort pitt and duburque {sp??}
do somthing... definatly an odd year candidate...

Okwaho
Pathfinder

USA

December 24 2004

Posted - January 16 2005 :  12:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Are you talking about an event for reenactors as a living history or a get together of anybody interested in the F&I War and the period ?
Tom Patton

It's great to be an Indian ally of the French.

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - January 22 2005 :  10:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If this ever comes to fruition, I'd be more than glad to take part (see my earlier post of today...seeking F&I sources...) You can't imagine how ridiculous I felt when I discovered all these places I'd been driving by and heard about since I was a toddler (especially Fort Duquesne and the Kittanning area) had direct F&I ties...
another bit of trivia somebody might be able to clear up...was there ever some sort of military installation at what is now Pittsburgh called Fort Pitt? The reason I ask is that both my parents and all of my Pittsburgh-area relatives always used a phrase when telling us that something was over and done with: "That's it--Fort Pitt!" My dad still uses it. South Carolinians looked at us like idiots but it's a great phrase and would love to know where it comes from...

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 22 2005 :  11:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Christina,

That phrase, "That's it! Fort Pitt!" is a catch phrase from an advertisement for Ft. Pitt Beer. The Pittsburgh Brewing Company made/makes Duquesne Pilsner and Iron City Beer. Iron City has lost most of its wonderful flavor, however, since they cleaned up the Monongehela River! (just kidding!)

Just read the other post also....where were your ancestors/relatives from? That might help in determining some good tours for you. Sjt. Munro and I can come up with some things for you, I am sure. Duncan?

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - January 22 2005 :  2:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Seamus! Thanks for the information!!! You've just cleared up a lifelong question! And yes, I'm a long time Iron City fan. Would you believe there are so many Pittsburgh transplants down on our coast where I used to live that many of the bars in Myrtle/North Myrtle Beach have Iron City on tap???
Thanks for offering to help with some touring ideas...we basically have family all OVER the place around Pittsburgh and up into the Johnstown areas, but the primary areas...Dad's parents both are from the McKeesport area, with relatives who lived out in Glassport, East McKeesport, and rural area around Coulters. He also had family in Ligonier. Mom's family hailed mainly from area around Washington County including Burgettstown, Washington, Meadowlands, Langloth, Mcdonald ... but her father's people lived for a long time out near Imperial township outside Pittsburgh and also some were from around Zelionople. Some cousins live in Duquesne.
There are a LOT of us so we pretty much have offshoots just about anywhere you can look!

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2005 :  07:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Christina asked: another bit of trivia somebody might be able to clear up...was there ever some sort of military installation at what is now Pittsburgh called Fort Pitt?

Why yes there was, Christina. Pittsburgh, is the Anglacized form of Pittsboro or 'Fortified Town'. It was the name given to it by General Forbes in November of 1758, the now famous quote of the General, in his writtings to William Pitt, "...I have called this place, Pittsburgh." Fort Pitt was the final fort built at the Forks of the Ohio River (General Wayne's Fort Fayette was located further up the Allegheny River, on Liberty Avenue, near where today stands the Doubltree Hotel). It was also the largest and most advanced British-Built fort in North America. Designed for a garrison of 1,000 men, it would never see that many within its walls. The British occupied it until 1772, when it was turned over to the Colony of Virginia. Virginia occupied it until 1776 (Where it served as a 'Jumping-off' point for Lord Dunmore's War of 1774, against the Shawnee), at which time the Contenental Army (8th Pennsylvania Regiment) assumed command. After the American War of Independence (Circa 1783), Fort Pitt remained one of the only two active U.S. Army forts (West Point was the other) for the greatly reduced force. By the early 1790's, the walls had crumbled in a state of disrepair and the fort was again empty. This, and the site being prone to seasonal flooding, caused General Wayne to build further upriver, in preparation for his 1794 campaign against the Ohio Tribes.

