The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/16/2024 10:46:04 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 BUMPPIN' 'ROUND BUMPPO'S
 The Tales MacWilliam ...
 1747....In Penns Woods and In Scotland
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Arrival in the Allemaengel Topic Next Topic: All That 18th Century Stuff by Ossian Gunn  

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 13 2002

Posted - September 26 2002 :  10:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On this particular day in Penns Woods, Christian (later to be called Three Tales, his brother Michael (later to be called Many Flags), and their cousin Seamus (always to be called Seamus), had left the cabin in the Allemaengel for a trek to the largest town nearby, that of Reading. The German immigrant (Andreas Hagenbuch) had sent his two sons and his nephew off to barter for some provisions: some flints and lead, some sewing notions for his wife Maggie. Maggie had protested about her nephew Seamus's accompaniment with the other two boys, because as she scornfully said, "If he is my brother Quasi's son, then he should be here working like a banshee instead of going off to the Town, cause his father never did a lick of work in his day...the ne'er do well!!" But, her husband the Immigrant quieted her with a dark scowl, and he checked the lads' packs and some food was sent with them for their two day journey to Reading.

On this particular day in Scotland, young Malcolm MacWilliam, 15 years of age, was waiting quietly in the stone hut of his Uncle Angus near Caithness. He was there to meet the one who had changed his name from MacWilliam to the clan name Gunn, so as to throw off the chase of the King's men, the chase which had lasted for more than a year, since Culloden the year before. The one Malcolm was there to meet was his own dear brother, Davey "Gunn", who had escaped the debacle of Culloden, shielding the Bonnie Prince for the past year until the Stewart could get hisself back to France. Now, the word had reached Malcolm that his brother was able to meet with him, although Malcolm now wore the coat of a British soldier, having enlisted by the word of his grandfather William MacWilliam who had saved his grandson's life at Culloden.

And so, two sets of lads, two places in the world, destined to meet and become the characters in the Chronicles.....Pax Aye!

Edited by - many flags on September 27 2002 06:57:20 AM
report to moderator

Three Tales
Pathfinder

Hawkeye
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 09 2002

Posted - September 26 2002 :  9:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm wondering......do i ever meet myself? I guess if i ask Davey, he would know. He may be smarter than me. I know....i'll read the Chronicles....that'll tell me. Guess i'm just as smart as Davey.

report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Arrival in the Allemaengel Topic Next Topic: All That 18th Century Stuff by Ossian Gunn  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.2 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07