The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/15/2024 10:21:35 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The LOTM Locations
 new to site
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The whole worlds on fire... Topic Next Topic: Friends of Dupont Forest Membership!  

charlene
Lost in the Wilderness

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 03 2005

Posted - August 03 2005 :  5:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone. Everyone in my family loves LOTM. We want to plan a family reunion in North Carolina where scenes from the movie were shot. Is Chimney Rock where they shot the last scene where she jumps off? Also, can anyone tell me where is a good place to stay for a week there. We would be interested in renting cabins. There are about 35 of us. Thanks alot. This is a great site. I am going to be reading more on the site. Charlene
report to moderator

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - August 04 2005 :  10:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome to the site Charlene. Unfortunately I have yet to make my journey to NC but I am hoping to be there next year. Alas I cannot provide any information for you but perhaps Rich or one of the prior gatherers could offer some help. I just wanted to extend a warm welcome to you! Stick around it gets pretty intense in here!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

vincent
Pioneer

Calvin
USA

May 20 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 04 2005 :  1:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello! Watch the LOTM movie before going and you will definitely recognize all if not most of the cliffs, rocks, trees, and the like. From a distance, you might be able to spot the Huron village next to a clearing to the right of the power lines.

You should do the opposite of what the trail map says. That is if then recommend Clockwise to walk the trail then you should go Counter-Clockwise in order to enjoy the view as it was shot in the movie. You can always confirm upon you arrive at Chimney Rock National Park. Another helpful hint is to take the elevator up to the Gift shop and then you can decide if you want to walk all the way back down to the parking lot. We did that one year...

The actors stayed at the Esmeralda Inn which last time we visited had closed down. That did not prevent us from dropping by to drive around the Inn.

Enjoy!

Kate
Ariel's Cabin Caretaker, Retired

United Kingdom

June 10 2002

Posted - August 04 2005 :  3:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Charlene! Welcome!

You'll LOVE Chimney Rock Park and the surrounding area! What a FABULOUS place to have a reunion!!

It was a WONDERFUL building, Charlene and Vincent's right in that it would be worth the look-see. There have been two terrible fires there but it rose like a phoenix out of the ashes and was rebuilt and used. It seems such a shame that after such devastation, it has now closed! The history of the place is really interesting, with many famous people having stayed there.

If you want to know more about the area, then... I'd suggest you try to get hold of the book "The Living Legacy of Hickory Nut Gorge" by Robert L. Williams. I bought a (signed, no less!) copy out of the (late) 'Cajun Pig' But I did see it in a few shops in Chimney Rock. It gives you all the low-down on people, places and various landmarks. I think you'd find it really interesting, if not useful!

Enjoy your reunion!

Kate

Kate

"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thainig thu." (Remember the people from whom you came.)

~ Celtic Wisdom

MooseHH
Lost in the Wilderness

Chingachgook
Germany

August 11 2005

Posted - August 11 2005 :  7:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi from Germany.
I just love the story of LOTM. I saw 1969 a TV Series here in germany and since then i'm a fan. It's a german 4 part tv-movie with the Deerhunter and Chingachgook. http://tv-abenteuer.net/Lederstrumpf.htm

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - August 17 2005 :  09:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow I just checked out the link you provided MooseHH. I must say it never ceases to amaze me at how advanced film making technology has become.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 17 2005 :  09:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mmmm, - interesting, even have Huckleberry Finn, quite a site! Good luck & hope you enjoy!

you can keep "The Change"

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 10 2006 :  2:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have never been there (yet), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!!!
  Previous Topic: The whole worlds on fire... Topic Next Topic: Friends of Dupont Forest Membership!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.22 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07