I hope this helps answer your question. As Seamus said, I would be glad to help with giving you a list of 'places to see' here in SW Pennsylvania. If you read my historical-fiction, Fort Pitt plays a fairly sizable part in the drama. I am also writting a non-fiction work, which details the history of Fort Pitt, and the surrounding region.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Jeanneda
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

June 15 2003

Posted - October 24 2005 :  4:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jeanneda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds good to me--fractured my hip Tuesday but so far so good--I think I am registered but I also thought there was only one stair left and there were two! Rich--am I registered?--Joan from CO that has the great Pyrenees dogs--my husband John comes with me.
Joan Lambert

Joan

ellen
Pathfinder

USA

July 25 2002

Posted - November 06 2005 :  02:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi All,
Southern California here. Sorry to say will probably have to pass on get together this summer. The Parker household is on baby-watch. First grandchild and all. Also, my parents are having their 65th wedding anniversary this summer and that means a large family get together. Jill and I had such a wonderful experience that we hate to pass up another chance but it just is not the best timing.
Ellen Parker
EDParker12@aol.com

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - December 26 2005 :  8:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds good to me.I'd be happy to help organize it.

Highlander

redarrow45
Lost in the Wilderness

The Kiss 2
USA

March 01 2006

Posted - March 01 2006 :  09:57:04 AM  Show Profile  Click to see redarrow45's MSN Messenger address  Send redarrow45 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i would love to be there this summer

Scott A Cottom

pasmokepole
Lost in the Wilderness

May 17 2006

Posted - May 17 2006 :  09:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Pennsylvania would be a very good location for the gathering. More specifically, and not included in the list above, would be Fort Le Beouf - where the whole thing began. I don't know if Waterford, Pa would be able to handle any large crowds but nearby Erie (Fort Presque Isle - 20 minutes away) would certainly have accommadations/fairgrounds.

This area is also near Fort Machault/Venango (40 minutes away), and Fort Pitt (1.5 hours away), Fort Niagra (1.5 hours away), and Salamanca,NY (Iroquios Museum - 1 hour away, Kittanning (1.5 hours away). If the gathering were to be timed right, the Seneca Pow Wow in Salamanca is usually the fourth weekend in July. Would be great to include our native allies. Just some thoughts.

Being that this was first posted 4 years ago - I take it this event is not going to solidify.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - May 17 2006 :  11:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Let's not forget that next summer is the 250th anniversary of the French victory at Fort William Henry on the shores of Lac Sacrement. I am sure that there will be a celebration of that event, and I plan to attend that one. Could we think "mini-Gathering" there?

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 17 2006 :  4:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Having just been in Pennsylvania this past weekend and having been to Fort William Henry twice (Fort Ticonderoga once - EXCELLENT fort) I'd be all for a northern gathering.

Now to find a planner.....

GG

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - May 17 2006 :  6:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And speaking of Fort Ticonderoga, or more properly Fort Carillon, one has to think that BIG things will happen there in 2008. This could be another opportunity.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 17 2006 :  9:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by pasmokepole

Pennsylvania would be a very good location for the gathering. More specifically, and not included in the list above, would be Fort Le Beouf - where the whole thing began. I don't know if Waterford, Pa would be able to handle any large crowds but nearby Erie (Fort Presque Isle - 20 minutes away) would certainly have accommadations/fairgrounds.

This area is also near Fort Machault/Venango (40 minutes away), and Fort Pitt (1.5 hours away), Fort Niagra (1.5 hours away), and Salamanca,NY (Iroquios Museum - 1 hour away, Kittanning (1.5 hours away). If the gathering were to be timed right, the Seneca Pow Wow in Salamanca is usually the fourth weekend in July. Would be great to include our native allies. Just some thoughts.

Being that this was first posted 4 years ago - I take it this event is not going to solidify.

Unfortunately,there is more to see and do for F&I in NY rather than PA.All of the sites that I've been to(Forts Ti and Niagara)have been reenactor friendly.I wish that I could say the same for sites in PA.As long as we have a Governor who believes "that there is no money to be made in history" we will continue to be lacking and far behind the other states in tourism.

