The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/17/2024 8:27:50 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Into The Wilderness ...
 A Visit to Colonial Williamsburg
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Not quite  the Wilderness, but.... Topic Next Topic: Docs Tactical 2004  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 07 2005 :  08:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Related links on this board: Words of Williamsburg & Williamsburg

I just returned from my first "full" visit of Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. Yeah, I'd been there ever so briefly back in the early 90s ... wandered in late in the afternoon and stayed for an hour or so. Walked into a couple of buildings & watched a militia maneuver on the field by the Court House for a bit ...

But this ... !

A wonderful place! WARNING: It'll cost you! Actually, the admission cost isn't so bad when one considers all that awaits you here ... admission to Biltmore Estate isn't much less, though there is MUCH less to see ... and, you can stay for THREE days. But, if you indulge yourself ... well, let's just say this isn't for the poverty stricken. A cheaper - family-oriented - admission plan would be nice.

I read in those other threads complaints of the place being "Disneyesque." Nope. Crowds aside [weren't, too bad, actually - and there were lots of school groups!] I found the place very authentic, very relaxing, very educational & enjoyable. As the sign on the walkway to the Towne, from the Visitor Center says, "Prepare to enter the 18th Century".

Since the entire place is a living museum, the Visitor Center is more a ticket/reservation booth & gift shop than an orientation museum, but there's an excellent little film they show there that nicely places Williamsburg in its historical context called, Williamsburg ... The Story of a Patriot. The gift shop is excellent ... what an array of books! A small café, too ... Shuttle busses run frequently to carry you around points on the perimeter, but I elected to walk ... into the 18th Century!

First thing you come upon when hoofing it is the Great Hopes Plantation ... a typical Virginian's simple farm. By the way, "slaves" are featured here - and throughout the town - living history is quite frequently presented through the eyes of slaves, so I would think the lack of African-American portrayal, mentioned in the other threads, has been seriously addressed. Then, you'll see the Windmill towering above, as you pass a serene little pond into the Towne.

Beyond, lays the Governor's Palace & the Palace Green where I was greeted by a costumed interpreter who walked me, and others, around the Green giving a very nice orientation to Colonial Williamsburg.

I took the tour and began to be immersed in the times. The only distracting thing being the booger dangling out of the interpretor's nose. Oh well ... it was a period-correct booger, at least!

I stayed for three days wandering around, talking with interpretors [no lack of them, either!], watching craftsmen [the gunsmith & the cabinet maker were particularly fascinating to observe], taking some guided tours, etc. It was excellent.

I took a carriage ride through the streets, lunched at Chowning's Tavern [twice], ate a delicious Colonial dinner one night at the King's Arm Tavern [excellent ale, BTW!!! ], and listened to colonial music while learning to dance & bow at the Mary Stith House. A fife & drum corp marched down the Duke of Gloucester Street in the evenings from the Palace Green to the Capitol, where the House of Burgesses met.

I went just about everywhere ... from the Wren Building on the campus of the College of William & Mary to the Public Gaol [jail] near the other end of town. Between, there were a marvelous assortment of homes, gardens, shops, taverns, and other public buildings ... many manned by interpretors ranging from slaves to aristocrats, male & female. Some were simply outstanding ... IE the woman at the Wigmaker's place and the slaves at the Randolph House & Kitchen. One other note ... most all the shops & craftsman's buildings were open ... contrary to the other threads [see links above] ... a couple might be closed one day, but w
report to moderator

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - May 07 2005 :  10:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sometime around last Christmas, Joe Hinson (Hawkeye Joe) and others of the New Acquisition Militia visited Williamsburg in Colonial dress. Now THAT would be the way to go!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 07 2005 :  11:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow, Rich! You described Colonial Williamsburg so beautifully!
It makes me want to jump on a plane and head back East to visit!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 07 2005 :  11:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I haven't been to Williamsburg since I was a teensy tot -- I remember
I loved it because there were horses everywhere, and I also remember vividly being locked in the stocks by my evil older sister! She was
just jealous because I was so cute and adorable. (She still is.)
I'd love to go back sometime. BTW, Willaimsburg puts out a lovely
mail order catalog. About the only thing I can afford to get from it
is the soap, but it's gorgeous to look at.

DOc M

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 08 2005 :  12:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds like you had a blast, Sachem. Fitz is right, to go to CW in period attire does make for a fun time indeed, I have done it myself on several occasions...

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 08 2005 :  08:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I thought of that ... but, wouldn't Francis Cooper appear a bit of a ruffian in such a fine town? I guess I could fairly easily switch to a more "civilized" look with a pair of trousers, stockings, & shoes, eh?

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 08 2005 :  08:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You are correct Sachem, Francis Cooper is a man of many 'hats' and always knows to dress so as to blend into the background (Due to his experience as an intellegence officer). If you remember from the chapter, "A Christmas Visitor (Part-1)", he dressed as a member of the upper-class gentry (of which he is) while reporting to Army Headquarters in New York City. Once I go back to the begining of my tale, you will see how Francis not only became a famous frontier diplomat, but also how he was one of the few colonials to hold a King's Commission (Much to the envy of a future 'Founding Father'). I will not spoil it for you now, but suffice it to say that you are present at more than a few historically important events, between the years of 1748 and 1768.

Your Most Humble Servant,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - May 08 2005 :  09:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, Williamsburg!
It was wonderful. I believe I ate at the same tavern, Rich, and the food was worth every penny. The atmosphere was priceless. My traveling partner and I chose to wear modern clothes so that we could be comfortable, but mostly because it keeps other tourists from asking you all sorts of questions. It happens a lot, I'm told. Rich, your notes makes me want to go back so bad!! I was there in early November, and the weather was perfect. We camped at the campground behind the pottery factory. Helped keep the trip costs down. But then, that's how I always like to travel. Not everyone likes to sleep on the ground!

I was able to find the tailor, who had moved to his own "digs" that he shared with another young artisan. I had hear about him beforehand, and that his handsewing is better than any machine invented. He was working on a young girl's pair of stays, and showed me that he was using real baleen for the boning. He said that it is possible to buy from the Alaskan Indians who harvest the baleen whales legally. It is not legal to buy it from other countries. However, there are many Alaskan Indians who use the baleen themselves to weave beautiful baskets. If anyone is interested in buying baleen for authentic boning, you can find several websites via Google.

Rose

Rose Dupre
AKA/Órelindë Tinehtelë
AKA/Polly Gamwich
Gordon's 60th Royal Americans
Detroit French Marines

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - May 08 2005 :  11:29:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Rose,

Small correction: Alaskan Eskimos, not Indians. Only the Eskimos hunt the baleen whales.

Everyone's stories of Williamsburg make me want to go there. I went when I was little and have only very vague memories.

Chris

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - May 08 2005 :  12:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chris
Small correction: Alaskan Eskimos, not Indians. Only the Eskimos hunt the baleen whales.

Sorry... I didn't know they weren't considered Indians. I know plenty about the plains indian tribes, but not much about Eskimos. ~Rose

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - May 08 2005 :  2:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Rose,

Having lived up here for so long, I don't know much about the Plains Indians, but I'm pretty good on the Alaska Native cultures. That's what's nice about this site: we have such a huge knowledge base of a number of time periods and cultures. It's fascinating.

Chris
  Previous Topic: Not quite  the Wilderness, but.... Topic Next Topic: Docs Tactical 2004  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.42 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07