The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/19/2024 2:41:45 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Towne Crier's Square
 Washington the Warrior!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Wallpaper Page!! Topic Next Topic: Thanksgiving, ...  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 13 2006 :  10:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
His sacrifices are the measure of our patriots...

WASHINGTON THE WARRIOR
On THE HISTORY CHANNEL
®

Premieres Memorial Day – Monday, May 29th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT

NEW YORK, NY, MARCH 2, 2006 — He lost more battles than he won, faced mutinies among his men, and helped to ignite a war with reckless military decisions. And still to this day, George Washington is the standard by which all other American commanders are held. Unbowed in defeat and generous in victory, he showed America the way to greatness with grace, courage, and persistence under relentless fire from enemies and even friends. Find out how George Washington became America’s foremost founding father, one battle at a time, in the special The History Channel presentation, WASHINGTON THE WARRIOR, airing Monday, May 29th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT.

Though he eventually came into great wealth at the Mount Vernon estate, George Washington was born to more modest roots as a fifth-generation Virginian. Adamant in his desire to climb to higher social circles, he mastered physical skills and rules etiquette, then joined the military in search of the prestigious life of an officer. He gained a good reputation by completing dangerous missions on behalf of the British, but a series of missteps and defeats in 1754 led directly to the onset of the French and Indian War and held Washington up for public ridicule for the first time.

But he stood tall and received a second chance a year later when he assumed battlefield command of the Virginia Militia after its commander had been killed, dodging bullets on the front lines at Monongahela and forever gaining the respect of his men. From there he matured as a commander and helped drive the French from the Ohio Territory before retiring to Mount Vernon at age 27. Little did Washington know at the time that his military life had only just begun.

WASHINGTON THE WARRIOR taps experts, historians, authors, journals, and historical documents to tell the story of the man who spearheaded the American revolution with a fortitude that would not be denied. Authors Joseph J. Ellis, Caroline Cox, Edward G. Lengel, and Bruce Chadwick as well as Lt. Gen. Dave R. Palmer, previously the Superintendent of West Point U.S. Military Academy, headline a list of experts offering insight and perspective on the life, times, and mindset of George Washington.

More highlights of WASHINGTON THE WARRIOR include:

• The skills he learned and challenges he faced while running the Mount Vernon Estate, including the sudden death of his stepdaughter Patsy and growing antagonism toward the British and their business and taxation practices.
• Washington’s time in the Continental Congress, during which his remarkable charisma and resolve earned him the role as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army in the fight against the British.
• Washington’s efforts to pull together the discipline and attention of his undermanned army to fight the most powerful force in the world, a task that would be revisited several times over the course of the Revolutionary War as he struggled to keep the army from total disintegration.
• His Revolutionary War triumphs as Boston, Trenton, and Princeton, and the lowly disappointments of Manhattan, Long Island, and Kip’s Bay.
• The brutal winter at Valley Forge, during which American soldiers died by the dozen from bitter cold, disease, and a lack of supplies, but where Washington cemented his status as a beloved leader by staying with his men day in and day out throughout the winter.
• His final masterstroke at Yorktown, where Washington’s army turned the tide of the entire war in the eleventh hour, delivering a knockout blow to his rival Cornwallis with the help of a French Naval fleet.
• After defeating the British, Washington again proves his immeasurable wort
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 13 2006 :  9:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Holy Cow! You have certainly gotten my attention, Rich! I have been watching so little TV lately that I had not seen any advertisements for this series. Thank you so much for posting it! I certainly know where I will be on Memorial Day night! Wow! I cannot wait!

It looks like they have found a good man, appearance-wise, to portray the 40-odd year old Washington. His facial characteristics are similar and he has a noble bearing, judging from the photos.

Huzzah!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 14 2006 :  08:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
'Twas you had foremost in mind when I posted that, Lassie! Glad to have made your day!

Looks like it might be a good one!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 14 2006 :  09:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

How sweet you are!

I have to tell you that by the time I finished reading numbers 10 and 11 near the bottom, I had tears flowing down my cheeks. And then to add to those images, the one of this strong, wise and noble warrior tenderly holding his stepdaughter in his arms as she had a seizure and died... There is just something about that man that touches me so. How I wish I had known him.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 14 2006 :  4:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It was written in the PA Gazette after Braddock's Defeat that Washington(who was only a volunteer,and had no rank)organized a rear guard to allow the army to escape.This would have been no small feat.If so,then GW has my vote.

Highlander

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 21 2006 :  08:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
UPDATES!

If you've got broadband - which I don't! - you will really enjoy ths link: Washington the Warrior Special Effects! Very cool!

I have a promo copy of the show in hand ... no secrets, just that it is REALLY good! Watch it!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 21 2006 :  09:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

I have a promo copy of the show in hand ...

Just how did you manage that!

And you are right, that special effects video page is awesome!

Ooooooooo..... I can't wait! {WW dances up and down in place, clapping her hands!]

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 29 2006 :  10:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just one of the little perks I sometimes enjoy as "webmaster" of this site!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - May 29 2006 :  12:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very, very interesting trailer, - well done indeed. Looking forward to seeing the real thing tonight. ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - May 29 2006 :  12:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Hey! I'm a webmaster and I don't get any perks!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 29 2006 :  7:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

quote:

Hey! I'm a webmaster and I don't get any perks!

Me too, Me too!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 29 2006 :  7:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"...and me, too," wails WW.

I think the key words here are "webmaster of this site"!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2006 :  10:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I looked forward to this program with much anticipation. I am glad to say that I was not disappointed. I thought it was quite well done and I enjoyed it immensely. I plan to purchase the DVD to add to my collection.

I am studiously avoiding the other thread, as I don't want to get any more involved in the nitpicking. But I have to say to you, Fitz, that I think your wife and I would get along quite well.

And now I see that I have something else to look forward to: another series on the American Revolution.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, WW, the good wife lacks the appreciation of historic detail. I have her talked into going to Old Salem Village this July, so we'll just have to see how that one goes. She has gotten used to watching LOTM with me, and doesn't seem to mind when I cheer for the French and the Hurons!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - May 30 2006 :  8:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm with you WW, - and am looking forward to next weeks screw-ups!

you can keep "The Change"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2006 :  9:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[WW laughs in delight!] Yes MG, screw-ups can be fun to watch, too!

Fitz, I do have a small confession to make. Just so that no one can accuse me of not caring about historic detail, I spotted a cap on a woman that I felt belonged in the 19th century (more like a Pioneer bonnet than a cap), rather than the 18th. But you know, I didn't let it spoil the whole show for me. I just gave a little shudder and shrugged it off.

Well, enough about that. Good show. Really good show.

Previous Topic: Wallpaper Page!! Topic Next Topic: Thanksgiving, ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.39 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07