Highlander

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - October 28 2006 :  2:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Include me "in" for a "French and Indian War Gathering" in Pennsylvania. Or whatever you all come up with!
My Shawnee 4x great-grandfather, Willenawah (Great Eagle), fought with the French at Fort Necessity in 1754, and again at the Battle of the Monongahela in 1755 (the Shawnee would have fought with Gen. Braddock and the British, but Gen. Braddock insultd our Chiefs, so we fought with the French)! Willenawah also fought at Bushy Run against Col. Bouquet and his British forces in Pontiac's Rebellion in 1763 (I have the names of 265 Shawnees who survived this fight, one being a female warrior). Willenwah's wife, Elizabeth Gray, a red-haired, blue-eyed Scot (my 4x great grandmother), was captured in 1755 in western Maryland. During prisoner exchanges, she chose to stay with the Shawnees, was adopted, and became the wife of Willenawah! I wear her Sutherland Clan Scot Highlander sash on my regalia to honor her. Their children remained Shawnees and married within the Shawnees. My maternal grandmother carried their bloodlines.

Another 4x great grandfather was Chief White Peter of the Oneida Nation (late 1700's),of the Iroquois Six Nations. His wife Molly, was of the Seneca Nation. Chief White Peter was a captive white child (John Peter Klingensmith), taken in a raid at eight years of age by the Seneca at Fort Klingensmith (now Jeannette, Pa.), not far from Bushy Run. This was in 1781. He was given to the Oneida to raise, and became the only white chief that the Oneida have ever had. His wife was full blood Seneca. Chief White Peter fought with the British in Canada, against the U.S. in the War of 1812. My mother's father carried these bloodlines.
I attend Klingensmith family reunions in July near Bushy Run Battlefield. Some of us are the "Indian side of the family", and the rest descend from the first white settlers to the western Penna, frontier. Nice that we are no longer looking down gun barrels at each other!

Another of my ancestors, was a four year old white child, Jacob Kneisle, who was captured near Ligonier in about 1785, by the Wyandots (Hurons). He was raised Wyandot near Lake Erie. He had a Wyandot family. His Indian name was "Crow"! During the Indian removals in the 1830's, his family went to Oklahoma Territory, where his descendants still live. They are the Crow and Whitecrow families. They are my cousins.

In 1790, my Shawnee people defeated a U.S. Army under Gen. Harmar. In 1791, we defeated another U.S. Army under Gen. Arthur St, VClair of Ligonier fame.

I now march in the parade at Ligonier every October during Ligonier Days. I am invited by a cousin, Peggy Shepler, who co-ordinates this parade. I enjoy this event every year. I meet a couple of my re-enactor cousins at the fort. I am not a re-enactor, myself! When peole ask if I am a re-enactor, tell them "no, I am a real Shawnee". The incredulous looks that I get from them are wonderful! I do enjoy answering their questions about my heritage. Sad that there is little real American history being taught in our public schools.

I also have Native American cousins who are Seneca from Erie, Pa., Oneidas in the U.S. and Canada, Choctaws now from Pa., Shawnees in Pa. and Ohio, Munsees from Pa., and Chippewas from North Dakota!

There is an unbroken line from my Shawnee and Seneca-Oneida "grandfathers" through my Shawnee/Seneca-Oneida mother, to myself.

The Indian and white side of my families merged in the late 1800's to early 1900's, after the dust settled on all of the fights.

My father is of Pennsyvania Deutsche (German Amish) heritage. They are good people who live close to the earth. I was heartbroken when I heard of the recent school shootings of the innocent Amish girls!

One of my white ancestors on my father's side came to Pennsylvania on the same ship as William Penn. in the late 1600's. Half of the crew and passengers died of smallpox on the way from England to Philadelphia. The food and water w

Ken Lonewolf

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - October 28 2006 :  2:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You may contact me at my home pertaining to any future events at my e-mail address: lonewlf99@aol.com

Take care

Ken Lonewolf
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Phineus Cobb - Embedded Journalist Topic Next Topic: F&I War - coffee table book  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07