The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/18/2024 1:01:53 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 Colonial Consciousness
 Huron history, ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Molly Brant and Sir William Topic Next Topic: We hold these truths ... The Declaration of Independence  

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 14 2005

Posted - December 11 2006 :  5:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a rather brief history, ....http://www.caca.essortment.com/huronindians_rjru.htm

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - December 23 2006 :  3:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings,

A white relative, Jacob Knisely, was captured by the Wyandot near Ligonier, Penna. in the late 1700's. He was abuot four years of age when taken by the Wyandot to a village on the shores of Lake Erie. He was raised Wyandot and he had a Wayandot wife and family. Jacob was given the name "Crow" (the English translation). During the "Indian Removals" of the 1830's, he and his family followed his people to Oklahoma, where his descendants (my cousins) now reside on a reservation. Since they have not mixed with whites since the 1700's, they now appear to be full blood Indians. They are the Crow and Whitecrow families. Both the white and Wyandot families knew the story of Jacob's capture, and they began to search for family members in about 2001. We found each other through the internet in 2002, and a reunion was held in Ligonier in 2003. The families had been separated for over 228 years. We are now one family again.

Some of our Knisely kin, the Senecas and Choctaws and the white side of the family, met at our annual Lenni-Lenape pow-wow near Saltsburg, Penna. in August of last summer. Of course, I was the Shawnee representative of this family "reunion". It was the first time that these "Knisely" descendats had met in over 250 years. It was a good day. The Senecas and Choctaws, and the Wyandots are not Lenni-Lenape Algonkin speakers, but all are welcome at the pow-wow. The Shawnee are part of the Lenni-Lenape (Original People) who comprise about forty tribal nations from the west coast to the east coast, and into Canada. All speak dialects of the Algonkin language. The Delawares are called Lenni-Lenape, but they are really the Unamis (Turtles), the Unalachtigos (Turkeys), and the Munsees (Wolves). "Delaware" is not an Indian word. The state of Delaware and the Delaware River was named for Thomas West, Lord De-La-War. The Indians living on that river got stuck with this white name. The Unamis are the speakers of the most original of our language groups. All Algonkin dialects traces to them. The are the Lenni-Lenape "Mothers"of all of our Algonkin speaking people who have been in North America for over forty thousand years.
Prior to European arrival,their homeland on the east shores of New Jersey and Delaware was called Lennopahoking!

Ken Lonewolf
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - December 23 2006 :  5:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Quite an interesting history lesson Lonewolf, - thank you very much. ... A little "something" along those lines. ... http://www.anthro4n6.net/lenape/

you can keep "The Change"

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - December 26 2006 :  12:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Deerslayer,

The following are our "Lenni-Lenape" people, all Algonkin speaking groups, and probably the largest linguistic group in North Amrica prior to European contact. They are:

Cree, Old Algonkin, Montagnais, Chippewa, Ottawa, Pottawattomie, Miami, Peoria, Pea, Piankishaw, Kaskaskia, Menominee, Sac, Fox, Kikapoo, Sheshatapoosh, Secoffee, Micmac, Melisceet, Etchemin, Abanaki, Mohegan, Massachusetts, Shawnee, Munsee (Minsi), Unami, Unalachtigo, Nanticoke, Powhatan, Pampticoke, Blackfoot, Gros Ventre, Shiela(Cheyenne), Peqout, Narraganset, Pascataway, and Illinois.

Some of the spelling of these names vary depending on the author of the books that are written about us.

The Lenni-Lenape have been in North America for approximately forty to fifty thousand years.

I am a "cousin" of Matoaka (Pocahontas) through relatives who are Powhatan.

Whether she ever saved Captain John Smith from being put to death by the Powhatans is open for historical debate, but she did marry John Rolfe later. She already had children by her first husband, a Powhatan Indian, prior to marrying John Rolfe. She had one daughter by John. Unfortunately, Matoaka died while on a trip to England, and she is buried in Gravesend, England. Earlier this year, some of my Virginia Nottaway Indian friends were guests of the town of Gravesend, who paid their way to England as part of the upcoming 400th anniversary of Colonial Jamestown. They and myself are going to be present at some of the Jamestown events next year. I may also go to Europe next summer, and while there, I will sprinkle tobacco on the area that Pocahontas is thought to be buried.

Ken Lonewolf

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 26 2006 :  10:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very intersting thread... thank you!

Just curious.. why tobacco?

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"
  Previous Topic: Molly Brant and Sir William Topic Next Topic: We hold these truths ... The Declaration of Independence  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.26 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07